8th & 9th Generation Civic 2006 - 2015 9th Gen 2012 - 2015.
8th Gen 2006 - 2011.
9th Gen Chassis Codes: FB2, FB4, FB6, FG 3, FG4.
8th Gen Chassis Codes: FG1, FG2, FA1, FA3, FA5.

Windshield distortion

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2007
dlm
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dlm is an unknown quantity at this point
Windshield distortion

I have a 2007 Si that I got new last April. Since the beginning I've noticed distortion around the middle (between the top and bottom) of the right (passenger) side of windshield. It's kind of like vertical waves . If the cars sitting still and I look at a fixed object through that area of the windshield, then move my body sideways back and forth, the distortion is clearly noticeable. It's also apparent when I'm looking through that area while making right turns.

I'm not sure this poses a serious safety hazard, but it is annoying. Has anyone else noticed this at all on their windshields? Will the dealership replace the windshield?

Thanks,
D.L.

Last edited by dlm; 10-06-2007 at 04:12 PM.
Old 10-06-2007
Feel safe at night, sleep with a paramedic.

AmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Windshield distortion

it sounds defective, i would think it would be covered by the warranty. one could argue that distortion affecting ones depth perception, in the part of the windshield they're looking through to check for pedestrians crossing while making a right, is a safety concern, at least for the pedestrian.
Old 10-06-2007
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang

You guys do have a gnarly angle on your windshields, warranty ftw.
Old 10-06-2007
Registered!!

arbittan will become famous soon enough

Windshield distortion is normal on any car. It is an inherent flaw of sandwich based windshields. Like LCD monitors with defective pixels, manufactures allow a certain percentage of distortion before they will deem it a manufacture defect.

Also note that replacing a windshield removes the factory seal condition (which is in a controlled environment) which entails losing that "factory look". Sound damping, and if not requested an aftermarket brand could be installed.

Can you post a picture of the distortion?
Old 10-06-2007
Feel safe at night, sleep with a paramedic.

AmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond repute

the first part i'll agree with, the second is only true if you use a questionble shop. there is no loss of "factory look" or any of the other attributes you mentioned as long as the windshield is an OEM replacement, installed with proper adhesives by a qualified dealer, or shop.
Old 10-06-2007
Registered!!

arbittan will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by AmbulanceMonkee
the first part i'll agree with, the second is only true if you use a questionble shop. there is no loss of "factory look" or any of the other attributes you mentioned as long as the windshield is an OEM replacement, installed with proper adhesives by a qualified dealer, or shop.

When installing a windshield at an auto repair facility that will keep your car over night then you should not encounter any problems. When you use a service that comes to your work or home to do the service, it will be okay as long as you do not drive your vehicle for 24 hours. The bonding adhesives need time to cure. If you decide to replace your windshield in a climate below 70 then you may want to leave your car alone for 48 hours or longer. The basis for the "other attributes" come from people who do not listen to keep their glass down a crack to equalize pressure from inside the car. They may not see it but opening and closing your doors after a fresh install will make the glass move (or vibrate).

Unfortunately glass replacement both front and rear are considered major work and needs to be treat as such. I have a really good glass man and I have the space to store my cars if they need that type of service done. If you lease your car, it is very important that you ask for OEM glass. It must say Honda on it. Some dealerships have been known to ding you when you bring it back at the end of the lease. (I had an Acura CL that I replaced the windshield because of a stone chip. The appraiser saw PPG Glass and noted on my appraisal it had been in a major accident! which it wasn't)

In any case, just follow the instructions the glass service gives you. And if you can, let the car rest for a day to let the adhesive cure properly.

Please note, do not leave the blue masking tape on the vehicle for more than 12 hours. It will adhere to the paint.

Thanks