8th & 9th Generation Civic 2006 - 2015 9th Gen 2012 - 2015.
8th Gen 2006 - 2011.
9th Gen Chassis Codes: FB2, FB4, FB6, FG 3, FG4.
8th Gen Chassis Codes: FG1, FG2, FA1, FA3, FA5.

R18 TSI Turbo

Old 05-25-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DrunkinStuper will become famous soon enough
R18 TSI Turbo

Hey yall, I am now cleared from the wife to spend the 4 grand to get a turbo kit for my 2011 lx coupe. I looked through the forums and it seems that the kit has been installed on some of yalls civics but not updated for awhile. My concerns are to try and get hold of one or two of you to get final decisions and problems you may have encountered installing the kit. PM me if you have done the installation and are currently running the kit in your whip. Thanks in advance.

The kit I'm looking at is
http://www.procivic.com/pages-produc...963/index.html

Last edited by DrunkinStuper; 05-25-2011 at 11:34 AM. Reason: update URL
Old 05-25-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of
Re: R18 TSI Turbo

The TSI is a good kit, all the parts are decent quality and it should put you around 200hp. Flash-pro is also an excellent option for tuning on an R18, way better than some of the other engine management programs.
Old 05-27-2011
Registered!!

Exclamation Re: R18 TSI Turbo

Ok, Parts are going to be ordered on Tuesday. I'm still trying to figure out if I have to get a few items, ie Turbo Timer, Boost Gauge, and Wideband o2 Sensor/Gauge. Also If I get the gauges, where and the heck am i supposed to mount them? Anyone, if you have an opinion or want to chime me in on something I'm missing, I'm all ears. If you have any pictures of mounting locations for the gauges, once again by all means I'm open to suggestions, and would greatly appreciate it. During the install I will be taking pictures of everything, and actually will have a dedicated person there to take pictures/manage cuss cup. So if you have anything to add or a heads up..... between now and May 31, 2011 (4 days) I'm open for slander and advice, lol.
Old 05-27-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

Looking forward to seeing the pics, it sounds like you'll have a sick spread of photos.

I would definitely get the extra gauges, it's nice to know exactly what's happening with the turbo at a glance, even if your running a conservative tune. Most people mount them to the c-pillar with a trim peice molded to fit gauges, but I've seen them mounted just about everywhere since some people prefer a more discrete mounting spot.

The turbo timer isn't necessary unless you go with the ball bearing turbo upgrade, just give the engine a minute to idle and cool down before you shut if off if you've been beating on it hard.

Are you planning to dyno tune or street tune?

Last edited by MindBomber; 05-27-2011 at 12:48 AM.
Old 05-27-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by MindBomber
Looking forward to seeing the pics, it sounds like you'll have a sick spread of photos.

I would definitely get the extra gauges, it's nice to know exactly what's happening with the turbo at a glance, even if your running a conservative tune. Most people mount them to the c-pillar with a trim peice molded to fit gauges, but I've seen them mounted just about everywhere since some people prefer a more discrete mounting spot.

Are you planning to dyno tune or street tune?
I haven't seen any c-pillar trim's available for the car, and maybe because theres an airbag right there? Or its just a label reminding us that if i mount something here in the event of a crash it will be launched into my face.

With the pictures, i haven't seen anyone document the installation procedure besides having the front bumper off, and hood. I want to create that broad spectrum of questions that people have, because i'm one of them lol, and personally a picture person (insert southern jokes).

I will be street tuned, and dyno adjusted, then street again for perfection.
Old 05-27-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

There's an airbag there, well, I wouldn't mount anything there then...
I own a 7th gen, so my 8th gen specific knowledge has some small gaps... *cough*

Anyway..

If your planning to do street tuning then get the wideband 02 and guage, you'll need the more accurate sensor to give you the current stats as you make adjustments. If you were strictly dyno tuning you could have the tuner hook up a wideband for tuning purposes and remove it when they're done, and in that case the sensor/gauge would just be a nice extra to keep an eye on things while your driving.

