Interior Post information/questions/Issues about Interiror Parts here.

Sun Visor split open?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
peasantdog is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Sun Visor split open?

Originally Posted by Bobcat
Casey,

Yes, it's in writing, I had my dealership print me out a copy. Only they had access to the website for the notice it's called "service bulletin". On the notice, it said "Owners of 2006-09 Civics will receive a notification of this warranty extension." I haven't received the notification yet, I just so happened to ask when I went in for the oil change. To be safe, I would call your dealership and ask about it and make sure that your car falls under this extended warranty and that they have the part in stock.

Best of luck!
I own a 2007 Civic and just had the visor repaired by the dealer. My visor failed during the winter at about 90K miles. I recently took it to the dealer for repair at 104K miles. I was notified Honda has extended the warranty covering the visor to 100K miles. The dealer therefore refused to repair my visor. Unfortunately, Honda didn't send a notice informing me of the warranty extension for the visor. I called Honda North America. They arranged for the visor to be repaired by the dealer, under warranty, the following day.
Old 10-08-2011
Registered!!

Reabralop is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Reabralop
Fortunatley mine still stays in position but the plastic has broken. So it doesn't go back up without special treatment. Been thinking of this cheap fix and finally did it today. Metal spring clip (big one). I just put it on and seemed to work so I'll give it a try the next few days. If that fails, I'll follow up.
My driver's visor was the one failing. A couple weeks ago the passenger visor began to fail. I took it to the dealer to replace them, under warranty. Done.
Old 05-20-2012
Registered!!

barryaz1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Dealer replaced another visor for me yesterday and also replaced the drivers side when I said it was only a matter of time on that one, too. So now on my second set of replacements. Dealer confirmed the 100k limit but agreed it should and might get extended. Anyone past 100K, just keep pushing Honda. This will not self-cure at 100 for those of us in hot areas (Arizona for me)

Last edited by barryaz1; 06-12-2012 at 06:33 PM. Reason: Fix typos
Old 06-11-2012
Registered!!

Shanainai is an unknown quantity at this point

I too have had this problem, and I live in Canada. I do find that it only happens if I leave the visor down on a hot day. I have been able to put it back up and the split closes again, but it looks like this is going to be another issue for me and my 2006 Civic EX. Is there a number in Canada I can call to complain? I also just had to have the compressor and clutch assembly replaced for my A/C...which I think is ridiculous, since I dont' really get much use from it...my husband has s 2003 Civic and hasn't had to replace his....arggg....not sure I'm gonna be buying another Honda anytime soon
Old 07-05-2012
Registered!!

Rameca is an unknown quantity at this point

We have been a "HONDA" family for more than 12 years. Right now we have 3 Civic and 1 Pilot. I don't want to say "used to love Honda" but looks like I have to beging lookig out of the box. Honda is not the only option (it was for me till ...now.) Just sold an Accord (2204) that I used for 6 month. A very well treated car (only 1 previous owner) with to many issues. (It is gone..) Now a bought a 2007 Civic with 59000 miles, by knowing the saler, and the love I use to have (till today) for Honda did not "deep" checked it. Now there are "too many" thing falling apart and the car looks perfect but it is not. The sun visor...terrible...the doors gaskets ...what is going on with Honda?
Old 07-05-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

The sun visor...
Honda bulletin 11-031

Warranty now covers both sunvisors for 7 years/100,000 miles (USA).

Applies to all 06-08 and some 09,
(vehicle VIN must be checked to verify coverage)

Go to your dealer.
See if it applies to YOUR car.
Old 10-14-2012
Registered!!

denniskirby is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Sun Visor split open? Heres the fix

Take it down and wrap it with duct tape. Wrap it real tight about 6 times. Put it back up. Silver tape matches very good with a grey interior. Color it with a marker if you don't like it. You can go right beside the mirror. Don't put the tape on until its flat together. I'm amazed that Honda hasn't taken care of this. Anyway, that's the fix
Old 10-14-2012
Registered!!

denniskirby is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Sun Visor split open? The fix

Take it down and wrap it with duct tape. Wrap it real tight about 6 times Just were it is split. Use your head. . Put it back up. Silver tape matches very good with a grey interior. Color it with a marker if you don't like it. You can go right beside the mirror. Don't put the tape on until its flat together. I'm amazed that Honda hasn't taken care of this. Anyway, that's the fix
Old 06-29-2013
Registered!!

paulchilds67 is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs down Re: Sun Visor split open?

2007 Civic, both visors split in 2011, both replaced under class action lawsuit, 2013, passenger side spilt again, so faulty visors replaced with same faulty known issue, simply NOT DAM GOOD ENOUGH HONDA!
now they refuse to replace it, so I will be contacting the legal people

How do u expect me to want to buy another Honda?
Old 07-15-2013
Registered!!

Today I had a dealer perform my now annual split visor replacement. This set had lasted 13 months.

I'm now at 81,000 miles. I have no intention of absorbing this annual cost after my 100K/7 year point. That will be a conversation with Honda at that time, or a formal filing with the NHTSA for the safety hazard of the sudden flopping of a split visor into the drivers view.

Anyone had that conversation yet?
Old 08-06-2014
Registered!!

Laconic is an unknown quantity at this point

Driver side visor split open on the wife's 2011. I guess the issue's still not fixed...
Old 08-06-2014
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Laconic
Driver side visor split open on the wife's 2011. I guess the issue's still not fixed...
My 2010s never split but did droop down too much for me. $41 online with some other needed items.

Any warranty left ?? (time or mileage) Call HOA and stir something up.
Old 12-15-2014
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
06 EX Mild Mods has a spectacular aura about06 EX Mild Mods has a spectacular aura about06 EX Mild Mods has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by CraigW
My 2010s never split but did droop down too much for me. $41 online with some other needed items.

