8th & 9th Generation Civic 2006 - 2015 9th Gen 2012 - 2015.
8th Gen 2006 - 2011.
9th Gen Chassis Codes: FB2, FB4, FB6, FG 3, FG4.
8th Gen Chassis Codes: FG1, FG2, FA1, FA3, FA5.

Si Vs Ex

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2007
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Emerican is an unknown quantity at this point
Si Vs Ex

Is there a big difference in speed and power from the Si to the EX? I have an 07 EX right now, and was going to put an exhaust on it and maybe a cold air intake. Should i sell mine and get a 06 or 07 Si?

If so, how much would a used 07 or 06 si cost me?
Old 10-24-2007
Registered!!

HighBoost is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Si Vs Ex

yea u should just get a SI... about the price ...do a search on kelly blue book i think ?
Old 10-24-2007
7th gen old timer.
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

CivicHatch9one has a reputation beyond reputeCivicHatch9one has a reputation beyond reputeCivicHatch9one has a reputation beyond reputeCivicHatch9one has a reputation beyond reputeCivicHatch9one has a reputation beyond reputeCivicHatch9one has a reputation beyond reputeCivicHatch9one has a reputation beyond reputeCivicHatch9one has a reputation beyond reputeCivicHatch9one has a reputation beyond reputeCivicHatch9one has a reputation beyond reputeCivicHatch9one has a reputation beyond repute

si>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>ex by FAR. get the si. its just all around better.
Old 10-24-2007
Registered!!

cody123 can only hope to improve

Si is better in a lot of ways Dohc more hp torque...only thing i could say is it weighs 200 pounds more i own an 07 Ex and am happy w/it when i pay it off i will mod but sometimes you have to work with what you got. If you have the cash flow get the Si.
Old 10-25-2007
Registered!!

plastics is an unknown quantity at this point

I was able to get the speed "Kuri" chip for my 07EX from my friend at Japan. The chips said you should get another 30 hp, so it should bump my stock 140hp to 170hp, but at the need of premium gas.

I do now put premium in, but I don't think it bumps it by 30hp, but the EX is stronger and I would say it;s got another 20hp. not bad for $120.

I think the chip added more torque than horsepower. I have driven the Si model which I think is pretty wimpy at low rpm and pick up a storm at higher rpm.

Plastics
Old 10-25-2007
Registered!!

FGCOUPE is a name known to allFGCOUPE is a name known to allFGCOUPE is a name known to allFGCOUPE is a name known to allFGCOUPE is a name known to allFGCOUPE is a name known to allFGCOUPE is a name known to allFGCOUPE is a name known to all

Originally Posted by cody123
Si is better in a lot of ways Dohc more hp torque...only thing i could say is it weighs 200 pounds more i own an 07 Ex and am happy w/it when i pay it off i will mod but sometimes you have to work with what you got. If you have the cash flow get the Si.

+1 REP
Not everyone has the cash for an Si, nor can wait months for one to be shipped in.
Old 10-25-2007
Registered!!

SiMiranda is an unknown quantity at this point

No contest..........SI....Your're talking two different cars with two different engines. The Si being tuned for a more performance drive. The EX with an exhaust is still an EX.
Old 10-25-2007
Registered!!

FGCOUPE is a name known to allFGCOUPE is a name known to allFGCOUPE is a name known to allFGCOUPE is a name known to allFGCOUPE is a name known to allFGCOUPE is a name known to allFGCOUPE is a name known to allFGCOUPE is a name known to all

mhm....
Si has the more agressive cam profile, LSD, +goodies like 6-SPD, etc...

EX is an EX even with CAI, Exhaust, etc...
unless your EX gets a Turbo/Supercharger then itll have power but still has a 5-SPD with no LSD.
Old 10-25-2007
Registered!!

