8th & 9th Generation Civic 2006 - 2015 9th Gen 2012 - 2015.
8th Gen 2006 - 2011.
9th Gen Chassis Codes: FB2, FB4, FB6, FG 3, FG4.
8th Gen Chassis Codes: FG1, FG2, FA1, FA3, FA5.

'09 Civic, Auto: What RPM's (speed) for the Best Mileage?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Joseph Fihn is an unknown quantity at this point
'09 Civic, Auto: What RPM's (speed) for the Best Mileage?

Last May, I purchased my first, '09 Civic EX, Auto. I was wondering at what RPM range you get the best mileage? This is the main reason for purchasing the Civic, in the first place.

My '03 Cummins diesel is most efficient at the 1800-1900 rpm range. Cummins builds these engines to operate that way in that rpm range. I was wondering if Honda does a similar thing?

The car has about 1300 miles on it, now. I've been breaking it in, sensibly, because I would like to keep this car for quite awhile. So far, I've gotten around 26 mpg's with ALL in-town driving & a high of 36 mpg's with ALL highway (Interstate, flat, no hills) driving (62-65 mph.) My last fill-up was just a bit over 30 mpg's. That was with the vast majority of in-town, surface street driving & about 20 miles of freeway (in-town) driving. I drive conservatively. Is this mileage what is to be expected for this new a car? Will it improve, with time? Just curious.

Any thoughts & suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Joe F.
Old 07-12-2009
Registered!!

One_Fit_Civic is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: '09 Civic, Auto: What RPM's (speed) for the Best Mileage?

for me try not to be the first off the line i keep it under 2500 rpm and at 60 its at 2000 so far so good i get about 365 miles off one tank(when their is one gas marker left)
Old 07-12-2009
Registered!!

rocksinger45 is an unknown quantity at this point

The owner's manual gives the best advice.
Old 07-12-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

your numbers seem normal. best mileage with most auto cars is around 35mph once the torque converter locks out. obviously with auto, there is little chance of adjusting rpms or shifting. car wont be fully broken in til around 20k miles.
Old 07-22-2009
Registered!!

hcisbest is an unknown quantity at this point

I bought mine in '07 and pondered about the mileage in the beginning just like you. The best mileage of its class was also the reason I picked the Civic (besides better looks). My initial mileage was about the avg you're getting now, but about 10K miles later it was about 40mpg on the road. On my next trip from Nebraska to California I stopped at the pump only 3 times. I was in disbelief and wanted to double check on the way back... and it was true. Being a smooth driver also improves your mileage by about 30%. I'm sure this is the best car I ever had; buying price is a little higher than other simillars, but cost to own is worth it. Besides it drives awesome, never breaks down and I feel completely safe when I travel. The easy to see digital speedometer has also saved me from tickets even though mine is a red car. All my friends who needed to used my car say they love it without me asking. Actually 2 also bought a Civic and the other an Accord. I make no comments ahead of time, just let them drive and fall in love. PS: I shared a 1997 Civic with my college roomate for 6 years, we put a lot of miles going to work and taking long road trips and it never broke down on us. I came back to Honda after almost going broke by fixing my Corolla.
Old 07-22-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang

Yep, ^^ The smoother you drive, the better fuel economy you will get. Thats for sure. also if you shift it into neutral at stop, that doesnt save any gas because while the load is taken off, the RPM's increase slightly (someone verify).
Old 07-23-2009
Registered!!

Devani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond repute

that seems like normal...I am getting 30+ mpg on my 09 SI...it's mostly highway but trying to keep under 70 is so hard
Old 07-23-2009
Registered!!

Joseph Fihn is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, last Sunday, I decided to take a drive to Flagstaff, AZ. in my new Civic EX. Phoenix, AZ. is at the 1100+' elevation & Flagstaff is at the 7200' elevation. So, you're looking at about a 6000+' climb, all freeway except a bit of in town driving in Flag. I've got around 1800+ miles on the car.

I decided to fill-up before the trip to see what kind of mileage I would get on the trip. All driving before the fill-up was in town, stop & go driving & showed a bit over 23 mpg. I filled up at a Quick Trip station (which, sells a good, tier three fuel, 87 octane). I tried to maintain about 62 to 65 mph. on the trip with the idea of getting good fuel mileage.

When I got to Flag, I drove around town, a bit & then fueled-up at a Fry's grocery store (sells Flying J fuel). Got around 36.5 mpg. Not bad for a 6000' climb and around 136 miles of driving.

Now this is the interesting part, on the way back, mountain driving, freeway (I-17) but, dropping 6000', I filled up at the Quick Trip back in Phoenix & got 51.2 mpg. I hand-calculated all the fill-ups & did this one twice, just to be sure. I would have been happy to have been in the low 40's but, am thrilled with 51.2 mpg.

I'm liking this car more & more, everyday!!!

Joe F.
Old 07-23-2009
Registered!!

JREJ8 is an unknown quantity at this point

basically as low as possible without lugging the motor
Old 05-26-2012
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
digger is an unknown quantity at this point

Son and I recently returned from a Rt 66 trip out west and back in the 09 Honda Civic automatic. Averaged 49 to 51 mpg most tank fill ups. Speeds 60-70 MPR. Amsoil 0w20 and ATF, Tires 34 lbs. Note: And we were at or over the 800 or 900 lb limit for passengers and baggage. Car never missed a beat. Love the Civic.

Digger