8th & 9th Generation Civic 2006 - 2015 9th Gen 2012 - 2015.
8th Gen 2006 - 2011.
9th Gen Chassis Codes: FB2, FB4, FB6, FG 3, FG4.
8th Gen Chassis Codes: FG1, FG2, FA1, FA3, FA5.

Engine Tapping Noise during idle....

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
supermann is an unknown quantity at this point
Engine Tapping Noise during idle....

Guys , my honda civic 06 automatic with 75k mileage has a noise like tapping in the engine during idle. I noticed this last friday when i started the car in the morning. Then yesterday after 5 minutes of driving at speed of 30kph i heard the sound then it disappear afterwards. Today i checked again , i still hear the sound after 10 minutes in the idle position, sometimes it disappear and then it will come back.

I already put 4K since oli change with mobil1 synthetic. i leave here in Quebec Canada. Somebody said that it's normal during start up because of cold weather and try to change your gasoline to a higher number.

Has anybody experience this? Any recommendations/solutions?

Thanks.
Old 11-29-2009
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Engine Tapping Noise during idle....

It could be that your oil is low, or that your using shitty gas and your car is kocking. Check your oil level, if its good try to get your tank to Empty and then fill up at a different gas station. If that dont work maybe you need to adjust your valves.
Old 11-29-2009
Registered!!

I checked the engine oil level, and i think it still good. Is a low grade gasoline can be the cause of the problem? Normally i used the midgrade but 2 weeks ago i accidentally fill it with the lowest grade/regular one.

Thanks

Last edited by supermann; 11-29-2009 at 08:50 PM.
Old 11-30-2009
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

If you hear a "Knock" move up in gas grade until it stops. But, something might be wrong because I think civics are rated for 87. So even with 87 octane you should not hear a knock. Also, be careful with a knock... It could be a sign of a serious problem.
Old 11-30-2009
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

I would think you would only get spark knock under load. Maybe from very crappy gas.

My 1st thoughts are a possible valve adjustment may be needed. Check the maintenance portion of the owners manual and see if it is mentioned.

My 05 started tapping intermittently at about a 100k it comes and goes.

Last edited by CraigW; 11-30-2009 at 06:42 AM.
Old 11-30-2009
Registered!!

Thanks guys for the infos.

I will try to have a higher octane gas and see what will happen.

@craig

What did they do or adjustment to your car?
Old 11-30-2009
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

I have not done the adjustment to my 05, it still makes the noise on occasion.

I'm only assuming that the valves are still adjustable on the R18s. Not certain, the service schedule may mention it at the higher mileages.

Mine shows it at 110k "inspect valve clearance"
Old 12-01-2009
Registered!!

Just went to the dealer this afternoon because i can't tolerate the noise, it's not only tapping anymore. It sounds like a diesel engine this morning. The dealer just called a while ago and he said it was the water pump and belt tensioner and they will replace it for free, covered with the 5 year warranty. I hope the diesel engine noise and tapping will be eliminated. Hoping....

And there's a TSB regarding the water pump TSB 08-038
Old 12-01-2009
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light

that would have been the last thing that I guessed, was it leaking coolant at all?
Old 12-02-2009
Whachya lookin at?

BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

That's a new one for me. Free is the best though
Old 12-02-2009
Registered!!

I called the dealer around 2pm today to ask if the car is ready and he said not yet because the parts he ordered did not arrive and there's a big possiblity that you can not get the car today.
At around 3pm he called me and telling me that they replaced the belt tensioner but they did not replaced the water pump because it's working fine. And the one that is causing the other noise is the A/C compressor and it is not covered by warranty and it will cost me$1500!!!!!! I said don't fix it. He verified honda Canada and they said it's not covered.

I called the other dealer where i bought the car and they said it is covered by warranty. So i'll bring the car there tomorrow, i hope they will not tell me other fault or it's not covered by warranty.

I just picked up the car and the replacement of belt tensioner did nothing with the noise, still the same. Or did they really replaced something or not. What a day!
Old 12-02-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

so you went in for a water pump tsb, and they didnt change the waterpump? lol and ac compressor has nothing to do with any of this unless the noise happens only when the ac is turned on.
Old 12-04-2009
Registered!!

The other dealer told me that it's the ac clutch bearing and they will replace it but it's not included in the warranty. Is it true that they need to remove the freon when replacing the clutch bearing?
Old 12-04-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

i dont understand why it wouldnt be covered under warranty?
Old 12-05-2009
Whachya lookin at?

Things just aren't making sense here... sounds like everyone is trying to take you for a ride.