8th & 9th Generation Civic 2006 - 2015 9th Gen 2012 - 2015.
8th Gen 2006 - 2011.
9th Gen Chassis Codes: FB2, FB4, FB6, FG 3, FG4.
8th Gen Chassis Codes: FG1, FG2, FA1, FA3, FA5.

Rocks in my wheel?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
royalbluepearl is an unknown quantity at this point
Rocks in my wheel?

2008 dx 5 speed, New road being built on my commute where lotta small rocks are the norm surface., Yesterday well away from this road (60 mi)I begin to hear what sounds like pebbles in the driver side wheel scraping and jangling as the wheel turns, I pull over and see nothing open the hood again zero, I find a pkng lot and pull the wheel to find nothing visible. After manually turning the wheel while up on jack it abates once I reverse the motion a few times, but Nothing fell to the ground or came to eye. So it re emerged only slightly after putting it down. I feel like I am on egg shells waiting for something to happen, what do you think and if it is rocks. where are they hiding .. my head? lol seriously tho
Old 05-10-2010
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Rocks in my wheel?

i have rocks in the tire treads all the time and its a pain prying them out with a screwdriver every time. its been so bad that aside from the road noise, it started affecting the balance of the wheel and i felt low speed vibration.
Old 05-10-2010
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

A good run on the highway usually blasts everything out of the tires.
Old 05-11-2010
Registered!!

royalbluepearl is an unknown quantity at this point

TY yet the tires are clean, perplexing is the location of the foreign object(s)
def not in the tread tho, somewhere as in behind the backing plate (on the rotor) but not., or hung someplace up in the cv axle area but nothing visible.
I am looking to see any similar experiences that explain this rocks sounding circumstance, again Thank you but not a tread pebble problem... hmmm.
Old 05-11-2010
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

have you checked for rocks trapped in the bumpers and side sills? i get a ton of small rock building there that i have to spray out otherwise i hear a jingling sound when driving. theres usually a big handful of rocks washed out every few weeks. grab a hose and start spraying under the bumpers inside the bottom lip.
Old 04-08-2011
Registered!!

ratboywpg is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by royalbluepearl
TY yet the tires are clean, perplexing is the location of the foreign object(s)
def not in the tread tho, somewhere as in behind the backing plate (on the rotor) but not., or hung someplace up in the cv axle area but nothing visible.
I am looking to see any similar experiences that explain this rocks sounding circumstance, again Thank you but not a tread pebble problem... hmmm.

I've run into the same thing. I removed the tire and wiggled the shielding next to the brake rotor and a small pebble dropped out. It did not resolve the problem as when I rotate the rotor, a grinding sound occurs at the same point on each rotation.

I'm going to have to remove the rotor and check if the rock / pebble is accessible after , or at least visible. A pressure washer would be useful at that point but I might poke about with a screwdriver. The racket is driving me crazy.