8th & 9th Generation Civic 2006 - 2015 9th Gen 2012 - 2015.
8th Gen 2006 - 2011.
9th Gen Chassis Codes: FB2, FB4, FB6, FG 3, FG4.
8th Gen Chassis Codes: FG1, FG2, FA1, FA3, FA5.

Anybody Spring for XM Radio?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
filegumbo is an unknown quantity at this point
Anybody Spring for XM Radio?

Silly me thought that when the EX stereo was advertised as "XM ready", it meant that you just had to call or go online and subscribe. I quickly realized after a trip to the dealer that I needed to purchase about $700 of new equipment. I have decided to forgo XM for now.

Was I naive or is Honda's description of the stereo system as "XM ready" misleading?
Old 06-08-2006

[ i v i ] is an unknown quantity at this point
A little of both, I think.

Honda should have made more clear of what "XM Ready" means. In their higher line cars such as the Accord, S2K, Pilot, and Ridgeline top of the line models, XM hardware is already installed and the service is free for 3 months when you purchase the vehicle. This is not the case with non-navi equipped Civics.

However, you probably should have done some research when you bought the car to understand that the car didn't not come equipped with the hardware and that you would have to purchase it.
Old 06-08-2006
Registered!!

05blkrs is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by filegumbo
Silly me thought that when the EX stereo was advertised as "XM ready", it meant that you just had to call or go online and subscribe. I quickly realized after a trip to the dealer that I needed to purchase about $700 of new equipment. I have decided to forgo XM for now.

Was I naive or is Honda's description of the stereo system as "XM ready" misleading?
well, if you're familiar w/ the stereo industry, you will know that xm ready means that the head unit will control your xm once you buy the equipment.. this is all that "xm ready" means.. so basicly you dont have to mount an extra controler for your xm and you can play it through a designated band like am or fm rather than using a fm tuner wich can sometimes get staticky and such.. what you need to do is find this equipment aftermarket, because honda makes a killing off of these units and it's no different than say the alpine unit except maybe for the plug.. and you can pick up an alpine or pioneer or etc. unit for about a bill at car toys...
Old 06-08-2006

Originally Posted by 05blkrs
what you need to do is find this equipment aftermarket, because honda makes a killing off of these units and it's no different than say the alpine unit except maybe for the plug.. and you can pick up an alpine or pioneer or etc. unit for about a bill at car toys...
The plug on an aftermarket unit is different from the plug on the back of the radio. You can not use an aftermarket tuner with the factory radio. You would need to swap out the head unit too. There are converters out there, but not for Honda yet. Wait a year or so and the converters will come out, or purchase a plug and play unit. If you have the auxillary input (under the power port/cig lighter), you can plug the unit in there and not have to worry about the static from an FM station or losing your signal strength.
Old 06-08-2006
Registered!!

pico is an unknown quantity at this point
Buy Sirius Instead

Buy a SIRIUS portable unit for 50 bucks. The programming is much better. It takes 15 minutes to install and if you have the AUX jack in your car it will sound great. I have both services so I can tell you truthfully which is better.
Old 06-08-2006

I agree with pico on the programming. I've been a SIRIUS subscriber for 2 years now and can testify that the content is 100 times better on SIRIUS.

Old 06-08-2006
Registered!!

filegumbo is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by [ i v i ]
I agree with pico on the programming. I've been a SIRIUS subscriber for 2 years now and can testify that the content is 100 times better on SIRIUS.

Yeah, when I looked over XM's offerings there weren't too many things that called out to me. I will give Sirius a look.
Old 06-09-2006
Registered!!

Fredly is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm not sure why the folks at Honda did it this way. The Coupe EX with Navigation comes with XM radio installed; the Sedan does not.
Old 06-09-2006
Registered!!

pico is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Fredly
I'm not sure why the folks at Honda did it this way. The Coupe EX with Navigation comes with XM radio installed; the Sedan does not.
Really? Its not built into the navi on the sedan? What a rip off!