8th & 9th Generation Civic 2006 - 2015 9th Gen 2012 - 2015.
8th Gen 2006 - 2011.
9th Gen Chassis Codes: FB2, FB4, FB6, FG 3, FG4.
8th Gen Chassis Codes: FG1, FG2, FA1, FA3, FA5.

2006 engine blocks cracking!

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2011
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light
Re: 2006 engine blocks cracking!

ezone. Stick around a while, would you please ?

How do you like your controversial 2012 Civic ?? What trim level ?

My 2010 is the simply wonderful. Can't wait to get my new factory wheels and some real tires on it. Eagle RSAs are poopoo.
Old 12-07-2011
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CraigW
ezone. Stick around a while, would you please ?

How do you like your controversial 2012 Civic ?? What trim level ?

My 2010 is the simply wonderful. Can't wait to get my new factory wheels and some real tires on it. Eagle RSAs are poopoo.

Stick around? Thanks, but that'll cost ya. Time is money, you know. LOL

Civic is just a 4 door LX grocery getter. Has about 1000 miles now. First Dyno Blue car to hit the lot.
Meh, it's a car. If I want flashy or loud, I got a Lowrider Minitruck and a Hog.
I have a set of 16" alum. rims from the previous gen Civics that will fit this one, but I don't really want to shell out for a set of tires for them.

Pros: Everything works, unlike my old Buick ('90, P/A). Gas mileage, I have attained as high as 52.3 MPG on a semi-regular 45 mile trip (each way, top off the tank and hit the road), at 50-55 MPH (some trips it's only 48-50ish MPG). Goes down quick as soon as I hit stop and go traffic though.
Got about 37.5 MPG at 70-75+ MPH (slowing down a little makes a big difference, huh?).
28 in town just going to work and back daily.

Cons: Doesn't ride like the Buick (DUH). Wimpy heat compared to the Buick (it would run you out of the car). Couldn't fit the snowblower in the trunk yesterday.

Leaves me wondering if I am part of the ongoing R&D team: This morning, the starter went ZING instead of cranking on the first try. Starter is ordered for install tomorrow.
Has had the "tighten gas cap" message once, for no apparent reason. (I think this issue is currently under investigation by Honda, there was a little message about it this morning on their site.)

I stumbled here by searching for hacking the MID display, and found the thread about reprogramming the defroster so the AC is controllable manually. I was hoping someone had figured out a hack to display engine and other data on the MID display. No luck yet.
Old 12-07-2011
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by gearbox
good info. do you know if the new engine blocks actually fix the original problem? or is it like the 7thgen trans tsb where they just say replace the trans with another one that will eventually have the same problem down the road.

Gear are you saying that honda replaced the trans on the 7th gen for free? is this still valid? my first gear is starting to slip on my auto 7th.
Old 12-07-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

no they waited until after all the warranties expired before releasing the tsb on it. that way it is only for information purposes and they do not fix it for free. tsbs are only fixed free under warranty, otherwise you have to pay like normal. the solution to the slip is "replace the transmission" thats it. i used to have the file back a few yrs ago but lost it or deleted it. there was nothing there to really check, other than to verify the problem by driving the car, check the fluid, and then replace the whole thing. its good to see they are taking the engine block problem seriously on the 8thgens. i guess engine failure is a much bigger deal than trans failure.
Old 12-08-2011

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mac25
Gear are you saying that honda replaced the trans on the 7th gen for free?
Never heard of that. Not for everyone, anyway. Maybe as part of a goodwill gesture once in a while, but not the norm.
Old 12-10-2011

mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold

too bad, and thx for the info guys =D.
Old 12-11-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DatGUenvy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by gearbox
yeah i think so. and they all said its cracking at the same spot, right in the middle where the lines meet or something. dont forget about the oil leaks, water pump leaks, and all the other issues with this r18. what a mess. whatever happened to honda motors lasting forever... good thing they kept a K motor in the si or honda would be finished by now. even the si has its share of problems tho.

Like what bought a 07 si a month ago have to know so I can keep an eye!!
Old 12-11-2011

then your car should have a K series engine. it's the R's that crack.
Old 01-09-2012
Registered!!

RichD is an unknown quantity at this point

First of all I purchased this car knowing that it had a REBUILT title because the previous owner side swiped a building. The accident caused damage on the drivers side front fender, door and slight rear quarter panel damage. It had no damage what so ever to the frame or suspension parts. I even had a certified mechanic put on a lift and verify this. While doing a all wheel alignment because of problems with the rear tires wearing out on the inside......the technician assured me that there was no damage to the frame.

PROBLEM: HONDA WILL NOT REPLACE MY ENGINE THAT HAS A CRACK IN THE ENGINE BLOCK EXACTLY WHERE THE THOUSANDS OF OTHER CIVIC ENGINES HAVE CRACKED BECAUSE OF THIS!! iF IT WAS A RECALL THE CUSTOMER REP SAID THEY WOULD REPLACE IT FREE.

Can you tell I'm pissed off?!!!

I know there are scammers out there....but I'm not one of them.....I'm a blue collar worker that works in the automotive business and had to take a job 45 minutes from my house....

I bought this Honda Civic thinking that I would be able to drive it for at least 5 more years...now it's sitting at the dealer with me not knowing what to do with it!!!

Please Honda BACK YOUR PRODUCT UP!!!!!!!

