8th & 9th Generation Civic 2006 - 2015 9th Gen 2012 - 2015.
8th Gen 2006 - 2011.
9th Gen Chassis Codes: FB2, FB4, FB6, FG 3, FG4.
8th Gen Chassis Codes: FG1, FG2, FA1, FA3, FA5.

Fog Light Installation

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2006
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hilorains is an unknown quantity at this point
Fog Light Installation

Just got the fog light kit. Anybody do an install? I have the installation instructions but looking for any insights/advice/problems that will help me. Planning to install them this weekend.

Wife's car before mods. My car in the reflection.

To be installed shortly:

Door Edge Guards
Wheel Well Trim
35% Tint (Wife wants to be legal)
Fog Lights
Chin Spoiler
Old 06-21-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CharlieLink is an unknown quantity at this point
Not yet

I am still considering the fog light installation. I did the Interior Illumination on my LX Coupe. The factory says you can't do both, but the customer service people don't know why. I know - it's the dash layout does not support two switches - the panel is occupied by remote mirror control and only has space leftover for one switch (not a problem on the DX w/o remote mirrors). I'm sure I can resolve that sometime, however.

I have some photos available for your under-dash wiring questions, if you are interested. These instructions are not as trivial as it might seem. I wish I had more, but my son's camera went battery dead before I had all I wanted.

As with any project:
1. Read and plan!
2. Make notes as you go along.
3. Take photos if possible - the new digitals are probably better because you can see them immediately. (Even though my best nature photography is analog.)
4. Set aside enough time to do it right. Remember that you will be doing two totally discrete installs - one on the bumper panel and one under the dash. Then you must conjoin the two: ooh - ooh, I hope to learn from you.

Did you download the installation instructions? This is a must! From whom did you buy the kit?

Honda did do a really good job of designing this stuff, and a mediocre job of writing the instructions. And a poor job of explaining it all to their customer service people.

Good luck!
Old 06-22-2006
Registered!!

05blkrs is an unknown quantity at this point
charlie, what i've done in the past, is just wire the fog lights into the parking light w/ a tap and a 5 pin relay.. i know it seems like a "cheap way out" but i always run w/ my foglights on when i have a car with them, and i love the way a car looks with no headlights on but foglights and parking lights only... and i have never had any negative effects from doing this.. i ran my mazda like that for about a year and only had one problem.. and that is that a bulb burned out. but that bulb was about 3 yrs old (picked the fog lights up from a friend) and of course the occasional popped fuse.. but other than that, it was great and i'd do it again in a heart beat if i had the lights for my impreza.
Old 06-22-2006
Registered!!

Got the kit from http://www.anythinghondaonline.com/. Also got a windshield sunshade from them. The kit had no instructions so downloaded from them. Been studying the instructions - not certain whether it is really necessary to disconnect the battery (certainly don't have to disconnect the battery for the bumper work); why I need the anti-theft code (didn't see anything about this); or whether the washer reservoir tank needs to be removed (instructions say to loosen then reinstall). Oh well, guess I'll find out this weekend unless someone can give me some insight.
Old 06-22-2006
Registered!!

Laws

Originally Posted by 05blkrs
charlie, what i've done in the past, is just wire the fog lights into the parking light w/ a tap and a 5 pin relay.. i know it seems like a "cheap way out" but i always run w/ my foglights on when i have a car with them, and i love the way a car looks with no headlights on but foglights and parking lights only... and i have never had any negative effects from doing this.. i ran my mazda like that for about a year and only had one problem.. and that is that a bulb burned out. but that bulb was about 3 yrs old (picked the fog lights up from a friend) and of course the occasional popped fuse.. but other than that, it was great and i'd do it again in a heart beat if i had the lights for my impreza.
In some jurisdictions, it is illegal to run with more than two pair full lights operating. What this means is that it is illegal to use the fog lights when the brights are on. That is what the wiring mechanism takes care of - the fogs go out when the brights are activated, then back on when dims are running. Most aftermarkets don't do this and I don't know of anyone ever being prosecuted. In Nebraska, it's not limited. The use of some super high intensity discharge lights is a much bigger sin and probably will be prosecuted.

Thanks for the simpler suggestion. It's good, quick, cheap, and easy.
Old 06-22-2006
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Hilorains
... not certain whether it is really necessary to disconnect the battery (certainly don't have to disconnect the battery for the bumper work); why I need the anti-theft code (didn't see anything about this) ...
ABSOLUTELY disconnect the battery! Under the dash, you will be winding & weaving among wiring, panel blocks, and lots of electrical things that want nothing more than to find ground through you or your tools. You will also be removing wiring from the fuse block that will encourage an open jump spark that could damage something (take your open jump at the battery - it's less destructive).

Once the battery is disconnected, the radio dies and the power window logic dies. Each of these need to be retrained once you reconnect. That is why you need the security code to bring the radio back to life (also record your radio presets if you want to use the same ones). Your instructions should tell you how to retrain your auto up/down power window as well. If not, just ask .. I can explain how.
Old 06-23-2006
Registered!!

05blkrs is an unknown quantity at this point
i agree... always disconnect the battery...
Old 06-23-2006
Registered!!

Thanks. Planning on doing this in 2 days. Will pull the battery when I work on the switch system in the dash. Hoping to see the chin spoiler today so I can take care of all the front end work this weekend.