8th & 9th Generation Civic 2006 - 2015 9th Gen 2012 - 2015.
8th Gen 2006 - 2011.
9th Gen Chassis Codes: FB2, FB4, FB6, FG 3, FG4.
8th Gen Chassis Codes: FG1, FG2, FA1, FA3, FA5.

First 100 mile Driving Impressions - LX Sedan

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
kero is an unknown quantity at this point
First 100 mile Driving Impressions - LX Sedan

Guys,

These are not gripes or complaints, merely observations during my first enjoyable 100 miles. Only had the car since Thursday . I might notice things others don't, only because I am really into cars and feel and hear just about anything, haha.

#1 Either the goodyear RS-A's are to hard or the ride is nice and firm and all bumps, holes and tar strips can be felt. I like this feel in a car by the way, was like my impreza. This also is with correct tire pressures. No No on honda for using these tires on a civic in my view.

#2 On bumps and or shallow patches in the road, there seems to be a REAR HOP or it's the tires and or stiffer suspension than past civics. Or could it be the car still needs to be broken in and the rear suspension is just very new. Maybe the rear of the car is very light and tends not to stay planted as cars with heavier asses.

#3 The highway feel is great and the car stays super composed. Again, on the highway, tons of tire noise with correct pressure. Goodyears, figures.

#4 Steering is great and very quick and responsive. Much quicker that my wife's 05 corolla LE. Steering wheel size in my view is great, I don't like big steering wheels, they just get in the way and belong on 50's automobiles.

#5 Eventhough the LX only comes with front disc rear drums, brakes work great and stop nicely. Steering wheel stays nice and straight during all breaking instances.

#6 Trunk space (for me at least) is very good and useable. I believe I can fit a full size spare and put the tools elsewhere for changing a flat.

NOTE: In every car of mine I carry a 2 ton floor jack which can be purchased at Walmart or any other large chain store in the car dept. They usually cost about $17 and make changing a flat a 10 minute chore, that in the wrong place, can save your life.

#7 Dashboard layout for speedo and tach, once used to them, are great and work as honda designed. I do not have any problems at nite with the speedo being to bright which I read on edmunds or kbb. Once the lights are turned on, it dims for you. Not sure why others complain about this?

#8 Radio is good for normal people, but myself, I will get the Metra dash kit and put an alpine radio in. I was never a big fan of OEM radios. Speakers are another story and I am to tired to talk about them.

#9 I have read about some people complaining about the "POKEY" transmission. Mine is fine and I really don't notice anything funny or odd about it. I really haven't had a chance to really get up and go but won't for at least 500 more miles.

#10 Good luck cleaning that windsheild. I might have to make a home made unit for cleaning both the dash and window as arm reaching just might not cut it.

#11 Paint looks nice and thick and hopefully resistant to scratching as my subaru impreza, a finger nail would just about go half way through the paint with basic pressure. Any subaru owner knows this.

#12 I do notice in reverse the same sound I used to have on my manual transmissions. I like it but others might not.

#13 I have had no creaks and or rattles from the car. I have read other places that some people do? Maybe over time they will occur. Let's see what happens.

#14 Engine has ample power for most occasions. Today I took my wife and mother in law around town with a ton of things in the trunk. No problems getting on the highway and going from reds. I will see when I go camping just how these 140 ponies do on really steep hills

#15 Oh yes, a slight pull the right when letting of the steering wheel on flat roads. This is not from a light but when cruising. Tires pressures are right but it's really not bad enough to warrant another alignment on such a new car. The tires suck anyway so I will replace them around 10,000 and re-align then.

I am sure I left out some things but I do LOVE this car and my wife, although she did not drive it yet, likes it so far just from being a passenger.

Please let me know what you guys think and or confirm and of the things I have posted. I am curious if anyone has some of the feelings posted above.

keRo
Old 04-29-2006
Registered!!

daroga is an unknown quantity at this point
Sounds great! Glad to hear some of the normal complaints debunked at least a little. I'm not up on my abbreviations, so could you say fully what type of tire comes on the car stock?
Old 04-29-2006
Registered!!

On my LX sedan, OEM were goodyear eagle RS-A.

I can't really say if all sedans come with this tire only because when we bought my wife her 05 corolla LE, some dealerships has bridgestones and some had goodyear tires. Baffles me.