Any warranty left ?? (time or mileage) Call HOA and stir something up.
I had my 06 EX split visors replaced for free by dealer a couple of years ago, the driver side split and hung down all the time.
Old 12-16-2014

CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by 06 EX Mild Mods
I had my 06 EX split visors replaced for free by dealer a couple of years ago, the driver side split and hung down all the time.
My 2010 had the "Improved"
version (part # never changed) and was not covered, talked to the real parts guy and he said there was paper work for replacement under extension (did not ask for lower price then msrp)

Mine did not split, but seam loosened enough that it drooped down and drove me crazy Improved my ***.
Old 12-16-2014
Registered!!

My 2010 had the "Improved"
version (part # never changed) and was not covered, talked to the real parts guy and he said there was paper work for replacement under extension (did not ask for lower price then msrp)

Mine did not split, but seam loosened enough that it drooped down and drove me crazy Improved my ***.
That's actually the first symptom. I'm at the 17 month point from my last replacement and probably living on borrowed time.
Old 12-16-2014

(Poorly)sonic welded junk.
Old 06-30-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by barryaz1
I'm at the 17 month point from my last replacement and probably living on borrowed time.
Dead now after 23 months. Including the originals, I'm now replacing my 4th set. Just dumb. Now that I'm at 102K, we'll see what Honda says. Stay tuned...
Old 06-30-2015

The new ones are still not 100% as you have experienced, I'm surprised they keep giving them to you.

That AZ sun must be hard on them.

When folding forward my recently replaced drivers side it wont hold at certain angles.

Do yours still split open ?? My 2010s never split, but opened enough it was useless... and of course was not covered.
Old 06-30-2015
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
jordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nice

I stopped trying.
Drill a tiny hole through both sides of the visor, then feed a twisty tie through.
Twist it on the side that folds up really tight with some pliers.

Solves the issue, and the only thing you see on the outside is a small black line.
Bonus if you get a twisty tie that is close to the car color.

I'd take a picture, but my wife and I are splitting and she has the 2006.
Old 07-01-2015

I bought the drivers side, but will not the passenger though.

I use my magic shades in the summer, and should be gently lowering them.... but do not.
Old 07-02-2015
Registered!!

Dead now after 23 months. Including the originals, I'm now replacing my 4th set. Just dumb. Now that I'm at 103K, we'll see what Honda says. Stay tuned...
Went to the dealer today (and yes, the visor is split) and they said, "Nope, your extended warranty's over." Called AH, and within an hour had not an extension ("Can't, since there's a class action suit involved."), but will reimburse me as a "courtesy." Same difference as far as I'm concerned. Will do next week and report back here.

Here's the track record:
Picked up car (new) 12/07
1st Replacement 7/11
2nd Replacement 5/12
3rd Replacement 7/13
Now 4th Replacement 7/15

Just silly. Pretty sure I won't have the vehicle for the next set...
Old 07-03-2015

When they split wide open, they are certainly a safety issue, Even if the drivers side droops, it is also dangerous.

What sucks is they did very little to resolve the root of the problem. Better, but not fixed.
Old 08-15-2015
Registered!!

hoalbert is an unknown quantity at this point

When they split wide open, they are certainly a safety issue, Even if the drivers side droops, it is also dangerous.

What sucks is they did very little to resolve the root of the problem. Better, but not fixed.
My Civic 2011 driver sun visor split open. I went to dealer and was told that my 3 years warranty is over. I told him that sucks, you have 7 years extended warranty for Civic 2006 to 2009 and my 2011 warranty expired. I called up Honda Canada and was told exactly the same thing and I have to pay and fix myself. Thanks Honda for the flaw in your Sun Visor design and we customers have to pay the price of replacing everytime. I have driven 10 to 15 years old Corolla but never had this problem.
Old 08-15-2015

Do you live out West ?? Or South ??

Only the early 8ths had coverage, later ones are the "improved" ones and have no coverage.

They changed the sonic welding in some way, the part # never changed.
Old 08-15-2015
Registered!!

Star1967 will become famous soon enough

I used pantyhose on the sun visors and it works duct tape is okay but the interior is beige.
Old 08-15-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone tried using sunvisors from a completely different car?
Accord, CRV, etc?
Old 08-16-2015

I think certain model Acura ones fit.
Old 08-16-2015
Registered!!

Star1967 will become famous soon enough

I didn't know that but most of the Acuras I've seen were picked over or the interior just gone.
Old 11-09-2015
Registered!!

Went to the dealer today (and yes, the visor is split) and they said, "Nope, your extended warranty's over." Called AH, and within an hour had not an extension ("Can't, since there's a class action suit involved."), but will reimburse me as a "courtesy." Same difference as far as I'm concerned. Will do next week and report back here.

Here's the track record:
Picked up car (new) 12/07
1st Replacement 7/11
2nd Replacement 5/12
3rd Replacement 7/13
Now 4th Replacement 7/15

Just silly. Pretty sure I won't have the vehicle for the next set...
It's "only" taken 4 months, but I got a check today from AH for $173.48. I guess the next one will be my son's problem. Since he's in Northern California, maybe this visor will last longer
Old 11-16-2015
Registered!!

Dgdi is an unknown quantity at this point

Got a 2010 LX and the visors on it split over the past few months. Drivers side split in August, passenger side in late September. Strange that they failed so close together, as I rarely ever use the passenger visor. I guess these "upgraded" visors are made to last 4 years instead of 1...

Of course, the dealer said there's no recall on them, so grumble,grumble, $76 each for new visors. Eh, I don't think so, buddy...

Does anyone know if there are any after-market visors that are properly made? I would think there's a market for them since the factory visors are obviously defective, just wondering if anyone was actually making them.

Quick Reply: Sun Visor split open?