8th & 9th Generation Civic 2006 - 2015 9th Gen 2012 - 2015.
8th Gen 2006 - 2011.
9th Gen Chassis Codes: FB2, FB4, FB6, FG 3, FG4.
8th Gen Chassis Codes: FG1, FG2, FA1, FA3, FA5.

What kind of range do you get on your Civic on a single tank of fuel?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2011
Kenny the Ricer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What kind of range do you get on your Civic on a single tank of fuel?

Best Explanation
5 Things Your Car Doesn't Need
1. Higher-Grade Fuel

Each vehicle is engineered to accept a certain grade fuel as determined by the engine's compression ratio. If your owner's manual says your car is rated for regular gasoline and you've been feeding it premium, you're wasting your money. The only difference between the two is that premium has a higher resistance to knock, or pre-ignition, than regular gasoline. While you can run premium in a regular engine, it will neither clean it nor give you any additional power. Meanwhile, using regular in an engine that requires premium could cause serious mechanical damage.
http://editorial.autos.msn.com/slide...ntid=1145479#2
Old 03-15-2011
Trance Addict

MelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of light

Thank you. What are the other four? Lol. Super 5 inch exhaust?
Old 03-15-2011
Kenny the Ricer

Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute

2. Nitrogen in Your Tires
3. Far-Fetched Fuel-Saving Gizmos
4. Potions
5. Wheels, Stereos and TVs
Old 03-15-2011
Trance Addict

MelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of light

. I think nitrogen helps the tires much better because it deflates much, much slower than just regular air, and some car manufacturers are putting them in the tires from the factory. I wouldn't pay for it, but I get what the article is saying.

Last edited by MelJ; 03-15-2011 at 07:12 PM.
Old 03-19-2011
Registered!!

black sox is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: What kind of range do you get on your Civic on a single tank of fuel?

with fuel prices riseing i traded my ford freestar van in on a 08 civic lx.
I travel 100km to work 1way.In the morning i do 85km per hr on scenic #2hwy.On my way home i use 401 @ 100km/perhr.this week i filled tank right to the top right now i have 820km(510mi)with 2bars left Iv'e kept rpm under 2500 when takeing off from stops.I dont usually drive this easy but wanted to see how far i could stretch a tank of fuel,so a light foot really makes a difference on fuel consumption .
Old 03-28-2011
Registered!!

chimerical is an unknown quantity at this point

* Honda Civic LX-S 2010 (automatic 5-speed, 4-cylinder, 1.8 L, 140 hp)
* Always using Chevron octane unleaded 87 (regular) in California

At the yellow low fuel indicator and one notch on fuel levels remaining:
* 286.7 miles with 10.859 gallons consumed
= 26.4 mpg (slightly more city driving)

* 290.1 miles with 10.662 gallons consumed
= 27.2 mpg (slightly more highway driving)

Tank capacity: 13.2 gallons
Advertised EPA mileage: 25 mpg city / 36 mpg highway
Advertised EPA vehicle range: 345 miles

I'm not getting anywhere near the average between 25/36 city/highway. My car spends most of its time at 2000 to 3200 RPM on relatively flat highways at 50 to 70 mph (on "D"). I'm not sure if this is normal for this type of car, but it always seemed a bit high to me.

Last edited by chimerical; 03-28-2011 at 11:28 PM.
Old 04-08-2011
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by ubnpast
Ive been getting about 230 miles to half of a tank which = 37-39mpg.

Another big factor is where you get gas, if you go to the cheap knock off guy to save 4 cents a gallon its going to cost you more because your car will use more gas (from what I found around here). Ive been going to shell for the past 2 months and ive been gettingn excellent gas milage.

Depending on how many miles are on your car, I dont think a tune up will help (it wont hurt either), newer cars are designed to be mostly maintenance free until 100k miles (besides the normal stuff such as oil, filter, tires, brakes).

beat you. i drove to vegas n babied my car the whole way about 70mph ish. i got 42.4mpg

Old 04-08-2011
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by chimerical

I'm not getting anywhere near the average between 25/36 city/highway. My car spends most of its time at 2000 to 3200 RPM on relatively flat highways at 50 to 70 mph (on "D"). I'm not sure if this is normal for this type of car, but it always seemed a bit high to me.

wow, 8th gens are pretty horrible on gas... are they exiting the eco box stage? (all cars eventually do because they get bigger and more powerful...and then manufactures have to make new cars like the CRZ)
Old 04-08-2011
Registered!!

RemyL31 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by chimerical

Sounds like something is not right...but I wouldn't think that something is wrong with the car all ready being that new (depending on how many miles it has and driving conditions) Hopefully the car isn't a lemon

I would check your air filter and spark plugs as those are very poor highway miles you are getting...

