8th & 9th Generation Civic 2006 - 2015 9th Gen 2012 - 2015.
8th Gen 2006 - 2011.
9th Gen Chassis Codes: FB2, FB4, FB6, FG 3, FG4.
8th Gen Chassis Codes: FG1, FG2, FA1, FA3, FA5.

Bad Brakes on 2009 Civic

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paul_EXL09 is an unknown quantity at this point
Bad Brakes on 2009 Civic

I recently reached 15k miles on my new 09 Civic, and it has developed a rubbing and thumping sound coming from the wheels. I thought it might be an issue of wheel balancing, so I did that, but now it is still doing it. I went to various sites, and have seen a long list of owners complaining about this. It turns out that Honda rotors are warping prematurely and brakes are breaking at very low mileages. What is upsetting is that the owners that have posted about contacting Honda, sometimes taking the car into the shop 8 times in a row with no solution are just being told that this is "normal." Honda is recalling brakes on 410,000 SUVs, but there has been no talk of the civic or accord yet. Who else is experiencing a strange rubbing sound from the wheels at around 15k miles?
Old 03-25-2010
Registered!!

kenallgood is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Bad Brakes on 2009 Civic

I have a 2009 with around 35k miles, and I may have simliar issues, but not quite the same. I had vibration on braking starting at around 12k miles or so, and progressively got worse. At around 20k miles, I had them checked, and they said they just needed to be turned. At round 30k miles, it's come back. I've also had a light-moderate vibration at around 70-75mph, but had the wheels checked at 20k miles, and they indicated no problems. I also have had what I would describe as sort of a howling noise at 50-55mph (goes away around 55mph). That's not engine or transmission related. I don't suspect the howling sound or hwy vibration has to do with the brakes, brakes is probably just warped rotors.
Old 08-03-2011
Registered!!

countBOZout is an unknown quantity at this point

I've just racked up 35k+ miles on my 09 Civic also. I've had my brakes replaced twice now, and tomorrow my friend and I are switching out my suspension with my brothers 07 Si suspension. But I also need to get new CV joints. It's been making a loud clicking sound for about a year now. For some reason, I just don't think the civic is as reliable as they once were.
Old 08-04-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

remember EVERY car can get "warped rotors" it happens because of the driver not the hardware. whenever you heat up the brakes too much either by many small stops or a long stop above 40mph, and then hold your foot on the brake pedal, some of the pad material will bond to the rotor. the next time you brake, there are high points on it from the pad material. every time you do this, it gets worse until the material is high enough that the brake pad lifts up and over the high spots causing pulsations, rubbing, grinding, excess noise, and worse stopping power. the only way to prevent this is try to avoid braking over 40mph and ALWAYS lift your foot off the brake as soon as you come to a stop. use the ebrake to keep the car from moving forward and/or shift to neutral. ive been doing this for many years and have not once "warped" my civic rotors. and i always have a good laugh when riding in other ppls cars because almost every car ive been in has that pulsation. btw i put "warped" in quotes because rotors almost never warp. the vibration is caused by uneven pad deposition which is completely avoidable. even professional race cars making 100-0mph stops are not able to physically warp rotors. you have to get them glowing red hot for that to happen and then you have bigger problems to worry about lol. just get new rotors and pads and change your driving style. problem solved.
Old 08-04-2011
Registered!!

johng35 is an unknown quantity at this point

good post gearbox.... for years the " warped rotor" effect was misunderstood. Very rarley do the actual rotors warp- it feels warped through the pedal only. I think if rotors overheat then the tend to crack more than anything.
Old 08-04-2011
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

haha i have never warped my rotors. lol u guys must have lead foot.
Old 08-04-2011
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

The rotors on my 05 were untouched untill 130k miles when they came off and were replaced.

Still in perfect condition.
Old 08-04-2011
Registered!!

Darksyde294 is an unknown quantity at this point

Gearbox is right. I never understood why people don't blame messing up the car on themselves instead of finding a reason from the manufacturer. I've never had to replace a pair of rotors. I have upgraded before to better, but never had to replace because of them "warping."