8th & 9th Generation Civic 2006 - 2015 9th Gen 2012 - 2015.
8th Gen 2006 - 2011.
9th Gen Chassis Codes: FB2, FB4, FB6, FG 3, FG4.
8th Gen Chassis Codes: FG1, FG2, FA1, FA3, FA5.

Paint Quality

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2008
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
vaff is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Paint Quality

I've had my 08 LX for less than 3 months, and I can't believe the number of paint and stone chips that I've taken. My 00 Acura EL has nowhere near this kind of damage.

Is it the paint quality, vehicle design, or just plain old bad luck? I know that black is terrible for showing nicks, but I hate to see what it'll look like in 5 years at this rate

Vaughn
Old 05-20-2008
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Paint Quality

its just thin paint, my 7thgen is the same way i have over 100 chips on the front lip that really needs new paint lol. there is more primer showing than actual paint.
Old 05-20-2008
Registered!!

rocksinger is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a black 08 Civic and I have to agree cheap paint, I bought a half mask that helped protect the front end, also I live in LA Cal which is pretty brutal on all paint.
Old 01-14-2009
Registered!!

GMCivic08 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have the same problem with my 08 Sedan LX in Galaxy Grey. I was told that it's the type of paint. Apparently, they are using harder paints (read, more brittle). This was from a Honda BS (no pun intended). I think the guy was full of b.s.
Old 01-15-2009
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

its true 06+ civics got even worse paint than previous models, it chips easily and is very thin. but then again these are civics not bmws.
Old 01-15-2009
Registered!!

rocksinger is an unknown quantity at this point

Ditto here, CHEAP O CHEAP O Night Hawk Black paint on my 08 EXL
Old 01-20-2009
Registered!!

Scorvus is an unknown quantity at this point

I've noticed the same thing in my TW. I'm assuming the angle of the bumper and hood has to do with it also, the air travels very fast in those spots.
Old 01-20-2009
Registered!!

BJanzen is a glorious beacon of lightBJanzen is a glorious beacon of lightBJanzen is a glorious beacon of lightBJanzen is a glorious beacon of lightBJanzen is a glorious beacon of lightBJanzen is a glorious beacon of light

I hate the paint on civics...Find more chips every time I wash my car

Our paint FTL.
Old 01-20-2009
Premium Member

if i had to guess, id say ive prolly touched up over 100 chips all over even the sides and rear. but mostly the front. i gave up and after a couple years had to buy a new oem lip. the previous one has oh maybe 1000 chips on it. there was more primer than paint.
Old 01-22-2009
Registered!!

henslaw is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry Re: Paint Quality

[B]I have a civic lx, 08. after just two weeks of drivin, saw paint chips on the hood and the fron bumper. honda paint sucks bigtime. figer needs to repaint it after a year or so. other than that, honda rules!

Originally Posted by vaff
I've had my 08 LX for less than 3 months, and I can't believe the number of paint and stone chips that I've taken. My 00 Acura EL has nowhere near this kind of damage.

Is it the paint quality, vehicle design, or just plain old bad luck? I know that black is terrible for showing nicks, but I hate to see what it'll look like in 5 years at this rate

Vaughn