8th & 9th Generation Civic 2006 - 2015 9th Gen 2012 - 2015.
8th Gen 2006 - 2011.
9th Gen Chassis Codes: FB2, FB4, FB6, FG 3, FG4.
8th Gen Chassis Codes: FG1, FG2, FA1, FA3, FA5.

Door Alignment Issues

Old 07-20-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sotony is an unknown quantity at this point
Door Alignment Issues

Hey all--this is my first thread, so please go easy on me if this has already been posted! I recently bought an '06 EX Civic Sedan, 5M with Navi, in Taffeta White. I used to own a silver '00 EX 5M Coupe. I loved that car, but I have to say the new Civic is light years ahead in terms of refinement and usability (though I think the 00 coupe took corners slightly better, but that's to be expected when you up the weight and number of doors).

Incidentally, I initially wanted the Atomic Blue, but looking so late in the model year it was white or wait (for '07)...so as the true American I am I chose immediate gratification. That said--I love this car in white! It is one of the few cars I would even consider in white. One of my favorite styling features of the new sedan is its front grill, and I think the white brings out this feature more than any of the other colors. I still do a double take when I see one in blue, though!

Anyway, on to my question: I looked through all the '06 threads and didn't see anything about door alignment issues, though there were some posts on the edmunds.com user reveiws about the doors on some '06 civics not lining up properly. I noticed that on my rear passenger side door, the gap at the front is larger than the gap at the back. That is, it looks like the door was put on just a little too far back. On the driver's side, the gap between the front and rear doors is the same as the gap between the rear door and rear quarter panel. But on the passenger side, the gap is about 1/8 inch larger between the front and rear doors than it is between the rear door and the rear quarter panel.

So, my question is, has anyone else noticed alignment issues on their doors or any other body panels? Is this something I should live with or talk to the dealer about? I know Honda is supposed to be tops on QC issues, so it is a bit of a disappointment to see something like this.

Anyone have any related stories to share?
Old 07-20-2006
Registered!!

kero is an unknown quantity at this point
Eventhough I have a car that was put together in CANADA (the ones that seem to have more problems) I don't have the door misalignment issue but on www.insideline.com (type in search field 2006 honda civic) I have seen more than a few posts about the misaligned door issue.

When I saw a photo of one guys LX civic sedan, I was shocked how badly the doors were misaligned.

I myself would not keep a car with this issue if the dealer could not fix it immediately. Just me though.

I myself have plenty of clunks, clanks and other odd noises both front and back but no mechanical issues as of yet at 2700 miles. I am doing my oil change this weekend..

Bring it back immediately to the dealer and see what brilliant things they have to say and don't let them tell you it's no big deal as I feel it is.

I hope you can get this problem sorted but yet, I have heard of others with this issue and many dealers say they can't fix it.

How many miles on your car??
Old 07-27-2006
Registered!!

sotony is an unknown quantity at this point
just over 2K now

Overall--it's a great car!! I can't believe how many light years ahead of my '00 ex coupe this car is!
Old 07-28-2006
Registered!!

Terry Wright is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile

Originally Posted by kero
Eventhough I have a car that was put together in CANADA (the ones that seem to have more problems) I don't have the door misalignment issue but on www.insideline.com (type in search field 2006 honda civic) I have seen more than a few posts about the misaligned door issue.

When I saw a photo of one guys LX civic sedan, I was shocked how badly the doors were misaligned.

I myself would not keep a car with this issue if the dealer could not fix it immediately. Just me though.

I myself have plenty of clunks, clanks and other odd noises both front and back but no mechanical issues as of yet at 2700 miles. I am doing my oil change this weekend..

Bring it back immediately to the dealer and see what brilliant things they have to say and don't let them tell you it's no big deal as I feel it is.

I hope you can get this problem sorted but yet, I have heard of others with this issue and many dealers say they can't fix it.

How many miles on your car??
---
I agree with you about the clunks, clanks and other odd noises. If that was all I had I would not be at the dealership. What I have is a constant metallic rattle out of the engine area with a motor mount as the cause. Motor mounts are kind of important as they hold the engine in the car. I would say I can be fairly tolerant with 1/8" misalignments in a door but we all have different thresholds on such things.

thanks for the opportunity to post...

all the best,

Terry
Old 07-28-2006
Registered!!

kero is an unknown quantity at this point
Terry,

Hmmm, I also have a noise like the one you describe but you have to listen hard to hear it.

How was it diagnosed by the dealer? Did they hear it while you drove with them??

I have to admit the noises I have are one thing, but misaligned doors, I would have a problem no matter how minor.
Old 07-29-2009
Registered!!

longenes is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Door Alignment Issues

It's 2009 and the problem is still around. Pay attention Honda!!! My new 2009 VP sedan has door alignment problems too. It looks like the problem starts with the front fenders, which are mounted too high compared to the unibody. The front doors are aligned to the front fender, which mounts the front doors too high in the door opening. The read doors however, are mounted ~ 1/8 inch lower than the front doors, leaving a noticeable gap difference at the bottom of the doors on a Silver car. Most annoying though is looking out the side mirror and seeding the black window trim drop that 1/8 inch from the front door to the back door. Both sides of the car are the same.

As other posters have noted, the dealer will not do anything about the problem, since their position there is no problem.

Now that I have noticed the problem on my car, I pay attention to every 8th generation Civic sedan I see, including those at local Honda dealerships, and have also noted the problem occurs more often on Canadian built Civics than US built models. I have also noted the problem mostly on DX and VP sedans, with fewer problems observed on LX sedans, and no problems observed on EX and Si sedans. Is this just a coincidence, or does Honda actually assemble the more expensive Civics better?
Old 07-29-2009
Registered!!

Devani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Door Alignment Issues

I would assume that doors are same for all civic models...since I have 09 SI with 9K miles, I don't have that problem yet...but it would be nice to have some pictures for everyone to look at...

now you have to demand the dealer to take care of the problem...contact Honda Corp if they don't help you out...