8th & 9th Generation Civic 2006 - 2015 9th Gen 2012 - 2015.
8th Gen 2006 - 2011.
9th Gen Chassis Codes: FB2, FB4, FB6, FG 3, FG4.
8th Gen Chassis Codes: FG1, FG2, FA1, FA3, FA5.

New Here. Just bought 2009 Civic EX-L!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2008
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
09civic is an unknown quantity at this point
New Here. Just bought 2009 Civic EX-L!!!

I just want to say hi as I am new on the forums. Today I just traded in my 2007 Cadillac STS for a 2009 Civic Sedan EX-L. So far I am quite impressed with the car.

I still do miss my Caddy, but it will be a matter of time to adjust, and with the amount I drive I'm sure I won't miss the gas mileage of the V8 Northstar.

I have been hearing some of these woes about peple only getting MPG's in the low to mid 20's. But I only have 10 miles on my car right now, so we will wait and see.

-Daniel
Old 10-01-2008
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: New Here. Just bought 2009 Civic EX-L!!!

once you break it in, gas mileage should go up. my 2002 still gets roughly 30 city and 40 highway. but it depends how you drive. any pics?
Old 11-15-2008
Registered!!

DUI Elite is an unknown quantity at this point

congrats! first other 09' i've heard of on here...

just got an 09' LX-S myself...

have any plans for it?
Old 11-21-2008
Registered!!

benc is an unknown quantity at this point

I too just picked up a 2009 EX-L. This car replaced a BMW 328 and am at the moment it is a great ride.

Gearbox,

How long does the usual breakin take before the higer MPG's set in? Just curious. I got 33 on the first tank...

Thanks,
ben
Old 11-21-2008
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

about 20k miles for full break-in. but you will see it improve along the way.
Old 11-22-2008
Registered!!

Thanks!!

I have been looking at your thread you started on the LCD products. It looks to be the real deal. When do they recommend starting to use those products?

Also, in your experience, what is the best synthetic to run? I drive 120 miles a day and am looking for the best protection to the motor. I use mobil 1 in our odyssey, but was curious if there is something better out there....
Old 11-22-2008
My Pony Princess is the inspiration for my ride.

speedfoos is an unknown quantity at this point

Mobil1 is more than fine for a daily-driven NA vehicle. THere are "better" oils out there, but not really necessary for your application. Royal Purple and Eneos(sp?) are two of them, but honestly you're just wasting money on them if you don't track the car or abuse the oil in some other way.
Old 11-22-2008
Registered!!

Thanks for the input. This little car is working out really well. I am looking forward to the 38-40 mpg everyone talks about.

Plus my new Alpine NAV unit and CDT audio equipment should be here soon. Then it is going to be awesome!!!
Old 11-22-2008
Premium Member

the FP-plus gas additive you can use right away, the lc20 for oil i would wait at least 5k miles, maybe 10k before using just to be sure the initial break-in is over. i do not recommend using a synthetic oil. and with the LC products, you dont have to anyways. it makes conventional last at least 10k miles, and provides better lubrication. ive been using both lc products every day for 3 yrs. ive gotten as high as 42 mpg on the highway with my 02 civic. i have almost 90k miles on my car and still average around 30mpg city and 40 highway in the summer, with intake/header/exhaust mods too.
Old 11-22-2008
Registered!!

Mustang11 is an unknown quantity at this point

must admit Im not a big fan of the new Civic
Old 11-23-2008
Registered!!

Originally Posted by gearbox
the FP-plus gas additive you can use right away, the lc20 for oil i would wait at least 5k miles, maybe 10k before using just to be sure the initial break-in is over. i do not recommend using a synthetic oil. and with the LC products, you dont have to anyways. it makes conventional last at least 10k miles, and provides better lubrication. ive been using both lc products every day for 3 yrs. ive gotten as high as 42 mpg on the highway with my 02 civic. i have almost 90k miles on my car and still average around 30mpg city and 40 highway in the summer, with intake/header/exhaust mods too.
Thanks for the input. If you don't recommend synthetic, what is your recommendation for standard oil?

I will get some of the product coming. It looks to be a great product.
Old 11-23-2008
Premium Member

valvoline conventional oil gets my vote. after 50k miles you can switch to the maxlife. thats what i use now in 5w30.
Old 11-23-2008
Registered!!

padrel is an unknown quantity at this point

Just got my EX-L sedan a few days ago. Might add Honda wing, front spoiler and side skirts in the near future, unless anyone can recommend something better.
Old 11-23-2008
Registered!!

Mustang11 is an unknown quantity at this point

how much HP does the car have
Old 11-23-2008
Registered!!

oldfart420 is an unknown quantity at this point

Me too! It should be here (Duncan, BC) and ready to go by next weekend.

Apparently, there's only one 2009 EX-L 5-speed Rallye Red 2-door coupe in all of Canada (thankfully in BC) with no other orders showing up in their books?? Weird! Maybe it's an unfashionable color now. Maybe I'm showing my age. Oh well, too bad for the guy in Kamloops who couldn't get a co-signer for his loan. The only extras I got are the fog lamps, 'cuz I live on the left coast, and . . . well . . . it gets pretty darn rainy and foggy and hard to see out here sometimes.

I'm retiring a $500 '87 Accord sedan that I got three years ago from a co-worker. A lot of things are just wearing out from age and (ab)usage, but the thing still doesn't squeak or rattle, and still gets good gas mileage (kilometerage??). I hope my second Honda has the same kind of longevity. Of course, it will be babied a lot more.

I'm really glad I found this site last week. I think it'll answer a lot of my questions and give me a good idea what other's think of their Civics. Good and bad.

In case you haven't checked it out yet, I highly recommend that you visit Bryan's Rice-Boy Page, in case you get any crazy ideas.

ciao
of420
Old 11-27-2008
Registered!!

DUI Elite is an unknown quantity at this point

has anyone put in the "bass speaker system" that honda offers into their car?

i was thinking about getting it and was wondering if anyone had any experience with it either

a ) not being worth it, (weak)

b ) being annoying

c ) being dependable (wont blow the first time i crank it up)
Old 11-28-2008
Premium Member

dont bother. its a pair of paper woofer speakers that look the same as the stock speakers, and a tiny amp. i doubt you would even notice any difference. go aftermarket and get some real speakers and amp. it will sound better for sure.
Old 12-06-2008
Registered!!

Teasip is an unknown quantity at this point

I just ordered an '09 EX-L sedan for the daughter and am wanting to purchase the flaps, wheel locks, and trunk tray. I have an '08 Rallye Red Si sedan myself. Will the '08 accessories also work for the '09? One of the online retailers who I've used in the past doesn't list the '09 options as of yet. BTW, I love the Si and this is from someone about to hit 50 y/o!
Old 12-06-2008
Premium Member

they should. check out www.handaaccessories.com for all your oem parts needs. also may want to sign up at 8thcivic.com forums.
Old 12-06-2008
Registered!!

Teasip is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for the additional link, as well as the response.
Old 07-21-2009
Registered!!

mjb0023 is an unknown quantity at this point

For all 06-09 4 door Civic Sedan, or civic SI. The color is crystal black pearl. I have the hardware if you need it Just add an extra $80 compared to $130 From Honda. no scratches on the side skirts.never been mounted.I am willing to drop them off if its in the S.F. area or local pick up is OK. Feel free to contact me at mjb0023@hotmail.com or call me at 707-548-9571
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo0230.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	76959  

Last edited by mjb0023; 07-21-2009 at 11:50 PM.