8th & 9th Generation Civic 2006 - 2015 9th Gen 2012 - 2015.
8th Gen 2006 - 2011.
9th Gen Chassis Codes: FB2, FB4, FB6, FG 3, FG4.
8th Gen Chassis Codes: FG1, FG2, FA1, FA3, FA5.

Help an old timer out with an amp in a 2007 Civic Si factory HU

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2008
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cosmodozer is an unknown quantity at this point
Help an old timer out with an amp in a 2007 Civic Si factory HU

Okay, new to the forums. I have searched and searched, and cannot find a straight forward answer, so I apologize if this has already been covered.

2007 Honda Civic Si Premium sound system, everything factory. I decided to reaplace the front speakers with some Alpine components, and added a 4 channel Alpine amp. I took the speaker wires that were running o the 6 1/2 front speakers, and wired to it a line out converter. Line out converter to the amp. Amp to the apeakers.

I tied the remote turn on to a fuse that has power when the engine is running (fuse 8). So, when i just turn the car on, (not start the engine), the amp will not turn on. Amp only turns on when engine is running.

Well, all good to go, i turn the key (not starting the engine), and the factory amp starts to play the rear speakers and sub. When i start up the engine, the new amp kicks on, but the factory amp shuts off. Its almost like the factory amp sees an aftermarket amp installed and shuts off. What in the wide world of sports is that all about?

thanks for any help!!
Old 05-14-2008
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Help an old timer out with an amp in a 2007 Civic Si factory HU

not really sure what you did, but if you are replacing the oem stuff, you really need to remove it. and also, the stock setup is wired differently for the fronts. and you should be using amp that accepts speaker level inputs.
Old 05-14-2008
Registered!!

Wpattie is an unknown quantity at this point

well you say you have the amps remote on hooked up to fuse 8? well I would suggest hooking it to the Car Radio Switched 12v+ Wire: Yellow/Red ( If you have voltage meter, slap it on there just to double check to make sure its switched) this wire is located on the stock radio wire harness or I would hook this wire into the ACC ignition wire which should be a White/Red wire (again, I'd test it just to be safe)
Old 05-14-2008
Registered!!

Wpattie is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok forget what i said about the 12V+ switched wire: Yellow/Red, wrong model. There should be a light Blue wire that is a Amp on wire for the stock amp for the sub. Id just use that.. you already know it works. lol. https://www.civicforums.com/forums/a...3&d=1209819290

Last edited by Wpattie; 05-14-2008 at 10:25 AM.
Old 05-14-2008
Registered!!

cosmodozer is an unknown quantity at this point

yes, i am simly replacing the OEM front speakers (including tweeters). Adding an Alpine amp, which does have speaker inputs. However, i was told to use a Line out converter as opposed to the speaker inputs. Just a better connection i guess. So, keeping everything factory except the front speakers and a new amp.

I am the last person to say whats right versus what wrong, but does it matter what fuse I use? As long as it doesnt provide power when the car is off. I got one of those tap in HHH fuse thingies, and just plugged it into #8.

THe one thing that has been sitting on my mind, is maybe i should have tapped into the factory speaker wires right at the back of the head unit, rather than tap into them right at the speaker.

I just found this.