8th & 9th Generation Civic 2006 - 2015 9th Gen 2012 - 2015.
8th Gen 2006 - 2011.
9th Gen Chassis Codes: FB2, FB4, FB6, FG 3, FG4.
8th Gen Chassis Codes: FG1, FG2, FA1, FA3, FA5.

Brand new Civic pulls to the right (I've read the other post)

Old 08-13-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
skobydog is an unknown quantity at this point
Brand new Civic pulls to the right (I've read the other post)

I just picked up my Civic from the dealer today. I didn't notice it at first but after driving for appr 10 miles in the highway I noticed a pull to the right.

Also, when I am going slow and hit small bumps on a back road the steering wheel will move to the right and car will start heading to the right.

Tire pressure seems to be ok with all of the tires.

Question, steering wheel doesn't seem to be exactly centered, seems to be to the right ever so slightly. I can't tell if it's the design of the Civic's cockpit or if it's just a little off.

Also, what are my rights on this issue. This is a brand new car with only 3 miles out of the dealer. I see others who have issues with this including a new camber adjustment or kit.

I'm hoping it's just an alignment. What will, or should, the dealer do and what are my rights. If an alignment won't fix it, can I demand a different car? If the dealer can't fix it with an alignment would it be cheaper to eat the cost of having an alignment shop make whatever repairs necessary?
Old 08-13-2009
Registered!!

rocksinger45 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Brand new Civic pulls to the right (I've read the other post)

That's simple ....Take it back to the dealer...Warranty ... and if it's not fixed to your liking
"LEMMON LAW". I'm surprised the dealer didn't go though (Pre/sale/inspection) the car before they let it off the lot. What dealer was it so I don't go to them.
Old 08-13-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

dealer cant fix it, they do not have the proper parts. all they will do is swap the control arms with another set of defective ones, which will do the same thing. gotta go aftermarket camber kit. if you dont wanna deal with it, just return the car.
Old 08-13-2009
Registered!!

Just wondering, won't replacing the control arm with an aftermarket one void the warranty on the car ?? I'd check it out first.
Old 08-13-2009
Registered!!

Originally Posted by rocksinger45
That's simple ....Take it back to the dealer...Warranty ... and if it's not fixed to your liking
"LEMMON LAW". I'm surprised the dealer didn't go though (Pre/sale/inspection) the car before they let it off the lot. What dealer was it so I don't go to them.
Honda says they can't look at alignments until vehicle has at least 3,000 miles due to new parts settling in. The car only had 3 miles on it when I drove it off of the lot. Dealer did go through presale inspection, I don't think they check alignments. The only info I have on Lemon Law is for used vehicles.

Originally Posted by gearbox
dealer cant fix it, they do not have the proper parts. all they will do is swap the control arms with another set of defective ones, which will do the same thing. gotta go aftermarket camber kit. if you dont wanna deal with it, just return the car.
Hey Gearhead, I've read your other posts with the guy who never did get his vehicle aligned to his satisfaction and you mentioned "ive seen the problem on hundreds of 06+ civics on the road"

Just wondering, how did you hear about so many of these vehicles? Shouldn't there be a recall? How many people do you know that actually had the problem fixed with the aftermarket parts? Also, any idea about breaking factory warranty?

I could spend a lot of time running back and forth to the dealer but if I could get it fixed properly then it would be worth it to me to eat the cost.

This sucks but who would think that a brand new car would have a pull even if it's only slight.
Old 08-13-2009
Registered!!

gotta go aftermarket camber kit. if you dont wanna deal with it, just return the car.
Which aftermarket camber kit are you referring to?

Also, is it that easy to "just return the car"?
Old 08-14-2009
Registered!!

Awjvail is an unknown quantity at this point

Have you gone to the dealer about it at all?

Common sense would tell me that if there is something wrong with a brand new vehicle that I just bought brand new off the lot with 3 miles on it, I would bring it back to the dealer before I did anything else. I'm sure they'd have at least some understanding. Most dealers will realize that you are a customer and you just gave them a large sum of money and are likely to do so in the future as well if they treat you right.

Just sayin'.
Old 08-14-2009
Registered!!

Devani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond repute

most dealers have 2 or 3 days to return the car....you pay for the miles used....but nothing else...hope you are still in that time frame....
Old 08-14-2009
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Devani
most dealers have 2 or 3 days to return the car....you pay for the miles used....but nothing else...hope you are still in that time frame....
I'm not trying to be sarcastic but is there any proof of what you are stating? Any laws? I don't think the dealer is going to go out of their way as I've never done business with them before. Let me know soon if I have is any way of them having to take it back.
Old 08-14-2009
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Devani
Now that service told me Honda's warranty states no adjustments to alignment until 3,000 miles puts me at a disadvantage. Again, it's easy to say bring it back or lemon law but it's not that easy. The dealer I bought it from does high volume and pushes cars out the door. I know they didn't sell me something crashed previously because I saw it wrapped in plastic before picking it up.

Last edited by skobydog; 08-14-2009 at 08:35 AM.
Old 08-14-2009
Registered!!

Call Honda of America and explain to them your situation if the dealer won't fix it...

1-800-999-1009

What state are you in? Here is a summary of lemon laws for all states:
http://www.ohiolemonlaw.com/state-le...-summaries.htm
Old 08-14-2009
Registered!!

Awjval is giving you the best advice when he said to call Honda and make sure you get a case # so you have good documentation of what's going on also did you get any paper work for your visit to the service dept. if not go back and get it.
Old 08-14-2009
Registered!!

Awjval is giving you the best advice when he said to call Honda and make sure you get a case # so you have good documentation of what's going on also did you get any paper work for your visit to the service dept. if not go back and get it.
Old 08-14-2009
Registered!!