MarchMadnessisM has a spectacular aura aboutMarchMadnessisM has a spectacular aura aboutMarchMadnessisM has a spectacular aura about

yea i ordered my 08 Si in EARLY August it is now LATE october n its not due in till next month im sad but itll def be worth the wait once it comes in! Si all the way!
Old 10-26-2007
Registered!!

cbuff2007 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MarchMadnessisM
yea i ordered my 08 Si in EARLY August it is now LATE october n its not due in till next month im sad but itll def be worth the wait once it comes in! Si all the way!
Thats funny the dealership where i bought my ex had 2 Si's well actually 3 if you count the one they had when i first started looking they had a black Si coupe and a black Si sedan. the coupe sold before i bought my Ex but they had a red Si coupe in stock. I went with a red Ex in order to save money, on payments and gas.
Old 10-27-2007
7th gen old timer.

CivicHatch9one has a reputation beyond reputeCivicHatch9one has a reputation beyond reputeCivicHatch9one has a reputation beyond reputeCivicHatch9one has a reputation beyond reputeCivicHatch9one has a reputation beyond reputeCivicHatch9one has a reputation beyond reputeCivicHatch9one has a reputation beyond reputeCivicHatch9one has a reputation beyond reputeCivicHatch9one has a reputation beyond reputeCivicHatch9one has a reputation beyond reputeCivicHatch9one has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FGCOUPE
mhm....
Si has the more agressive cam profile, LSD, +goodies like 6-SPD, etc...

EX is an EX even with CAI, Exhaust, etc...
unless your EX gets a Turbo/Supercharger then itll have power but still has a 5-SPD with no LSD.
more aggressive cam profile? it has a dohc. its a 2.0 not a 1.8 its a different motor all together. not just what you named.
Old 10-30-2007
Registered!!

PLENTYofCARS is an unknown quantity at this point

i got my 07 Si back in may. i knew the salesman so i got a deal, but without the hookup, with tax and everything it wouldve come out to around 23 or 24000..thats in NY at least.

in regards to hooking up an EX or getting an Si, i have a friend who thought he would save some money by getting the EX, and adding on exhaust and a cai, all that did really was make his car louder, he was so pissed when i blew by him and beat him by multiple car lengths. plus, its fun having the redline all the way at 8000rpms! the Si comes with a factory cai made by honda so that would be 1 less thing to do, for a while
Old 11-02-2007
Registered!!

jettie1767 is an unknown quantity at this point

Went with the EX here. There was an HFP-modded Red SI in the showroom plus there was also a black one in the lot. While I like driving stick, it's a pain in the neck here in NJ/NY. Besides, the EX is more economical for a daily driver.
Old 11-02-2007
Registered!!

Originally Posted by cody123

civichatch9one:

i already know that, it was posted earlier, i just named a few other options off the top of my frickin head.

Old 11-03-2007
Registered!!

D16Z6_owner is an unknown quantity at this point

The 8th gen has an i-VTEC k20z3
Old 11-03-2007
Registered!!

i agree ,if you have the cashflow buy an Si, unlike myself
i only had 25k cash up front to play, so to me it was either
buy an Si.....or buy a basemodel and deck it out!

i opted for the DX which came bone stock with hubcaps and A/C
that it!

ive spent nearly 10k on upgrades now and it flies real good, im hoping
to get a Vid maybe tommorow night of this thing in action now that my
ProShift system is operative.

not bad for a R-series 1.8L N/A with only bolt ons for now.
I plan on strapping on a Turbocharger at some point in the
next year or so but we'll see.

either way....im having a blast with my Civic Non-Si
Old 11-04-2007
7th gen old timer.