My '07 LX gets at least 35 mpg and I drive mostly up and down hills and curvy roads...not flat highway
Old 04-08-2011
Trance Addict

Keep in mind you have a manual . Although autos are getting better with fuel economy, the right person can easily beat the EPA numbers in a standard. If I keep a light foot, I can easily manage 34 mpg.....and my car is 11 years old. Lately though, my gas mileage has been around 27 combined. I think I can chalk that up to just driving in the city a lot now though. When I was just driving to work and back, 30 mpg wasn't unusual since I was on the highway 90% of the time.
Old 04-08-2011
Registered!!

RemyL31 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by MelJ
Keep in mind you have a manual . Although autos are getting better with fuel economy, the right person can easily beat the EPA numbers in a standard. If I keep a light foot, I can easily manage 34 mpg.....and my car is 11 years old. Lately though, my gas mileage has been around 27 combined. I think I can chalk that up to just driving in the city a lot now though. When I was just driving to work and back, 30 mpg wasn't unusual since I was on the highway 90% of the time.
I believe the Automatics beat the manuals according to the EPA numbers...

A Honda dealer told me that a while back (I never looked into it) He said that the auto's are smarter shifters...I would agree with that if the manual driver winds out each gear, but that is not the case with all drivers...

Torque converters are always going to soak up some power and lower mpg's vs. a clutch...

Either way, the 8th gen auto's and standards are very close in mpg's and should get at least in the mid 30's if not romped on or high speeds with majority highway driving
Old 04-08-2011
Registered!!

Gunboy96 is an unknown quantity at this point

2007 Civic EX, I get 400 on 10.5 gallons
Old 04-08-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by RemyL31
I believe the Automatics beat the manuals according to the EPA numbers...
for the average driver (not much smarts).
Even with shorter EX gearing (autos have much longer final drive) i still get 27-28 mostly city. mix gets 30's from time to time, sometimes 33 with no AC, long HWY drives net me 44.
Old 04-08-2011
Trance Addict

Gah. You guys make me wanna attempt to hypermile one of these weeks. Lol.
Old 04-08-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

and my AEM filter is clogged - need to clean it...
Old 04-08-2011
Kenny the Ricer

Gah. You guys make me wanna attempt to hypermile one of these weeks. Lol.
Yep, especially gas in the bay area is tipping 4.17 for REG

I would love to try to hypermile, but whenever I go through a tunnel....
I get a little kiddish with my SRI

That is until...
I'm going 70 in the tunnels full throttle, and the prius next to me tells me to move cos i'm in the way
Old 04-08-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Originally Posted by sl33pyriceboi
beat you. i drove to vegas n babied my car the whole way about 70mph ish. i got 42.4mpg
and that's with all the extra weight you carry just in your clusters?!? don't even want to know what's that purpli-sh stuff there
Old 04-08-2011
Registered!!

hath33 will become famous soon enough

drive as close as you can behind 18 wheelers every time you get on the freeway. on long distant trips it can really get you some great mileage. truckers dont like it though haha
Old 04-08-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Originally Posted by hath33
drive as close as you can behind 18 wheelers every time you get on the freeway. on long distant trips it can really get you some great mileage. truckers dont like it though haha
please pay attention on the mithbusters - they proved it right but do not recommend it

And i throw my windshield washers on tailgaters
Old 04-08-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by baseballdude345
So your saying 55 mph and premium is the way to go? What station do you fill up at usually? With gas prices skyrocketing lately, I'm afraid to pay for premium when I can just get regular. You think it makes that much of a difference? What were you getting with regular gas?
Well i'm sorry to answer you so late but i have done some research with my car. Personally i get about 40 more miles using premium compared to regular. it varies a little bit but usually ill go 350-360 miles on a full tank of regular before the needle hits empty and then ill go usually about 400-410 on a full tank of premium before the needle hits empty. Driving style has one of the most dramatic changes in gas mileage. But one thing i would suggest is to once a month use Lucas fuel injector cleaner. i guess it doesn't matter to much on brand but i use Lucas. don't use any octane boosters though they say they clean but they're a waste of money imo. I use Lucas every third fill up just because thats what this super old guy i worked with at Dominos told me to do so. We called him Old Man Gary lol. To stations i usually use shell because its the nicest looking station around here. All the other stations around my town are run down. When i'm out of town i usually head towards a shell or a chevron. Thats just my personal preference. Id say do some test's for yourself go to a station and if u have reg in your tank right now fill it up. The way i do this is, i don't top off i just let it go till it stops then pull the trigger one more time till it stops just to make sure its full. Get back in and reset your trip meter to 0. Drive until your light comes on then find a station asap. Now fill up with premium as close to the same way as you did with reg. once your full grab your receipt get back in your car and do some math. It's really simple just take the miles on your trip meter then divide that number by the gallons you just put in ( example 363 miles divided by 12 gallons of fuel So 363/12= 30.25). Your gonna have to repeat this when you fill up again. When you do just compare the numbers so say you get (402/12= 33.5)(30.25 mpg compared to 33.5 mpg) I'm gonna do some more extensive research to see if the mileage difference i'm getting is actually saving me money. i did a quick check and if the difference in price is $.15 then id break even. so say gas is $4 for reg and $4.15 for premium, then it doesn't matter what i get it would cost the same but i would have the advantage of having an extra 40-50 miles with premium. i hope this all makes sense and it isn't boring.
Old 04-08-2011
Registered!!