Old 08-15-2009
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

imo, this is not a problem that requires returning a brand new car over a minor suspension defect. hundreds of people who dont know any better just keep driving the car like nothings wrong and change the tires every 10k miles and just think "the tires were bad" instead of alignment issues. if you tell the driver their rear tires look like / instead of like | i doubt most would even care. just get an aftermarket camber kit from SPC or ingalls for $150, goto an alignment shop and pay maybe another $250 for install and alignment, and problem solved. by the time you wait 3k miles for the dealer to try and fail, the tires are already 60% worn out.

go check what theyre doing about this on 8thcivic.com too, they deal only with 06+ civic. our site is mostly 01-05 civic.
Old 08-15-2009
Registered!!

Gearbox .... what about the warranty ???Doesn't this void it. So this guy should spend $400.00 on a factory warranty defect ... Hum.... sounds like a quick fix to make some after market company $$$$
Old 08-15-2009
Registered!!

I'll keep good records. The "pull" is really only a slight drift so I'm guessing everything is going to check out as far as alignment specs go. I called a different dealer and they gave me the "slight drift" BS as a safety precaution for falling asleep (yeah, I know, BS). Yesterday and today I didn't notice it as much, maybe I'm a little OCD but will keep records and watch for tire wear.
Old 08-15-2009
Registered!!

imo, this is not a problem that requires returning a brand new car over a minor suspension defect. hundreds of people who dont know any better just keep driving the car like nothings wrong and change the tires every 10k miles and just think "the tires were bad" instead of alignment issues. if you tell the driver their rear tires look like / instead of like | i doubt most would even care. just get an aftermarket camber kit from SPC or ingalls for $150, goto an alignment shop and pay maybe another $250 for install and alignment, and problem solved. by the time you wait 3k miles for the dealer to try and fail, the tires are already 60% worn out.

go check what theyre doing about this on 8thcivic.com too, they deal only with 06+ civic. our site is mostly 01-05 civic.
You shouldn't have to put aftermarket parts on a brand new, 3 day old car in order to make it drive in a straight line due to a manufacturing defect.

This is not a Daewoo.
Old 08-15-2009
Premium Member

i know, but in this case its the only option if you want a properly aligned car that wont eat tires. honda wont be able to fix it because there is no updated part to fix with. they will replace it with the exact same defective part thats on the car.
Old 08-15-2009
Registered!!

Alpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz Erthang

Please see this link
http://www.in.honda.com/Rjanisis/pubs/SB/a08-001.PDF

HONDA Service Bulletin 08-001

Applies To: 2006–07 Civic 2-Door – ALL Except Si and Honda Accessory HFP Package
2006–07 Civic 4-Door – ALL Except Si
2006–07 Civic Hybrid – ALL
2008 Civic Hybrid – From VIN JHMFA3...8S000001 thru JHMFA3...8S010456

Uneven or Rapid Rear Tire Wear
(Supersedes 08-001, dated February 5, 2009, to revise the information marked by the black bars)

REVISION SUMMARY
Under WARRANTY CLAIM INFORMATION, the flat
rate time for a four-wheel alignment was updated after
the operation was reviewed and validated.
NOTE: To ensure a proper repair and proper
reimbursement, you must read this entire service
bulletin before doing any work.

SYMPTOM

The customer may complain of uneven or rapid rear
tire wear, a roaring noise from the rear, or a vibration at
highway speeds.

PROBABLE CAUSE
The combination of the tires and the rear suspension
geometry may cause rapid and uneven rear tire wear.
Tires in an advanced stage of this diagonal or inner
edge wear may cause vibration and/or a bad bearing
type noise. (For more details, see TIRE INSPECTION
AND QUALIFICATION on page 2.)

CORRECTIVE ACTION

Install a rear upper control arm kit, replace the flange
bolts and the worn tires (see the Tire Replacement
Information chart on page 2), and do a four-wheel
alignment to the new specification listed in REPAIR
PROCEDURE.

PARTS INFORMATION
Rear Upper Control Arm Kit:
P/N 04523-SNA-A01, H/C 9113184
(Contains control arms and six flange bolts.)
Old 08-15-2009
Premium Member

can anyone confirm if that replacement part is different than the original?
Old 08-16-2009
Registered!!

Alpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz Erthang

If it was the same, why would they replace it.

I mean if it was the same, dont you think they would just make sure it was not damaged. If it was damaged then replace it.
But according to the Service Bulletin the "Replacement" piece is marked with a "C". So the tech would know if it has been replaced. If so then look for damage, if not replace it.
Old 08-16-2009
Premium Member

same reason why they replaced the defective 06+ SI transmissions with a new one, only to have the problem come back again. dealer techs dont know any better than to just replace a part.

well i cross checked the numbers and it appears in this case, the new arms are a different part number. so there is a chance this might work.
Old 08-16-2009
Registered!!

I would not say it is the dealer techs fault by any means.
They do what they are told to do, if it is broken, replace it.

There is no fixing, repairing or rebuilding due to insurance and liability reasons.

So if a trans is failing, local shop will rebuild it and send you on your way.
If that same trans is failing the dealership will replace it with a new one and send you on your way. I personally prefer the dealerships way of thinking. I also understand where the local ship comes into play. My car, if need be, goes to the dealership for big things. My S10 goes to the local guy down the street. Both have their place, both have good "techs".
Old 08-17-2009
Registered!!

valerina is an unknown quantity at this point

just fyi, my car does that too and it's 2 weeks old 2009 civic but I don't find it being a big problem cause streets are never straight anyways and it's pulled very slightly to the right