I went to tirerack.com and checked the owner reviews of these tires and they are not that good, the reviews that is. The ratings they give are not good as well, which does not shock me as the tires on my wifes corolla, those are hideous as well and are at 8000 miles. They will be replaced at 10,000 for sure.

Like I said, I love the car and my comments were just observations, so stay excited for your car
Old 04-29-2006
Registered!!

Quick question for you, I think I saw someplace where the stereo display was modifed to display a custom message. Is that a legit thing and easily done? Or was that just a concept or photoshop work that I saw?
Old 04-29-2006
Registered!!

I am not sure exactly what you are referring to but I did make my first MP3 CD and it does display info about the MP3 it's playing.

Remember, I only had her since Thursday afternoon but I will do some searching on this topic, sounds interesting.
Old 04-30-2006
Registered!!

Originally Posted by kero
I am not sure exactly what you are referring to but I did make my first MP3 CD and it does display info about the MP3 it's playing.

Remember, I only had her since Thursday afternoon but I will do some searching on this topic, sounds interesting.
Just found this on another forum, supposedly it's in the manual too. Though someone questioned there if it worked on the Sedan models... can't imagine the electronics are all that different, but whatever...
---
Radio must be off. Hold the tuner button and then press the power button. Turn the tuner **** to change letters. Press the top seek button to go to the next character, the bottom seek button to go to the previous character. It will automatically return to the time after 5 seconds.
---
Old 04-30-2006
Registered!!

So, what would you do with a feature like this? Remember you are going to see this message every day. I myself rather so nothing to be honest.
Old 04-30-2006
Registered!!

So, what would you do with a feature like this? Remember you are going to see this message every day. I myself rather so nothing to be honest.
Not a clue. Just another toy in the car to play with.
Old 04-30-2006
Registered!!

pico is an unknown quantity at this point
Alot of cars are doing this now. My buddy has a CTS and changed the welcome screen from Hello to Scott and Nicole's CTS.
Old 04-30-2006
Registered!!

Does not sound very exciting but I guess everyone is different. I still like a car to be a car and not a mobile "home" so to speak.
Old 05-01-2006
Registered!!

Get a chance to take any pics yet? I can host them for ya if you need some webspace
Old 05-01-2006
Registered!!

Gotham Dark Knight is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool

Guys,

These are not gripes or complaints, merely observations during my first enjoyable 100 miles. Only had the car since Thursday . I might notice things others don't, only because I am really into cars and feel and hear just about anything, haha.

#1 Either the goodyear RS-A's are to hard or the ride is nice and firm and all bumps, holes and tar strips can be felt. I like this feel in a car by the way, was like my impreza. This also is with correct tire pressures. No No on honda for using these tires on a civic in my view.

#2 On bumps and or shallow patches in the road, there seems to be a REAR HOP or it's the tires and or stiffer suspension than past civics. Or could it be the car still needs to be broken in and the rear suspension is just very new. Maybe the rear of the car is very light and tends not to stay planted as cars with heavier asses.

#3 The highway feel is great and the car stays super composed. Again, on the highway, tons of tire noise with correct pressure. Goodyears, figures.

#4 Steering is great and very quick and responsive. Much quicker that my wife's 05 corolla LE. Steering wheel size in my view is great, I don't like big steering wheels, they just get in the way and belong on 50's automobiles.

#5 Eventhough the LX only comes with front disc rear drums, brakes work great and stop nicely. Steering wheel stays nice and straight during all breaking instances.

#6 Trunk space (for me at least) is very good and useable. I believe I can fit a full size spare and put the tools elsewhere for changing a flat.

NOTE: In every car of mine I carry a 2 ton floor jack which can be purchased at Walmart or any other large chain store in the car dept. They usually cost about $17 and make changing a flat a 10 minute chore, that in the wrong place, can save your life.

#7 Dashboard layout for speedo and tach, once used to them, are great and work as honda designed. I do not have any problems at nite with the speedo being to bright which I read on edmunds or kbb. Once the lights are turned on, it dims for you. Not sure why others complain about this?

#8 Radio is good for normal people, but myself, I will get the Metra dash kit and put an alpine radio in. I was never a big fan of OEM radios. Speakers are another story and I am to tired to talk about them.

#9 I have read about some people complaining about the "POKEY" transmission. Mine is fine and I really don't notice anything funny or odd about it. I really haven't had a chance to really get up and go but won't for at least 500 more miles.

