8th & 9th Generation Civic 2006 - 2015 9th Gen 2012 - 2015.
8th Gen 2006 - 2011.
9th Gen Chassis Codes: FB2, FB4, FB6, FG 3, FG4.
8th Gen Chassis Codes: FG1, FG2, FA1, FA3, FA5.

Fuel additives/Fuel injector cleaner safe?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RemyL31 will become famous soon enough
Fuel additives/Fuel injector cleaner safe?

I have tried looking this up everywhere but can't find any info on it.

I didn't know where to post this either, but is using Fuel injector cleaners/fuel additives safe for the 8th gen 1.8 Civic LX??

I was thinking of maybe running some Seafoam through the gas or maybe some Lucas Fuel Treatment/injector cleaner.

Are they safe? Thanks
Old 03-24-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of
Re: Fuel additives/Fuel injector cleaner safe?

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...oam-today.html
Old 03-24-2011
Registered!!

I don't ever plan on running it through the vac. system or oil...I would only add a little bit to the gas, but thanks for the reply
Old 03-24-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

far as i know, the cleaners are safe to use. I use from time to time, no problems whatsoever.
My injectors got slightly biggers, though (Last sentence is a joke!!!)
Old 03-24-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

ive been using lubecontrol.com additives in oil and gas every day for 5 yrs and no problems. theyre the only additives i would recommend for long term use that actually work.
Old 03-24-2011
Registered!!

Too Tall will become famous soon enoughToo Tall will become famous soon enough

If you ever use any type of fuel injection cleaner or engine oil flush, and you notice any improvement, then your fuel injectors or engine were clogged up to begin with. Look into why your having such problems.

If you keep your motor tuned up properly, and suddenly notice a drop in gas mileage or rough running engine, then try adding FI cleaner and see if mpg returns to normal.

Pouring any cleaner into the power brake booster line does not make any sense to me because there is no guarantee it will get to all the internal engine parts equally.

I add FI cleaner every 10 to 20k miles. I run a full synthetic oil so I don't ever have to run a flush through the engine.
Old 03-25-2011
Registered!!

I don't notice any drop in MPG...just want to make sure the injectors stay clean or if there is a little build up, remove it all with a bottle of FI cleaner
Old 03-26-2011
Registered!!

Check your gas mileage when new (after break in) or after a full engine tune up. Compare it to similar cars. As long as your getting normal gas mileage, you don't need to add FI cleaner.

Keep track of how many miles you drive between needing to add FI cleaner. Determine for yourself how often you need to add it. Some people say every tank, others never use it at all. Driving conditions, cars, and gas varies.
Old 03-26-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

My only comment would be that using good quality gas and oil is far more important than concerning yourself with additives, preventing the contaminants from entering the system is better than trying to clean it out. That means transitioning to group IV or V synthetic oil early in the engines life and exclusively using Chevron or Shell gas.

Did you know that American gas has much lower regulatory standards than Canadian gas, thats one of the reason American imports aren't worth much here and anyone who does import a car usually changes the fuel filter immediately. Quality gas is seriously important.
Old 03-26-2011
Registered!!

I use Shell or Chevron as much as possible. I try to use a brand that advertises some additive that acts as a FI cleaner. I also use Amsoil extended drain oils.

My last two cars, here in Southern California USA, had 95 K miles on them when they were totaled in separate accidents (other guy's fault). My current car has 85,000 miles without any FI problems. How much better can cars/gas in Canada be?

Gas formulas have no effect on the fuel filter. Liquids pass through the filter unaffected. The filter will trap sand and grit particles that get into the system from the outside environment. For example, if you open the gas cap of your car during a dust storm, dust will get in. Rust inside gas tanks is another contaminate that can clog filters.

A big factor in fuel filter life is if the gas pump actually has a filter or not. Some brands of gas pumps have caps that can replace the filter. Some gas station owners remove the filter to save costs of labor and filters.

Never get gas immediately after a fuel truck has dumped fuel at the gas station. That stirs up all the contaminates in the bottom of the underground gas tank which is then pumped directly into your car's gas tank if the filters at the pump have been removed or bypassed.

Ever tried to pump gas into your car and the flow of gas was very slow? A clogged pump filter will cause the slow down. At least you know the station owner is using pump filters.

I worked on gas station pumps and equipment 30 years ago.
Old 12-12-2013
"Honda - tried, true & tested...!"

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
brags is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: Fuel additives/Fuel injector cleaner safe?

BG 44K comes in a can very strong Concentrated Proffesional Grade
Very strong But very safe to use as well. this stuff can be a little hard to find just google BG find a shop for nearest location to You. pour into the tank "BE CAREFULL NOT TO GET IT ON PAINT..!" or it may damage it. pour in and drive works AWESOME its what I use. and really notice a difference.