8th & 9th Generation Civic 2006 - 2015 9th Gen 2012 - 2015.
8th Gen 2006 - 2011.
9th Gen Chassis Codes: FB2, FB4, FB6, FG 3, FG4.
8th Gen Chassis Codes: FG1, FG2, FA1, FA3, FA5.

2006 Civic EX 4 dr sounds like a Diesel engine?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CodeBlue is an unknown quantity at this point
2006 Civic EX 4 dr sounds like a Diesel engine?

Hi guys,
Having a some strange engine noise. It sounds like that rattling noise that diesel engines make. There's 132,000 km on it, I service regularly from the dealer. The dealer wants to investigate, but I just want to get some input from you all. Does anyone have a simular sound coming from their engine? Anyone have any idea what maybe causing it? I just want an idea so I can prepare myself on what to expect for repairs and costs, as it is no longer under warrenty. Aside from that sound the car runs smoothly. Thx for all your time in advance.
Old 10-24-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2006 Civic EX 4 dr sounds like a Diesel engine?

have you done the valve lash adjustment yet? usually recommended every 100k miles or when the engine becomes noisy.
Old 10-24-2009
Registered!!

No I haven't done the valve lash adjustment, the technician did not mention anything like that. What does this procedure involve? how much does it usually cost? I'm suspicious that they're trying to milk me for money. I just wanna go in well informed.

thx for your time =)
Old 10-24-2009
Registered!!

Awjvail is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by CodeBlue
No I haven't done the valve lash adjustment, the technician did not mention anything like that. What does this procedure involve? how much does it usually cost? I'm suspicious that they're trying to milk me for money. I just wanna go in well informed.

thx for your time =)
If you don't trust them, get rid of them... IE once the car is out of warranty, get away from the stealership to a more trustworthy mechanic that you won't be concerned is going to milk you for every last cent you've got.
Old 10-24-2009
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Awjvail
If you don't trust them, get rid of them... IE once the car is out of warranty, get away from the stealership to a more trustworthy mechanic that you won't be concerned is going to milk you for every last cent you've got.
Well I've always been using this dealership for this civic since the begining. I don't know any other mechanics that I go to regularly. That's why I'm asking here for ppls opinion so I can go in with better knowledge of what to expect.
Old 10-24-2009
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

then its time to go visit shops and see who looks like they are doing an honest job. the dealership is nothing special, in fact most techs working there are high school graduates with minor training that dont really know or care about cars. i have plenty of horror stories from the dealer that would make you never go again. anyway, valve adjustment involves removing the valve cover and using a feeler gauge to measure the clearance of the valves and adjusting back to factory specs (the specs are listed under the hood on the emissions sticker). should cost around $100, prolly 150-200 at the dealer. it should only be done when the car is completely cold so you need to leave the car overnight.
Old 10-24-2009
Registered!!

Thx Gearbox =) Now are there any other reason for the noise? or do you think that would be the most likely cause?
Old 10-24-2009
Premium Member

most likely just needs adjustment. otherwise you could have mechanical issues, but if the engine runs okay i wouldnt worry.
Old 10-24-2009
Registered!!

Thank you very much for you input Gearbox. I will keep you all posted on repairs.