#10 Good luck cleaning that windsheild. I might have to make a home made unit for cleaning both the dash and window as arm reaching just might not cut it.

#11 Paint looks nice and thick and hopefully resistant to scratching as my subaru impreza, a finger nail would just about go half way through the paint with basic pressure. Any subaru owner knows this.

#12 I do notice in reverse the same sound I used to have on my manual transmissions. I like it but others might not.

#13 I have had no creaks and or rattles from the car. I have read other places that some people do? Maybe over time they will occur. Let's see what happens.

#14 Engine has ample power for most occasions. Today I took my wife and mother in law around town with a ton of things in the trunk. No problems getting on the highway and going from reds. I will see when I go camping just how these 140 ponies do on really steep hills

#15 Oh yes, a slight pull the right when letting of the steering wheel on flat roads. This is not from a light but when cruising. Tires pressures are right but it's really not bad enough to warrant another alignment on such a new car. The tires suck anyway so I will replace them around 10,000 and re-align then.

I am sure I left out some things but I do LOVE this car and my wife, although she did not drive it yet, likes it so far just from being a passenger.

Please let me know what you guys think and or confirm and of the things I have posted. I am curious if anyone has some of the feelings posted above.

keRo
Wow...you need a gig reviewing cars for other sites. I read some of the other replies on the Goodyear tires...is that what you have?...Can someone esle verify that they come with RS-A eagles?...Just curious on the tire noise issue...
Old 05-01-2006
Registered!!

Pics - Kinda Dirty :(

Guys,

Snapped some quick photos at work, does not do the car justice but good enough for now. There is some much tree pollen on the car it kills me. Like a layer of yellow dust.

GOTHAM: yep, badyear tires. Tirerack.com confirms both goodyears and bridgestones are OEM tires. I don't like either and will replace these tires around 8000 miles or so. Road noise is the worst with these tires on concrete roads, pavement is not bad but at higher speeds they can get noisy and I am sure they are to hard for this car model. just my 2 though.

I plan to get to a nice open lot of beach and take some real nice pics.
Old 05-01-2006
Registered!!

Very awesome! Thanks so much! If you do take some more pics, could you give us a few shots of the interior too?
Old 05-01-2006
Registered!!

Originally Posted by daroga
Very awesome! Thanks so much! If you do take some more pics, could you give us a few shots of the interior too?
No problem, I should have gotten the shots a few days ago when she was spanky new. Damn birds always have to get my new cars, hahaha.
Old 05-01-2006
Registered!!

Does not sound very exciting but I guess everyone is different. I still like a car to be a car and not a mobile "home" so to speak.
I thought cars were supposed to be an extesion of your appendage. I guess thats why some have long hoods and others short. Long appendages only require short extesions and vice versa.
Old 05-01-2006
Registered!!

Originally Posted by pico
I thought cars were supposed to be an extesion of your appendage. I guess thats why some have long hoods and others short. Long appendages only require short extesions and vice versa.
Funny, hahaha. Now, really, I am one of those people who like a car to be a car and not a mobile command center for everything electronic. Just me though, I enjoy driving to drive, that's pretty much why.
Old 05-03-2006
Registered!!

NYrtist is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up

Congrats on your new ride kero.
You're on the island too?
I'm in Smithtown area. I totally hear your (like mine) disgust with the tree pollen; it's all over everything.
I wipe my car off twice a day and can't wait for this crap to stop blowing off the trees and onto my ride.
I also hear ya as far as not wanting to have a dashboard that resembles a mobile command center for everything electronic.
If I'm spending all my time switching switches and turning ***** etc. that's time I'm being distracted and not concentrating on enjoying the things I should be...like driving.
No, I don't drive like a nervous robot (hands positioned with a 10&2 death grip on the steering wheel,eyes forward while waiting in anticipation of the up-coming green light launch sequence) and yes, i do use my directionals to alert other drivers that I'll be turning up ahead (not 2' from the place I decide at the last minute to turn into)
My 2006 actually came standard with directionals...Amazing! I feel bad for those folks with Lexus's and Beemers etc. who's payments must be really insane; so insane in fact that they didn't have any money left over to purchase the directional package when they purchased their cars...selfish jerks!!!
Oh, "The Me Generation" is in full swing on Long island. I'm sure it is a global problem but that is enough off topic venting from this guy...sorry.
~ Enjoy the drive ~
Old 05-03-2006
Registered!!