Sincerly yours

Rich D

Last edited by RichD; 01-09-2012 at 09:02 AM. Reason: Adding some info
Old 01-09-2012
A true genius admits that he/she knows nothing.....CLOSED SAT/SUN

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Gunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to all

Technicallities they use to save money..Sorry to hear man..try a different honda dealer and see if you get better luck with them..
Old 01-09-2012

I have yet to figure out why a simple accident, or even some of the other things I hear about like theft, would cause a title to be changed to salvage or rebuilt--- I mean, if the car wasn't damaged bad enough to cost so much that it was totaled and written off by the insurance company. I can certainly understand if that was the case, but many don't sound that bad.

Did the VIN report come back from Honda as having a branded title? (If the dealer denied warranty, then that must have been the case.)
Old 01-09-2012
Registered!!

Angry Re: 2006 engine blocks cracking!

Originally Posted by ezone
I have yet to figure out why a simple accident, or even some of the other things I hear about like theft, would cause a title to be changed to salvage or rebuilt--- I mean, if the car wasn't damaged bad enough to cost so much that it was totaled and written off by the insurance company. I can certainly understand if that was the case, but many don't sound that bad.

Did the VIN report come back from Honda as having a branded title? (If the dealer denied warranty, then that must have been the case.)

Ezone....Yes it did come back as fixed, inspected and given a Rebuilt Title.

The Regional Rep even called the dealership and asked ?

Q. Was the VIN # tag stamped?...
A. Yes it was...

Q. Is the Engine block cracked where the problem is with the rest of the engines?
A. The very same area as the rest

Q. Is the frame damaged at all?
A. Our Tech checked it out as undamaged

Q. Is the car in good condition?
A. Yes very good condition

Q. How many miles does the car have on it?
A. 122K

Q. Is the customer a regular customer
A. Yes he is....

Regional rep say thank you to the Service manager and called to let me know my car would not be covered...WTH?!

Does anyone know how to contact John Mendel or Jeff Conrad , Honda Execs to further discuss this travesty??

MY LEG and what Honda's doin to me!

I understand if this turns into a recall Honda will replace my block for free....what does it take to turn into a recall?

Rich D
rdunno@frontier.com
Old 01-09-2012

Originally Posted by RichD

I understand if this turns into a recall Honda will replace my block for free....what does it take to turn into a recall?
I'm just a dumb mechanic.....Really, I have no idea what it takes to turn it into a recall unless the NHTSA decides to push the issue, but I doubt they get deeply involved since it seems it isn't a true safety problem.

Start a class action suit? Lawyers win.
Old 01-10-2012
Registered!!

Start a class action suit? Lawyers win.[/quote]

LOL....I once recieved a check for $1.90 for a class action lawsuit involving my Cell phone carrier......Lawers got something like $650k....?
Old 01-10-2012
A true genius admits that he/she knows nothing.....CLOSED SAT/SUN

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Gunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to all

Go over the district manager and talk to the regional manager...or call hondas 800 number and see if they will help you out...or just try a different dealer..they might have a different point of view on the matter..
Old 01-13-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Gunner
Go over the district manager and talk to the regional manager...or call hondas 800 number and see if they will help you out...or just try a different dealer..they might have a different point of view on the matter..
I have called Honda's customer service twice and talked to 2 Reps that were totally "programmed" to let me know that because my car has a rebuilt title that it will not be covered. They would not discuss the why they would not cover the engine....even though it has the same problem as the other thousands.

The engine did not get totalled.....the body did..... which just needed a front fender, door skin and slight repair to the rear quarter. That is it!

It's still a Honda.....it's a mistake that they should cover.

Anyone know one of the CEO's email address's? i'd like to send them an email.

RichD
Old 01-28-2012
Registered!!

https://picasaweb.google.com/117146328207127812463/DropBox?authkey=Gv1sRgCNWhpcmavd6bxAE#570275490470 3898642

Checkout this picture of my cracked block....is this the same spot as the rest or them?

Last edited by RichD; 01-28-2012 at 01:15 PM. Reason: Adding content
Old 01-28-2012

Originally Posted by RichD
https://picasaweb.google.com/117146328207127812463/DropBox?authkey=Gv1sRgCNWhpcmavd6bxAE#570275490470 3898642

Checkout this picture of my cracked block....is this the same spot as the rest or them?
Hotlink to your pic:

That's one of the places they do it.

They can also crack on the back side of the block.
Old 02-06-2012
Registered!!

Here are some pic's of my cracked block on my 2006 Honda Civic
Old 02-06-2012

Pic fail? I don't see anything.
Old 12-18-2013

NEWS FLASH

I heard today, the warranty coverage on the engine block has been extended to 10 years from the original in-service date, for qualifying cars.

Will try to update if/when I get official info.

Last edited by ezone; 12-18-2013 at 05:33 PM.
Old 12-19-2013

Originally Posted by ezone
NEWS FLASH

I heard today, the warranty coverage on the engine block has been extended to 10 years from the original in-service date, for qualifying cars.

Will try to update if/when I get official info.
Confirmed. 10 years.
Old 12-19-2013
skate or die

Tragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to all

Yup.

My 08 LX sedan had honda coolant leaking on the ground.

Took it to Honda, and they had a new block installed within two days free of charge.

Good service, and it was at 40k. So now the engine has lots of new new.