8th & 9th Generation Civic 2006 - 2015 9th Gen 2012 - 2015.
8th Gen 2006 - 2011.
9th Gen Chassis Codes: FB2, FB4, FB6, FG 3, FG4.
8th Gen Chassis Codes: FG1, FG2, FA1, FA3, FA5.

Manual Transmission Issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Captaintony is an unknown quantity at this point
Manual Transmission Issues

Hello everyone, New to the forums.

I am having some issue diagnosing a problem with my 06 civic coupe.

Just before Xmas, my civic ex developed an issue with shifting. when shifting into gear, especially 1st gear, there seems to be a chatter to the clutch as though I had just learned how to drive the car and couldn't rev match. It only appears to do it when the car is warm, when it's early in the morning, on the way to work, it's fine. By the time i get to work (30 min commute) it has started doing it. It will do it going into 2nd and 3rd. The clutch itself appears fine, no slippage under load, easily engages with aggressive rpms, it's just day to day driving. It almost seems like the clutch is engaging early, way low in the peddle travel. It also won't do it consistently. Once it's warm and starts doing it, it may do it at one traffic light, but not the next. Car has about 67k on it, I'm doing a transmission oil change and clutch fluid change this weekend, to see if it helps, but I'm not too optimistic.

I strongly believe it's not the clutch, but I know if I take it in to the dealer, that's the first thing they are going to say it is. My last Honda (Acura Integra 93) got 200k on the original clutch, 150k of which I put on, so I know it's not my driving that's the problem.

If I were to guess, it feels like it's an issue with the hydraulic system, but there is no fluid loss, or any kind really, no oil, coolant, brake fluid, clutch fluid. Everything seems fine.

Any thoughts?
Old 01-12-2010
Registered!!

mp3runner1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Manual Transmission Issues

That's funny my brother's car had the same issue and it's at the shop right now
Old 01-17-2010
Registered!!

SanDiegoGuy72 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a 2006 Honda Civic Ex. I have a 5 speed tranny and I stopped suddenly behind someone but was only going about 15 mph. When I tried to shift to 1st gear, I was no longer able to. I tried 2nd gear and wasn't able to as well. I am unable to move my shifter all the way to the left to access first and second gear. All it can do is center and move right for 3rd, 4th, 5th, and reverse. All fluids are good.

Any ideas?
Old 04-06-2010
Registered!!

John Henri is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Everyone,
I have 2006 Honda Civic manual transmission and i got transmission problem right after we bought the car. The gear shifter would not go into 1,2,3,4,5 gear, it stay in neutral position. The dealership was saying they can't copy the problem until yesterday when we had to tow the car to the dealership since the gear stuck. I made some research about it and found there are hundreds of the problems across US and Canada. The dealership always saying this is the clutch problem and we have to spend 2000 dollar to fix it. If one of you have same problem. Please let me know because we are going to report the problem and will force a class action against Honda Canada/America to issue a recall.
Email: henri_sadi@yahoo.com and please put the email subject Honda Civic Transmission problem.

Thanks
Old 05-17-2010
Registered!!

dstace is an unknown quantity at this point

I sort of had a similar problem. Intermittently I couldn't shift into various gears, or it would be very difficult to. Eventually I got stuck as I couldn't use anything but 3rd and reverse. The problem as it turned out was a rock stuck in just the right place in the shifter linkage. Cost me $40 at the dealership to remove. No problems since.
Old 02-19-2017
Registered!!

Elizhanneson is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by John Henri
Hi Everyone,
I have 2006 Honda Civic manual transmission and i got transmission problem right after we bought the car. The gear shifter would not go into 1,2,3,4,5 gear, it stay in neutral position. The dealership was saying they can't copy the problem until yesterday when we had to tow the car to the dealership since the gear stuck. I made some research about it and found there are hundreds of the problems across US and Canada. The dealership always saying this is the clutch problem and we have to spend 2000 dollar to fix it. If one of you have same problem. Please let me know because we are going to report the problem and will force a class action against Honda Canada/America to issue a recall.
Email: henri_sadi@yahoo.com and please put the email subject Honda Civic Transmission problem.

Thanks
I have a similar problem. My 2006 Civic LX will intermittently not shift into 1st or 2nd. I've had no issues with the other gears so far. The garage has told me it will need a new transmission but I'm somewhat skeptical after reading these posts. Any advice would be appreciate.