8th & 9th Generation Civic 2006 - 2015 9th Gen 2012 - 2015.
8th Gen 2006 - 2011.
9th Gen Chassis Codes: FB2, FB4, FB6, FG 3, FG4.
8th Gen Chassis Codes: FG1, FG2, FA1, FA3, FA5.

Tips for new hybrid audio system

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2007
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
shepmaster is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Tips for new hybrid audio system

Hey all, I just put down some cash on my new 2007 Hybrid, and now I turn to your expertise. I've been lurking over at the greenhyrid.com forums, reading up on all the hybrid-specific tips. However, most of those posters are concerned more about MPG than sound fidelity.

Currently, I have a 92 Volvo wagon with an updated head unit, 2x10s, and a Lightning Audio amp in monoblock mode. All that work was done myself, but I'd like to take my brand new baby to a pro to get it done right. Since I am buying the car (= $$$), I have a feeling that I won't be able to do the whole system all at once.

My question to you is: What upgrade will get me the most bang for the buck? Where should I concentrate: head unit, sub(with amp?), or upgrading the factory speakers? I assume that the (non-navi) audio system in the Hybrid is going to be similar to what is in the EX, so hopefully there are a few people out there with good suggestions for me.

Thanks!
Old 06-18-2007
Registered!!

plastics is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Tips for new hybrid audio system

I had my 2007 EX sedan for a 3 days and I took it to a stereo shop for upgrade.

2 front Alpine R component speakers (for front)
4 x 50Watts RMS Alpine Power amp.
10 inch Alpine S subwoofer in custom box in the trunk.

2 channel of the power amp drive the front speakers and 2 channel drives the subwoofer. ( I left the rear speaker as OEM's).

the sound is awesome.

- I did not upgrade the head unit because now it get expensive with custom dash, etc.. I found the stock OEM head unit to be very good, just needed some help with the power output and the speakers.

Hope this helps.

Plastics
07 EX Sedan black .
Old 06-18-2007
Registered!!

shepmaster is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by plastics
I had my 2007 EX sedan for a 3 days and I took it to a stereo shop for upgrade.
Does the EX have the A-pillar tweeters, or one combined speaker? The hybrid has the 6-speaker system, which I assume is 2x dash, 2x door, and 2x back under the glass, so I would need combined drivers.

2 front Alpine R component speakers (for front)
4 x 50Watts RMS Alpine Power amp.
10 inch Alpine S subwoofer in custom box in the trunk.

2 channel of the power amp drive the front speakers and 2 channel drives the subwoofer. ( I left the rear speaker as OEM's).
Interesting. I wonder if I can reuse my current amp and 10s... where is your amp mounted? I read a mention about putting it on the seat back, but that is where the hybrid batteries are stored. I could possibly get it mounted on the battery pack box, on the trunk side. I could always get it mounted to the sub enclosure. Is your sub easily removable?

I found the stock OEM head unit to be very good, just needed some help with the power output and the speakers.
Did you have to get the stereo -> RCA level converter box, or did your amp have speaker-level inputs?

Do you remember about how much all this cost? Just a rough breakdown of component costs and installation cost, so I have a rough idea of what I'm jumping into...

Thanks!
Old 06-19-2007
Registered!!

plastics is an unknown quantity at this point

Here is the notes on my stereo set up:

1) Front Alpine R speakers are component speakers; with the tweeters at the bottom of the A pillar on the dash. and the woofer in the front doors.

2) the Power Amp is bolt to the right seat back. The beauty of this is that you can flip the seat back to adjust the power amp if you want to fiddle with the controls.

3) The head unit is hook up to speaker output to the PowerAmp. The PowerAmp has the adjustment to accept speaker output. Also, the PowerAmp has the filters to choose between regular speakders or subwoofers.

4) As far as cost goes, I think it is

2 Alpine R speakers $200
1 Alpine 4x 50W power amp $300
1 Alpine 10 in sub in custom box $250
installation and wire kit $300

5) The subwoofer is screw to the trunk. You can take it out if you need more luggage space (I've never done that). It rest on the right side, so you can still flip the left side seat back forward. Also, the installer score a new line on the cardboard spare-tire lid to allow removal of the spare tire without taking out the subwoofer.

6) Hybrid trunk- I know the Hybrid trunk is smaller due to the battery pack. You can probably bolt it to the side of the subwoofer if you go that route.

Hope this helps ..

PS: I think you can probably recyle some of your older equipment.

Plastics
07 Civie EX black Sedan