Originally Posted by NYrtist
My 2006 actually came standard with directionals...Amazing! I feel bad for those folks with Lexus's and Beemers etc. who's payments must be really insane; so insane in fact that they didn't have any money left over to purchase the directional package when they purchased their cars...selfish jerks!!!
hehehe. My Mom and I have a standing joke if I'm riding with her, "That car is so nice, it's a shame it didn't come with turn signals!" Nothing annoys me more. I understand missing that a turn is coming up, but whren you're following someone for miles and they never use it, I just want to slap them.
Old 05-03-2006
Registered!!

Originally Posted by NYrtist
Congrats on your new ride kero.
You're on the island too?
I'm in Smithtown area. I totally hear your (like mine) disgust with the tree pollen; it's all over everything.
I wipe my car off twice a day and can't wait for this crap to stop blowing off the trees and onto my ride.
I also hear ya as far as not wanting to have a dashboard that resembles a mobile command center for everything electronic.
If I'm spending all my time switching switches and turning ***** etc. that's time I'm being distracted and not concentrating on enjoying the things I should be...like driving.
No, I don't drive like a nervous robot (hands positioned with a 10&2 death grip on the steering wheel,eyes forward while waiting in anticipation of the up-coming green light launch sequence) and yes, i do use my directionals to alert other drivers that I'll be turning up ahead (not 2' from the place I decide at the last minute to turn into)
Oh, "The Me Generation" is in full swing on Long island. I'm sure it is a global problem but that is enough off topic venting from this guy...sorry.
~ Enjoy the drive ~
A fellow LI'er cool. I went to college in Stony Brook, great area and nice people not like in nassau

Enjoy your car, maybe i'll see ya on the road!
Old 05-03-2006
Registered!!

Funny, hahaha. Now, really, I am one of those people who like a car to be a car and not a mobile command center for everything electronic. Just me though, I enjoy driving to drive, that's pretty much why.
That is cool. Gotta admire the driving purist. The more tech the better for me. With the traffic I have to endure at times I need something to keep me occupied so I dont "enjoy" the drive too much I start road raging. Im not one for televisions on the dash, but more gadgets and audio stuff is a big selling point in my opinion. It was the only thing that convinced me to get back into a Civic. If they only made bluetooth an option...Id never buy another car.
Old 05-03-2006
Registered!!

imported_pete is an unknown quantity at this point
If your driving in traffic then its good having entertainment. personally i just like listening to music though.

But yes i do think its a selling point. People think they are getting alot more for their money with gadgets even if they will never use them.
Old 05-04-2006
Registered!!

Call me nuts guys but while you need some entertainment in traffic, I like to listen to the car.

I guess this is because I grew up with parent who collect antique & muscle car so I was at car shows more than the beach.
Old 12-15-2006
Registered!!

plastics is an unknown quantity at this point
Goodyear RS-A tires

Well Guys,
Just took delivery of a new 2007 Civic EX Black 4 dr and found out it has Goodyear RS-A tires. I had them as factory install on an earlier car.
Contray to some of the comments, I love the RS-A tires. They grip like crazy and still is soft and compliant enough to give a decent ride.
The last car I had came with Goodyear Intergrety tires, and they had no grip and was a waste of time.

Plastics
Old 12-16-2006
Registered!!

The RS-A are not bad. Not the best tire but after 7000 miles, mine are holding up decent and for normal driving and the occasional stint on the highway at about 80, they work fine.

When I have to replace them though, I will go right to tire rack and maybe buy the Nero Zero's.
Old 12-17-2006
Registered!!

plastics is an unknown quantity at this point
Now that after I have the car for one week...

Well, now that I have had the car for about one week, I can make some general observations:

---I put in the radar detector on the driver visor. works great!

---I'll lower the pressure on the Goodyear RS-A to 30psi, to soften the ride.

---the factory stereo system is a bit weak, so I'll put in a set of Alpine R speakers and an Alpine Amp. should sound great!

---The gear selection slips into D3 much too easily.

---the steering wheel stereo volume and channel up/down buttons should be interchanged.

---the horn is tinny, so I'll replace those with Dodge Truck horns.

Otherwise, the car is great!....goes like a go-kart.

Plastics
Old 12-17-2006
Registered!!

Don't lower the tire pressures, not only will it give a little lower gas mileage, you will increase the rate of wear.

You would be shocked just how much affect 2psi can have.