8th & 9th Generation Civic 2006 - 2015 9th Gen 2012 - 2015.
8th Gen 2006 - 2011.
9th Gen Chassis Codes: FB2, FB4, FB6, FG 3, FG4.
8th Gen Chassis Codes: FG1, FG2, FA1, FA3, FA5.

Questions about new Civic EX / SI

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2007
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
metroplex is an unknown quantity at this point
Questions about new Civic EX / SI

I am thinking about buying a new Civic EX or Si Coupe. I currently drive a S197 Mustang GT (5-speed manual) and wanted something to drive in the winter that wasn't going to bore me to death, but has to handle light snow (3"-4") without snow tires or a laundry list of modifications. I do not plan to modify the Civic.

I noticed Honda's website states the base Civics have limited slip differentials but then NEVER seems to mention it again inside the technical details. However, Honda plasters info about the helical LSD on all the Si pages (Torsen-style differential from what I recall due to the helical cut gears).

1). So which is it? Do all the Civics come with LSD's or just the Si?

2). How well does the Si Coupe handle light snow with the stock tires?

3). What kind of real-world gas mileage figures is everyone getting with their EX or Si?

4). Could I safely use 87 octane in the Si? I know the website says to use Premium, but I run 87 octane in everything including the Stang.

5). Does the EX and Si both come with MP3-CD players? The website mentions a $600+ optional MP3 player but then states they all come with MP3 CD capability...

6). How reliable are the Civics? Do I need to take it back to the dealership every X miles/months or can I just change the basic fluids every so often like a Ford and expect years of reliable operation?

7). Why doesn't the Si have optional foglights while the EX has a $319 option?

The Civic really impressed me with its list of features. The new styling and interior really caught my attention. I was looking at the Focus and even the Mazda3, but the Civic seems to blow them away completely and isn't too expensive.

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-23-2007
Registered!!

jenndubSI is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Questions about new Civic EX / SI

hey. i drive an '06 si.
1.) afik only Si's from with LSD's.
2.) My car did pretty well with snow living in Michigan. Although, I didnt drive it that much in the winter because I have an accord for the winter.
3.) It about 25 mpg although it matters a lot how fast you accelerate and how early you shift. I was hoping that it would get better gas mileage.
4.) I am sure that you could but I definately would not. I just started putting mid-grade in my car but I will probably be switching back to premium soon.
5.) I am pretty sure that the Si only comes ready with the mp3 but I think that you can have the dealership install a mp3 player for you in the EX.
6.) My car has never needed service although its only a little more than a year old. The only thing that I ever take it in for are oil changes, but I am sure that you can do that yourself.
7.) I don't think that foglights come standard on an Si and the EX. I had to add mine on.

Yeah I would definately get a civic. My family has mad honda's and we have never had any problems with them. I absolutely love my civic Si and I am glad that I got the Si instead of the Ex. In the end the Si was the better deal because I wanted to add everything on the Ex so it came out to be almost the same price for the Ex as the Si.
Old 07-23-2007
Registered!!

metroplex is an unknown quantity at this point

I priced out the EX and the Si on Honda's website and the price delta is about $2k. Did you install the foglights yourself or did the dealer do it upon request when you bought the car?

I was in GR a few months ago... It's quite a different place from SE MI. There seem to be a lot less people even in Downtown GR during rush hour.
Old 07-24-2007
Registered!!

jenndubSI is an unknown quantity at this point

yeah there might be a bigger difference just because i had added everything possible to the ex so it was almost the same as the si with everything stock on the si but then i ended up just adding everything to the si making it more expensive.

haha yeah g. rap is way different than like detroit.
Old 07-29-2007
Registered!!

Disguised29 is an unknown quantity at this point

id go with the si personally but i do drive one

Civics good doing winter i drive in chicago and we get some bad winters

Civics last very long, friend works at a repair shop and said that civics are overall the longest lasting cars and the si s now are made to me messed around with psychos like me

i get about 23-25 miles to a gallon and i floor it alot!

i really wouldnt put 87 in it did that once worked fine but i wouldnt risk it because it a high rev engine and to those you need good gas

i play mp3s on mine and dont get the ipod converter becuase its got a cable insert forgot whats called but get the cable for 6 bucks at best buy and use your ipod

so thats my personal opinion hope you go si let us know which 1 you choose