8th & 9th Generation Civic 2006 - 2015 9th Gen 2012 - 2015.
8th Gen 2006 - 2011.
9th Gen Chassis Codes: FB2, FB4, FB6, FG 3, FG4.
8th Gen Chassis Codes: FG1, FG2, FA1, FA3, FA5.

how reliable is the first year of the 8th gen?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
odysseus is an unknown quantity at this point
how reliable is the first year of the 8th gen?

I took a look at Consumer Reports' reliability statistics, and it looks like the first year of the 8th gen is rated only average for the electrical system and the suspension.

Is the 8th gen fairly reliable? I just bought a used 2006 LX with 60K miles. The dealer wanted to sell me a 30 mo. / 30K extended warranty, but even with the price down to $1600 or so, it seemed like a rip off. He tried to scare me by saying that the computers or the transmission cost thousands to replace. My guess is that the computers are pretty reliable. I heard that the 2006 did have transmission problems, but that the problems occur well before 60K.

Was I right to turn down the extended warranty?
Old 01-02-2010
Registered!!

plastics is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: how reliable is the first year of the 8th gen?

The dealer makes a lot of money on these extended warrenty and 1600 bucks sound quite high for only 30,000 miles.

The 06 Civic is dead reliable..only thing it had was the tension recall which should have been done (if not, it still should be good for free replacement as it was a recall).

you made an excellent choice!...what color is it..post some pics!!!!:_plea se:
Old 01-02-2010
Registered!!

Originally Posted by plastics
The 06 Civic is dead reliable..only thing it had was the tension recall which should have been done (if not, it still should be good for free replacement as it was a recall).
What is the "tension recall"? When I registered the car with Honda Owner Link, it listed "ABS Wheel Sensor O-Ring Inspecion" as an August 2007 safety recall item.
Old 01-02-2010
Registered!!

rocksinger45 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have an 08 and the only problem I've had was with some plastic part inside the front (both left & right ) auto door lock snapping.
Old 01-02-2010
Registered!!

Originally Posted by rocksinger45
I have an 08 and the only problem I've had was with some plastic part inside the front (both left & right ) auto door lock snapping.
According to CR, the '08 has fewer problems than the '06.
Old 01-02-2010
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

yeah its a common practice for salespeople to trash talk the car, hoping that you will buy the extended warranty, when in reality ecu failure is extremely rare. in fact most ppl that have extended warranty never use it, or only use a small part of it so they still lost money. next time dealer starts telling you about all the parts that are gonna fail, maybe you should walk out and say you thought hondas were reliable lol.

and check here, this site has real people experiences, not just stupid consumer reports. im not sure where those guys get their info.

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...tter-info.html
Old 01-02-2010
Registered!!

Originally Posted by gearbox
yeah its a common practice for salespeople to trash talk the car, hoping that you will buy the extended warranty, when in reality ecu failure is extremely rare. in fact most ppl that have extended warranty never use it, or only use a small part of it so they still lost money. next time dealer starts telling you about all the parts that are gonna fail, maybe you should walk out and say you thought hondas were reliable lol.
Exactly! You buy a Honda, and then they try to convince you about all the things that will go wrong.

and check here, this site has real people experiences, not just stupid consumer reports. im not sure where those guys get their info.
They poll their subscriber base, generally. I've received surveys.
Old 01-02-2010
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

when i first bought my car, the douche salesman was actually showing parts he had stashed under his desk and asking if i wanna pay $1k for this and $2k for that when it breaks. i started thinking, am i really buying the right car? lol. and guess what, i was one of the suckers who bought the ext warranty. at least we didnt pay anywhere near what they were asking, i think it was just under $1k for the 7 yr plan. and guess what, the only claim i made was $400 for a new alternator installed. so i lost almost $600 for nothing. same goes for the alpine radio i bought a 5 yr warranty for. 5 yrs later, no problems at all and i still have the deck working perfectly. and warranty expired last yr. my parents bought the warranty for our last tv, its been over 10 yrs and not a single problem. another $200 down the tubes.
Old 01-02-2010
Registered!!

By the way, I forgot to add that the sales manager claimed that they received 20-30 warranty claims per day. He showed me a list, but it didn't make any sense: the dealership couldn't service more than 30-50 cars per day. I asked what the customer base was, but he didn't answer.
Old 01-02-2010
Premium Member

lol, its just a fake report i bet, or people like me coming in with silly warranty claims like a stuck seatbelt buckle or some plastic panels rattling. the first year i had my car the dealer hated me, i was there every few weeks for minor issues. in some cases, they had the problem fixed or looked at in only 15 mins.
Old 01-04-2010
Registered!!

Devani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond repute

i also bought extended insurance on my 01 civic EX coupe....it was the first year change model....but I did pay $900 for it....

changed radio twice, changed front shocks and alignment, changed front speaker, changed rocking chair bushing twice, changed cover below the radio twice, seat belt buckle broke and changed it....all this under warranty for the time i owned the car for 8 years....

you did right