I've heard tuning with a stock 02 sensor described this way before, "Have you ever tried to measure a bag of chronic on a bathroom scale, you just can't get an accurate reading”.

I'll stick this thread once the pictures are up, everyone loves pics
Old 05-28-2011
Registered!!

Trying to figure out which turbo timer to go with, digital of course so i can eliminate the need for a boost gauge/clutter. Any ideas?? I'll be running 9lbs of boost so right from the get go i need to turn up the boost from 6-7 to 9-10. (Internal Wastegate GT25BB).

Car is going to be put on the Dyno for 1 pull on Wednesday as a base to compare numbers, and fun. Depending on Fridays installation it will be tuned on Saturday, or Monday if things don't go smooth.
Old 05-28-2011
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

Subscribed Can't wait to see this progress.
Old 06-01-2011
Registered!!

Ok, Today's Dyno run didn't put the numbers that i wanted to start with, even did two pulls with a +1WHP gain on second run. 142WHP 121TQ. I have the K&N 69 Series Typhoon CAI installed with the C&C Cat Back Exhaust. The Turbo kit "Should" be here by this Friday, so I'll put hopes up for Saturday as installation day and Monday as Tune Day. Goal is going to be 230WHP.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Dyno1.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	19.5 KB
ID:	80931   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0038.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	21.2 KB
ID:	80932  
Old 06-06-2011
Registered!!

Well parts start dripping in today according to UPS, not thrilled that I couldn't get hold of them Friday, but between a clearing check in the bank and military inspections facility for packages they will arrive today, and tomorrow. I'm expecting to be installing Thursday and Friday. One brain storming session this morning and my top concern is the drilling into my oil pan. A 15mm drill bit, that I still haven't found yet, and the removal of the sub frame of my car isn't thrilling, nor the non reusable hardware for the oil pan has got me in knots.

I need serious opinions on a oil catch can idea. The theory is to catch the oil out of the turbo, and route it back into the engine via the top breather. Anyone tried this yet, or know the oil flow rate coming out of the turbo? I understand its a gravity issue, just physics aren't working with the noodle right now.

Any feedback is good feedback.
Old 06-06-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Ahhh.. the day when all the boxes from a big parts order start rolling in!

If drilling into the oil pan makes you nervous take it off, run to a shop and have them do that step. It's one of the parts that makes me nervous too, probably because it's a one shot deal, but it's not that bad in reality.

I could write something on oil catch cans, but I have a really good write-up on them bookmarked at home, I'll post it up later tonight. They're definitely a good idea.
Old 06-06-2011
Registered!!

Parts Rolling in.... AEM UEGO Wideband, AEM Tru-Boost, Greddy type RZ BOV, Denso Iridium plugs.

Name:  IMAG0050.jpg
Views: 1141
Size:  115.4 KB
Old 06-08-2011
Registered!!

Turbo Kit is in, front bumper is off, reservations for shop time start at 1000 tomorrow!! Looking forward to showing the full installation. Check out the DYI I did on the front bumper this afternoon and let me know if I need to be more specific on instruction.

Name:  IMAG0075.jpg
Views: 1209
Size:  112.5 KB
Old 06-08-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Alright, i know this link being to an audi forum seems a bit strange, but it really is an excellent explination and it has a diagram for reference. The information transfers right over to honda engines because we have pcv valvess too.

http://www.audifreaks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=753

Also, garret has a great faq on turbos, better than any on any forum... which considering they make turbos is probably a good thing

http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbob...nter/faqs.html

I love when parts start rolling in, it's like christmas, except you got to buy your own presents

Ps. you should make a build thread in member rides, everyone loves to watch builds progress as you add more mods.

Last edited by MindBomber; 06-08-2011 at 01:36 AM.
Old 06-08-2011
Registered!!

I will check it out tonight. Great links Mindbomber! The next three days are all dedicated to this project, I'm going to pull the oil pan first, and instead of just threading the turbo oil drain line fitting directly onto the oil pan, I'm going to make a bung, and weld it to the oil pan, then thread the fitting into that. This will eliminate the high chance of a leak.