8th & 9th Generation Civic 2006 - 2015 9th Gen 2012 - 2015.
8th Gen 2006 - 2011.
9th Gen Chassis Codes: FB2, FB4, FB6, FG 3, FG4.
8th Gen Chassis Codes: FG1, FG2, FA1, FA3, FA5.

noob question, etc

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2011
wife's DD: 2011 CIVIC LX.. which I use often

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BANSwee is an unknown quantity at this point
noob question, etc

1st post here. I bought my wife a civic LX last FEB ( but I drove it often). I have some questions that I can't find answer to. Hope some of the civic Guru's will chime in.

*I have noticed that the front tires looks under inflated BUT I don't have the low tire pressure warning-- which leads me to question 1.. whats the weight distribution on the civic.

*we have not accumulated at least 600miles BUT I want to really step on the gas especially on freeways-- do you guys recommend on doing hard acceleration even though I'm under 600 miles break-in period?

Thanks

I forgot what else. I'll post again

Thanks in advance
Old 03-18-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of
Re: noob question, etc

*Tire pressure sensors are there as a fail-safe for people who don't check the tires once a week like they're supposed to. Just because the sensor isn't activated doesn't mean they're not under-inflated. FYI: Under-inflation can affect gas mileage.

*No, wait until the break-in period is over.

I'm not meaning to sound like an azz, just trying to give good advice.
Old 03-18-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

just check the pressure and compare it to the recommended specs in the driver door frame sticker. i think its around 30psi or something. its normal for them to look saggy. i would drive it normally and if you need to step on the gas a bit to get on the freeway its fine, but i wouldnt go around flooring it. most newer engines dont fully break in for 10-20k miles.
Old 03-18-2011
Kenny the Ricer

Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Brand new 2011 civic?

The tire pressure information should be on your panel when you open your driver side door
Old 03-18-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by gearbox
just check the pressure and compare it to the recommended specs in the driver door frame sticker. i think its around 30psi or something. its normal for them to look saggy. i would drive it normally and if you need to step on the gas a bit to get on the freeway its fine, but i wouldnt go around flooring it. most newer engines dont fully break in for 10-20k miles.
There're two theories in engine break-in, baby it and keep the revs low for the first 10-20k miles or drive hard and red line it everyday. Gear subscribes to the gentle school of thought, I and most hardcore Honda tuners who build race motors believe the later method is better for seating the valve seals and such.
Old 03-18-2011
wife's DD: 2011 CIVIC LX.. which I use often

BANSwee is an unknown quantity at this point

brand new-- yep.

I did not checked the tire pressure myself because its just barely a month old since I have it

hmmm, we have plans on driving to PA it would be hard not to get past 4500RPM on freeway (especially overtaking those monster truck)

anyways, dyo guys know the weight distribution on the civic? I just want to know because I may lower the back springs BUT the front looks "lowered" already..

Thanks
Old 03-18-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

@MindBomber: Just wondering, how long does a "race" engine last? By race I'm asking what kind of racing- autoX, drag, street sleeper? And are you using aftermarket (turbo and what-not) or bigger Honda parts (engines or injectors and what-not). By how long I mean what usually goes first- headgasket, valves, rings, etc?
Old 03-18-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by MindBomber
There're two theories in engine break-in, baby it and keep the revs low for the first 10-20k miles or drive hard and red line it everyday. Gear subscribes to the gentle school of thought, I and most hardcore Honda tuners who build race motors believe the later method is better for seating the valve seals and such.
since i never bought a new car in me life, can't answers by experience, but some say that an engine revved more during earlier life, revs happier in the later life (but sure about their afterlife, though ). Not really sure about the veracity of this statement either.
Of course, i would not rev it redline all the time during the first 1000 km (600 miles?).
My rebuilt engines were babied until then and after oil change (twice), and confirming that nothing was wrong, i would step on the gas
Old 03-18-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by lazlong
@MindBomber: Just wondering, how long does a "race" engine last? By race I'm asking what kind of racing- autoX, drag, street sleeper? And are you using aftermarket (turbo and what-not) or bigger Honda parts (engines or injectors and what-not). By how long I mean what usually goes first- headgasket, valves, rings, etc?
I know people who have built all of the above examples and even just done straight unmodified rebuild that subscribe to the pushing it hard to get everything seated properly theory, usually without any mechanical issues, the only major issue that comes to mind is sometime piston rings going in two cylinders on a b18c5.

I'm not discounting the gentle theory, just sharing my experience.
Old 03-18-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Originally Posted by BANSwee
brand new-- yep.

I did not checked the tire pressure myself because its just barely a month old since I have it

hmmm, we have plans on driving to PA it would be hard not to get past 4500RPM on freeway (especially overtaking those monster truck)

anyways, dyo guys know the weight distribution on the civic? I just want to know because I may lower the back springs BUT the front looks "lowered" already..

Thanks
I haven't seen a weight distribution measurement on any civics built post 2000 unfortunately. What I can say is that they don't sell lowering springs individually so you'd need to buy a complete set, usually the front is lowered a bit and the rear more, so it gives a level look.
Old 03-18-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

autoX actually is not that tough on the car/engine - short busrts, is all. warm the engine before the rum, i guess.

weight distribution - not sure what exactly, but i hear the 8th gen is more neutral in cornering, have seen some oversteering (or they did think it was, i bet mroe on driver's error), which makes me think the car have better distribution than the 7th gen?