Originally Posted by jettie1767
Went with the EX here. There was an HFP-modded Red SI in the showroom plus there was also a black one in the lot. While I like driving stick, it's a pain in the neck here in NJ/NY. Besides, the EX is more economical for a daily driver.
well that depends on the person. i will never drive an auto. i hate it. i sat in traffic for 3 and1/2 hours on the Lincoln tunnel last week i didn't mind much. it becomes so much like second nature i really don't even notice I'm shifting sometimes. i love manual.
Originally Posted by FGCOUPE
civichatch9one:

i already know that, it was posted earlier, i just named a few other options off the top of my frickin head.

k u just said cam profiles and LSD like that was the only difference
Old 11-19-2007
Registered!!

sigbrown1297 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by CivicHatch9one
well that depends on the person. i will never drive an auto. i hate it. i sat in traffic for 3 and1/2 hours on the Lincoln tunnel last week i didn't mind much. it becomes so much like second nature i really don't even notice I'm shifting sometimes. i love manual.

k u just said cam profiles and LSD like that was the only difference
I know its not a hug amount, but the Si takes premium fuel. So everytime you fill up, you're gonna pay around 3 bucks more.
Old 11-19-2007
Registered!!

Yea....3.00 more for premium fuel and not so good mileage either,
so youll be at the pump more often.
Old 11-19-2007
Registered!!

HonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond repute

you can adjust your driving a little to help boost the mileage, but i agree that you will spend more. you will also need to consider the performance difference: Si is way more performance oriented out of the box, not needing bolt-ons to get started, but the ex is more dd friendly. the Si is a better choice for the performance oriented individual, and the ex is the better choice for the economical minded individual.
Old 11-20-2007
Registered!!

Connie is a jewel in the roughConnie is a jewel in the roughConnie is a jewel in the rough

Look at it this way... for speed, there are only a very few cars that you would be able to take in an Si and not in an EX. I had an EX and it was great. My brother and mom (as of last weekend) both have an Si and they are happy with their cars as well.

Go for what you can afford, the Si is a little more fun to drive but after all is said and done they are both still Civics.
Old 12-29-2007
Registered!!

wincros is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Emerican
Is there a big difference in speed and power from the Si to the EX? I have an 07 EX right now, and was going to put an exhaust on it and maybe a cold air intake. Should i sell mine and get a 06 or 07 Si?
Yeah big difference in power and handling if you think it is worth the cost. LA Times said today that gasoline would be at $4/gallon by the end of 08 and higher after that. Keep your EX and watch its used price go up. It is going to be a hot rod in a sea of hybrids and diesels without the gas mileage penalty of an SI.

Add ons: If you think the manufacturers of these things have the engineering staff and budget of Honda... There is a reason many of them do not work or shorten the life of your engine. Honda is already getting 1.3 horsepower per cubic inch out the EX engine which is considerably better than the 1.1 horsepower per cubic inch of a Corvette.
Old 12-30-2007
Registered!!

rocksinger is an unknown quantity at this point

I just bought a 2008 4 door EXL Civic and I'm very happy... with the price of gas reaching 350 a gal I didn't want to get stuck buying Prem Gas, I looked at the SI and didn't like the seats but loved the rear wing so I bought the SI wing and I'm now wondering if I can put the SI foot petals in my EXL....not looking for speed...but I do like comfort and economy.
Old 12-30-2007
Jza
Registered!!

Jza is a jewel in the roughJza is a jewel in the roughJza is a jewel in the roughJza is a jewel in the rough

yea i ordered my 08 Si in EARLY August it is now LATE octobre n its not due in till next month im sad but itll def be worth the wait once it comes in! Si all the way!
I hope you saved some money for grammar lessons.

I drive an '03 Si, Canadian though. I don't know what the code is down in the states. It's got 15 more horsepower then the other Civic models up here. Looking into getting an '03 SiR in a year or so.
Old 01-03-2008
Registered!!

deviousin10tion will become famous soon enoughdeviousin10tion will become famous soon enough

Dude that sucks I walked into the dealership and they had the Si Coupe I bought a Si Sedan and the Mugen Si Sedan. But $35,000 for a Civic Si I couldn't even try to negotiate with my wife on that one.