8th & 9th Generation Civic 2006 - 2015 9th Gen 2012 - 2015.
8th Gen 2006 - 2011.
9th Gen Chassis Codes: FB2, FB4, FB6, FG 3, FG4.
8th Gen Chassis Codes: FG1, FG2, FA1, FA3, FA5.

ABS Concern on my 06 Si

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2007
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bronwyn031 is an unknown quantity at this point
ABS Concern on my 06 Si

Question,
Was showing off my 06 Si to a friend passenger on a remote rural back road (no patroling Highway Patrol). Had my little Screaming Meanie up to about 112mph (shhh) and climbing when all of a sudden a mysterious "Stop Sign" comes out of no where.
I depressed the the brake pedal to about 1/2 way and started a sudden but controlled (at least what I thought was a controlled stop) when my steering wheel started oscillating VIOLENTLY and the nose started bouncing in an almost rythmic pitch during the deceleration.

We came to a stop in time for the Stop Sign but the ordeal scared the crap outta the both of us (the braking, not the abuse of speed).

Before anyone chimes in about speeding and what not, I fully understand the rules and laws of the road and I'm not prone to speeding about like some maniac. This was an isolated event just to show off the pick-up of the K20 iVtec of my Si.
What I am writing this post about is the violent oscillation of the brakes and the pitching of the front-end during abrupt braking.
Has anyone experienced anything like this with their Honda Si under similar conditions.
This vehicle is 8 months old and has been BABIED to the MAX. This would be the first time I've ever sent the car into ABS (if that truly was what happened) since purchasing it.

I'm just thinking that if this is how the ABS system is suppose to work, "Gawd Forbid" you have to use it during cornering. As bad as the front end was pitching, I'm afraid that would be DISASTROUS while cornering.

I've already had my passenger side Sun-Visor replaced twice I'd hate to think there may be something defective with the ABS brake system (if there is truly anything wrong with the ABS system).

Was just wondering if any Speed-Demons or Racers on here have come across anything like this before.

Bronwyn,
Old 03-29-2007
Registered!!

Bronwyn031 is an unknown quantity at this point
Pics

Old 03-30-2007
Registered!!

EMK20a2 will become famous soon enoughEMK20a2 will become famous soon enough
Re: ABS Concern on my 06 Si

It sounds like normal ABS to me. The thing about ABS and cornering is that you should NOT be on the brakes at all while cornering. If you are, that means you have messed up and are at a point of recovery. The ABS may at the worst, cause the car to push through the corner and wreck front end first. Without the ABS you would likely press the brakes way to hard in a panic, the suden shift of weight to the front of the car combined with the act of turning would likely send you into a oversteer spin. Rule of thumb is that most of the time you are better wrecking by a push than oversteer, just because it is more controlled and will likely turn out better.

I myself disconect my ABS when I am tracking the car because at points I use the brakes to help steer the car (trail braking). ABS is never a good feeling of control, but for most people it is for the best.
Old 04-03-2007
my civic has no boost

hotrodcivic2004 should not be trusted
Re: ABS Concern on my 06 Si

u were going 112 mph.....i've done the same from about 120......and its pretty violent and unpleasant ....and it smells like....brake. but sounds like they are fine.