8th & 9th Generation Civic 2006 - 2015 9th Gen 2012 - 2015.
8th Gen 2006 - 2011.
9th Gen Chassis Codes: FB2, FB4, FB6, FG 3, FG4.
8th Gen Chassis Codes: FG1, FG2, FA1, FA3, FA5.

2009 HONDA CIVIC LX Starting Incorrectly

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
09lxslc is an unknown quantity at this point
2009 HONDA CIVIC LX Starting Incorrectly

I bought a new 2009 Civic LX in December 2008 and about 2 months ago, I took the car back to the Honda dealership service department to have our brand new car serviced because I had trouble with the car starting properly.

The problem with the starting is that WHEN YOU GET IN THE CAR AND PUT THE KEY IN THE IGNITION, IT TYPICALLY STARTS PERFECT. OTHER TIMES, RANDOMLY, THE CAR WILL CRANK, AS IF IT IS TRYING TO START BUT NOT CATCHING. IT USUALLY TAKES ABOUT 2-3 TIMES BEFORE IT WILL START. IT HAPPENS AT RANDOMS TIMES, WHEN THE GAS IS FULL, WHEN THE GAS IS ALMOST EMPTY; WHEN THE WEATHER IS -7 AND WHEN THE WEATHER IS +15.

Let me know if any of you have had any problems like this and the response you have received from the dealerships.

Last edited by 09lxslc; 05-05-2009 at 08:51 PM.
Old 05-04-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2009 HONDA CIVIC LX Starting Incorrectly

IN THIS DAY IN AGE, it is NOT NORMAL to have to "prime" a brand-new vehicle.

actually, this is very normal. it gives the fuel pump a chance to build pressure. if i turn the key to start without waiting, my civic always starts in 4 cranks. if i let it sit in ON position for 2 seconds, it only starts in 3 cranks. i recommend doing this all the time and it only takes a couple seconds of waiting. if you try this and still have starting problems, my money is on the immobilizer security system not reading the key and then shutting off the fuel and ignition system. and bear in mind no car is ever perfect. ive also had random moments when the car just refused to start so a waited a minute, tried again, and started just fine. but this should only happen maybe few times a month.
Old 05-05-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
09lxslc is an unknown quantity at this point

I am not saying that is is perfect...trust me it's not.
What I am saying is that everyone I know who drives a car, never has to do this, therefore I find it hard to believe that it is normal. I have driven about 4 previous vehicles and none of which needed to be primed. I know previous Honda Owners who have never had this problem and New Honda Owners who have...sooo?
Old 05-06-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

i didnt say it needs to be primed, i only said it helps the car start faster. you may want to check 8thcivic.com and see if they ran into this problem before.