I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Installing amp/sub with stock stereo.

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ninjadog is an unknown quantity at this point
Installing amp/sub with stock stereo.

Basically I just need to know if the stock stereo has the rca outs and remote wire somewhere so I can hook up my amp and sub. Kind of sucks there is no way to replace the head unit with something else without doing a major cut and patch job to the dash.

If it isint possible with a third party sub/amp how would the factory one get hooked up?
Old 03-21-2010
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Installing amp/sub with stock stereo.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Scosche-HA1561BMB...item4ceb9bf886

This might help.
Old 03-21-2010
Registered!!

So theres no other way?
That one on ebay has the cut out too big. It's just a standard size deck so it would only fill half of that.
I would rather keep the stock look if I can. Not too unhappy with the sound, just needs more low end.
Old 03-21-2010
Whachya lookin at?

BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry I realize that I'm not answering your questions. That kit has a setup for either single DIN or double DIN decks. So it's up to you on how you use it (read his description). I would upgrade from the factory any way, can't go wrong with upgrade. I did come upon this while doing a bit of searching though.

http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/audio...actory-hu.html

Good luck!
Old 03-21-2010
Registered!!

Thanks for the help and links. But looks like it will be staying stock for now. Way too much splicing into factory wires for my liking.
Old 03-21-2010
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,146 Likes on 801 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

This is basically how me and my dad wired up my system on my last 2 cars to the OEM head unit.. Up until I spent the money and got a full sound system.

cut the wires going to the rear speakers, wire them to RCA terminals, use those as an input to a crossover (to let it filter out high freq and low freq sounds), and then have the R/L outputs go back to the speakers, and the sub output go to its amplifier. You can even go as far as amplifying the rear speakers, but I don't know how much power they can take.

As for the remote wire, we just used the radio's accessory wire to send the remote signal, so that the amp turned on every time the car was put into at least acc. mode
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	untitled.jpg
Views:	63011
Size:	16.9 KB
ID:	78077  
Old 03-21-2010
Whachya lookin at?

aye, get an aftermarket head unit... its so much easier and the sound even though you are happy, is better. I'm pretty sure you don't have to splice any wires for an aftermarket one... if you decide you wanna go back to stock you can always put the original back in.

Get a cheap Alpine for 130 bucks and you will be more than happy.
Old 03-21-2010
Registered!!

Thanks riceboy, that does simplify things somewhat. I wonder if there is a way without the cross over tho. My amp has one built in but only has a pair of rca ins. If I made the rear speaker to rca splice so I have one pair to go to the amp should that work. As opposed to your rca in and out with x-over then to the amp.

@tbohar. I do have a nice HU sitting in my dead golf, but I guess I should have mentioned the car is a lease and I really dont feel like taking apart the dash and dealing with mounting brackets and wiring harnesses and also getting a new chunk of dash, and then doing it all in reverse in 4 years.

Guess well see how ambitious I feel one of these weekends.
Old 09-08-2019
Registered!!

Qdoubledee is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ninjadog
Basically I just need to know if the stock stereo has the rca outs and remote wire somewhere so I can hook up my amp and sub. Kind of sucks there is no way to replace the head unit with something else without doing a major cut and patch job to the dash.

If it isint possible with a third party sub/amp how would the factory one get hooked up?
You can buy an rca converter to hook up the rca cables. It runs to the factory speaker wires on the rear deck and you can plug the rca cables in the converter. I've done it multiple times and I'm currently in the middle of an install doing that same method. I run my remote wire to a fuse in the fuse box. That's what brought me here because I'm not used to doing newer cars with a basic setup. Most of my older installs have had cigarette lighters and I run the remote to that. If anyone knows please let me know.
Old 09-08-2019
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,146 Likes on 801 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

What kinda car you have? My 2018 still has a cigarette lighter adapter.
Old 09-08-2019
Registered!!

Qdoubledee is an unknown quantity at this point

It's a 2013. I found the fuse I was looking for. I call it a cigarette lighter but I guess it's the 12v plug for ur cell phone charger or whatever else. I used the #2 10amp fuse. Worked like a charm. I dont remember right off what it was labeled. Thanks for the help