I'm telling you guys on my way to Texas from Cali i followed my dad in a big moving truck as close as i could like seriously people probably thought i was being towed haha we get out after the first like 340 miles and my dad is like "you need to fill up?" I'm like "well I'm at half a tank". My dad "what!!" haha. If we were on level ground i would put it in neutral and it was like i was being pulled by his truck id actually have to use my brakes and slow down a bit to keep from hitting him. Man i was literally inches from him. If you could get 600 miles in one tank wouldn't you do it too?
Old 04-08-2011
Trance Addict

Yeah. Slipstreaming a truck works, but it's dangerous. Did you see the episode about how dangerous a blown tire can be? We've also discussed that using a higher octane gas in a car designed to take regular doesn't do anything for your fuel economy.
Old 04-08-2011
Kenny the Ricer

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8wjthveAiY[/youtube]
Old 04-08-2011
Registered!!

Lol i heard that that was a chick driving... how was she that calm??? lol id be goin crazy haha
Old 04-08-2011
Registered!!

Yeah. Slipstreaming a truck works, but it's dangerous. Did you see the episode about how dangerous a blown tire can be? We've also discussed that using a higher octane gas in a car designed to take regular doesn't do anything for your fuel economy.
I'm slightly in disagreement with that. I have gone back and forth from reg to premium just testing things out and i constantly averaged 40 more miles per tank when using premium. I would agree thats not much but there is a change in fuel economy at least for my car. 2001 civic ex coupe 5 speed. Now does that save me any money? I'm not sure and im gonna try and find out by doing my own tests. Right now i'm thinking I'm breaking even or losing 5 cents per tank.
Old 04-08-2011
Trance Addict

Check Kenny's post towards the top of the page explaining why buying premium for a car intended to run on regular is a waste of money. Being able to row your own can help, but no matter what, driving habits play a huge role in fuel economy along with a few other factors.
Old 04-08-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Originally Posted by hath33
I'm telling you guys on my way to Texas from Cali i followed my dad in a big moving truck as close as i could like seriously people probably thought i was being towed haha we get out after the first like 340 miles and my dad is like "you need to fill up?" I'm like "well I'm at half a tank". My dad "what!!" haha. If we were on level ground i would put it in neutral and it was like i was being pulled by his truck id actually have to use my brakes and slow down a bit to keep from hitting him. Man i was literally inches from him. If you could get 600 miles in one tank wouldn't you do it too?
Originally Posted by sdaidoji
please pay attention on the mithbusters - they proved it right but do not recommend it
And i throw my windshield washers on tailgaters
removed smileys -they ease the viewer to say things that should not be said
I do agree that the premium does give better mileage - mine does - at the least 1 MPG.
Don't like tailgaters - i do slow down so they will realize and leave my butt off - heck, my butt is ugly, why would someone want to poke it?!?
I know, i will stop wiping it after going to the potty, maybe it will take the tailgaters off me tail. Maybe some "gas" induction food to fart twice as much. Will lessen the number of accidents too. much more expensive than saving gas

Last edited by sdaidoji; 04-08-2011 at 10:18 PM.
Old 04-08-2011
Registered!!

yea i totally agree with you guys that your driving habits are the most detrimental factors in Your gas mileage. yet what i have been calculating myself is that when i use a full tank of regular i get 360 miles before hitting empty. when using premium i get 400 miles before hitting empty. So a 40 mile difference. Not much but i figured that depending on the difference in price because it varies i will either break even or lose between 1 to 6 cents per tank for using premium. So it costs me about the same per mile but i can go about 40 miles further when using premium if that makes sense. i works like this 360/12=30mpg 12gallons = $3x12= $36 $36/360= $.10 per mile now take 400/12=33.333333... 12gallons= $3.20x12gals= $38.40 $38.40/400= $.096 so basically $.10 per mile... so its the same cost per mile that i'm getting but i don't have to fill up till 40 miles after regular...
Old 04-08-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

just don't want people advocating tailgating in the internet for the whole world (emphasis) to see -that was the reason the mithbusters did not recommend it. It works? yes. is it safe? not at all. that was the message. Don't be a "carnoobie" and show it to people from all over the world (literally - there are members from the other side of the globe) to read... that's internet fer ya.
(crap, now i am thinking on my comments that have been made sigs by other members... bwaaahahaha! the ***** are the worst! fataleptic, please spread the word!)
I do agree on the usage of the premium. some do contain "alleged" cleaning additives (addictives? )

Last edited by sdaidoji; 04-08-2011 at 10:51 PM.
Old 04-08-2011
Registered!!

I wouldn't have tailgated if it wasn't my dad. SRRY :*(

Quick Reply: What kind of range do you get on your Civic on a single tank of fuel?