8th & 9th Generation Civic 2006 - 2015 9th Gen 2012 - 2015.
8th Gen 2006 - 2011.
9th Gen Chassis Codes: FB2, FB4, FB6, FG 3, FG4.
8th Gen Chassis Codes: FG1, FG2, FA1, FA3, FA5.

Hi, I'm new, and AUX input hum question...

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
koreth is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi, I'm new, and AUX input hum question...

Hey guys, got a new 06 ex civic sedan last wednesday. Love it, and I'm glad I found this site. My previous vehicle was a 00 Ford Explorer and I visited a site similar to this for that car, everyone there was able to answer any questions and such just as this site has from what I've seen. Its an awesome car, much better than my Explorer (especially on gas).

So, onto my question. I have a MyFi XM Radio (I bought it when it first came out if that makes any difference, i know they updated the model a year later or something). When i plugged it into the AUX input, i get a really loud humming sound that just increases when i speed up because of the SVC... I unplugged the AUX and am just broadcasting over a FM station which is fine because thats what I used to do, but I'm just curious if this is normal or not... Is that humming sound FROM the XM radio because its so old or whatever? I dont have anything else to test the AUX input at the moment... I just want to make sure that the AUX input isnt screwed up or something so i can take it in... Does this sound like its coming from the XM radio or does it sound like the AUX input is screwed up?

Also, speaking of XM radio's... Does anyone know how much the xm componant is for the xm ready radio? I would love to get one integrated into the car if i could in order to get rid of some cords, but dont want to spend a lot of money when i already have one that works fine...

Thanks
Old 07-31-2006
KRM
Registered!!

KRM is an unknown quantity at this point
Sounds like the cable connection to the Aux input has a bad ground.
Could be a broken shield or ground connection in a connector at either end of the cable.
Old 07-31-2006
Registered!!

pico is an unknown quantity at this point
Congratulations on your new wheels! Im a fellow Explorer to Civic owner. Nice doubling you MPGs huh?

Is it the cheap cable that comes with the unit or a better quality one like a Monster Cable? I would try a new cable first. If no luck, try borrowing a friends MP3 or IPOD for a test.
Old 08-04-2006
Registered!!

MordeKyle is an unknown quantity at this point
its sounds like you are getting engine static in your sound. A bad cable or a bad ground or anything like that would not increase in noise or change sound as the engines rpms increased, this just sounds like static from the xm itself. Most wireless devises will infact get engine static. The parts in the engine are constatly running causeing vibrations. Vibrations are actually what sound is. High pitch vibrations from the engine is what you are hearing through your system. Modern FM tuners and whatnot have a pitch guard that actually counters any engine static, but i assume that your xm devise does not. You can try buying cables and doing all that, but i dont think youll have any luck
Old 08-04-2006
Registered!!

Shishpanik is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by pico
Congratulations on your new wheels! Im a fellow Explorer to Civic owner. Nice doubling you MPGs huh?

Is it the cheap cable that comes with the unit or a better quality one like a Monster Cable? I would try a new cable first. If no luck, try borrowing a friends MP3 or IPOD for a test.
Sorry to be off topic pico but is that pic in your avatar a lotus esprit by any chance?
Old 08-04-2006
Registered!!

seattle911 is an unknown quantity at this point
I have an XM radio hooked up to the aux input with no hum.
I am using a $20 Belkin cable that is well shielded. You might
try something like that (Monster makes a very nice one for less money
but I could not find anyone with one in stock.)
The sound is a bit better than using the FM modulator.
Charles
Old 08-04-2006
Registered!!

phantom-civic is an unknown quantity at this point
o man u mean u don't know who magnum is?!?! hahahaha, pico's avatar is from the tv show magnum, in which a private detective in hawaii rolled around solving crimes in his 'landlords' ferrari. I don't know specifically what ferrari it is but its a bright red ferrari spyder circa 1980. You can actually find one on ebay usually for round 40g's.....o yes i've been tempted
Old 08-07-2006
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Shishpanik
Sorry to be off topic pico but is that pic in your avatar a lotus esprit by any chance?
Its magnum pi and his ferrari 308. Hard to tell with the avatar. I thought it was a funny pic. Everyone has their favorite Ferrari...mine is the red 308 (although Crockett's white Testarossa was bad *** also). BUYER BEWARE on those 40k 308s! You may now be able to afford the car, but the parts are still as expensive and hard to come by as a new F430. Most of them are beat up and held together with JB weld and duct tape!
Old 08-07-2006
Registered!!

heres a nice pic of one...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:1...308_GTB_qv.jpg
Old 08-07-2006
Registered!!

Shishpanik is an unknown quantity at this point
Haha yeah I was just wondering because my girlfriends dad has a 1991 turbo lotus esprit es and it looks VERY similar. That thing is FAST, 300 whp riding on 18' oz rallies in the back and 17's in the front with a body weighing only in the mid 2k lbs range. I think he's also putting an LSD on it soon Hopefully he'll let me drive it.