8th & 9th Generation Civic 2006 - 2015 9th Gen 2012 - 2015.
8th Gen 2006 - 2011.
9th Gen Chassis Codes: FB2, FB4, FB6, FG 3, FG4.
8th Gen Chassis Codes: FG1, FG2, FA1, FA3, FA5.

Jerks and stutters at low speeds

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
StickShiftDrifter is an unknown quantity at this point
Jerks and stutters at low speeds

Hi
I just bought an LX with a StickShift.
At low speeds* such as cruising in parking lot it jerks and stutters...can someone tell me if this is normal or is this an issue.

*lower than 10mph it starts to stutter
Old 08-08-2006
WLH
Registered!!

WLH is an unknown quantity at this point
Mine does that too but it seems to be just the pleasure of driving a standard. The gearing for putting around at those speeds is not optimum. I had '88 Daytona that was a bugger in bumper to bumper traffic.
Old 08-08-2006
Registered!!

I end up riding the clutch just to keep it smooth, do you think that's gonna accelerate clutch wear?
Old 08-08-2006
WLH
Registered!!

WLH is an unknown quantity at this point
Not as much as you are probably worried about. The engine and trans are not under load so the forces on the clutch are minimalized. Not a lot of torque happening at those rpms. Throttle is a bit touchy I have noticed at low speeds. You get used to it. The car won;t idle along at speeds under 9 km/h I have noticed (approx. 6 mph) and is "sensative" to throttle to about 15km/h (approx. 10mph). I generally just give it some gas and coast along until I slow down too much. Your leg will get more worn out then your clutch.
Old 08-08-2006
Registered!!

Thanks, I was worried that it stuttered because I stalled it a few times and it's still in its first 1000km> I hear you must not stall it at any cost in the first 1000km. But thanks, now I feel better =)
Old 08-08-2006
Registered!!

kero is an unknown quantity at this point
I have driven stick for most of my life, except for the past few cars as my wife has to be able to drive mine should hers has problems.

Most new clutches are very very sensitive and hondas especially. Once the clutch breaks in and wears a little, the cluth will be much smoother, thus less jerking.
Old 08-23-2006
Registered!!

Wayne L is an unknown quantity at this point
jerking manual transmission

The jerking that I experience seems to originate from what I believe to be too much play in the final drive. Dealer says it is normal but I am sickened thinking about the final drive gears slamming together all the time
Old 09-16-2006
Registered!!

quebeclx is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs down jerks and stutters

I seem to have the same problem.I'm thinking it is my way of driving a manual trans.with no cables to the throttle and being all electronic there is a definate time lag as far as the jerking.Dealer says this is normal,but it is very very annoying.The stuttering that i have noticed is such that when not enough throttle is given, either because of this time lag or because of not being able to get the right rpm while releasing the clutch ,again because of time lag especially at low rpms then there seems to be that stuttering or i call it run on .As in shutting of engine and it still wants to run. So i have now tried gas with a higher octane for about two tanks fulls and it seems to have helped.So i am not sure.
Old 09-17-2006
Registered!!

Since I don't drive in low speeds too often, I figure riding the clutch while I do won't hurt too much.
And yes, that lag...kills it sometimes. For example, u'r trying to accelerate faster but due to the lag you misjudge. and when all the power comes...you burn ur tires and feel like **** because u think u'r running the engine too hard.
Old 09-19-2006
Registered!!

beto is an unknown quantity at this point
Dive by Wire (DBW)

My car acts the same way. It jerks and hesitates at low speeds and in gear. This is more pronounced in 1st and 2nd gear. Although even at highway speeds in 5th, if you release the acelerator for a couple of seconds, and then gently press the accelerator again, you'll still feel the slight jerk/delay. This is caused by the DBW system. Honda is aware of this and as a matter of fact already released a TSB to correct this problem (and the rev. hang) on the Civic Si. I heard that they are working on a TSB for non Si Civics (DX,LX,EX).
Even though I adapted somewhat to this behavior, I can't wait to have it corrected.
Old 09-23-2006
Registered!!

d3crypt is an unknown quantity at this point
I think mine does what you're describing... but I'd go test drive another one to make sure yours isn't a unique problem.

I hate the stalled delay with the Drive by Wire system!

Originally Posted by StickShiftDrifter
Hi
I just bought an LX with a StickShift.
At low speeds* such as cruising in parking lot it jerks and stutters...can someone tell me if this is normal or is this an issue.

*lower than 10mph it starts to stutter
Old 12-05-2006
Registered!!

southerndragoncivic is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Funky Idle: '06 LX 4-dr

I have an 06 LX sedan and when it sits idling it seems to stutter, especially when the A/C compressor cycles on. It's almost as if the speed that the engine idles at is enough to idle but almost not enough to support the compressor. Any ideas?
Old 09-06-2007
Registered!!

rick93684 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Dive by Wire (DBW)

Originally Posted by beto
My car acts the same way. It jerks and hesitates at low speeds and in gear. This is more pronounced in 1st and 2nd gear. Although even at highway speeds in 5th, if you release the acelerator for a couple of seconds, and then gently press the accelerator again, you'll still feel the slight jerk/delay. This is caused by the DBW system. Honda is aware of this and as a matter of fact already released a TSB to correct this problem (and the rev. hang) on the Civic Si. I heard that they are working on a TSB for non Si Civics (DX,LX,EX).
Even though I adapted somewhat to this behavior, I can't wait to have it corrected.
my car does the same thing but ita auto, 2007 civic sedan lx, i notice to when i press on the gas and let go and press again it gives a jerk hope they fix this problem,
Old 09-06-2007
Registered!!

rick93684 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Jerks and stutters at low speeds

Originally Posted by d3crypt
I think mine does what you're describing... but I'd go test drive another one to make sure yours isn't a unique problem.

I hate the stalled delay with the Drive by Wire system!
so have you test drive another one and is it the same because i notice on mine to the jerking, i have the 2007 honda civic 2007 lx sedan automatic
Old 06-29-2010
Registered!!

Rbr368 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Funky Idle: '06 LX 4-dr

Originally Posted by southerndragoncivic
I have an 06 LX sedan and when it sits idling it seems to stutter, especially when the A/C compressor cycles on. It's almost as if the speed that the engine idles at is enough to idle but almost not enough to support the compressor. Any ideas?
my does to a/c on rpm drops to 500 i dont know why any ideas