General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

Sedan DIY hyperblinkers

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LiKEaFeRiO has a spectacular aura aboutLiKEaFeRiO has a spectacular aura aboutLiKEaFeRiO has a spectacular aura about
Sedan DIY hyperblinkers

I searched for the DIY hyperblinkers for the sedans and I couldnt find any. If there was one...sorry.
Well anyways, while reading through some of the threads someone mentioned that the sedan turn signal relay is similar to older gen civics. Well, I found a DIY for older civics and the 2k1 sedans have the same relays. So here is the link JDM Fan. Good luck~
If this was already posted, I couldnt find it sorry.
Old 05-14-2002
Registered!!

LiKEaFeRiO has a spectacular aura aboutLiKEaFeRiO has a spectacular aura aboutLiKEaFeRiO has a spectacular aura about
I followed the instructions as shown and replaced the resistor with 47k. It blinks twice as fast and works well.
Old 05-14-2002
Registered!!

netcbc is an unknown quantity at this point
how hard was it to do? i actually went and bought a hyperblinker, i guess that was retarded
Old 05-15-2002
Registered!!

PnOiCiViC is an unknown quantity at this point
DiD this work foreals?? If so how is it?? Where could I find these Resistors? How much? THaNks..Put a DIY on how YOU Did it Yourself..heh Payce
Old 05-15-2002
Registered!!

Yes, it does work! It was very easy to do. I got the resistors from Radio Shack. 47K in a 5 pack for $0.99.
Only other materials you need is a soldering gun and a small amount of soldering wire. I also recommend getting some help from a friend.

Follow the instructions exactly as given from the link DIY Hyperblinker. The sedans relay is exactly the same as the one shown.

Old 05-15-2002
Registered!!

Heres the steps on how to do it yourself. I highly recommend getting help from a friend or else you might get burned or burn off something you shouldn't have. It sounds stupid but the soldering gun can get HOT!!! If you cant understand I'm sorry...its my first diy Im writing.

1. Take out the turn signal relay from the fuze box under the steering wheel. It is literally the biggest black object you see. If you dont understand, please search for "hyperblinker" and see the diy for the coupe. It has pictures to help you get it out.

2. Open the relay. The resistor circled on the attached pic is what you will be working with. Heat up the soldering iron. Hold the relay with one hand. Have a friend use a plier and pull the resistor out as you melt the metal from the other side. DO NOT just pull it off or rip it off. You can if you want, but if you do there will not be holes for you to slip in the new resistors on the relay. *The holes are where the old resistor used to be connected.*

3. Slip in the new resistor where the old one was.

4. Use the soldering wire to solder the new resistor into place.

5. Put back the cover on the relay and back into the fuze box.

6. Test it out and enjoy!

Mine worked the first try...and this is the first time I have made a homemade hyperblinker and it only cost me $0.99+tax!!!

If you guys have any question I'd be glad to help. I'd say the difficult is maybe easier than clearing your headlights.

Attachments:
[IMG]/forums/themes/orbitz/paperclip.gif[/IMG] resistor.jpg (30 Kb)
Old 05-15-2002
Registered!!

Exbauer is an unknown quantity at this point
I am glad somebody did it oe the sedan. I tried awhile back, but no luck. I probably used too high of a resistor. I will have a go at it this weekend.
Old 05-15-2002
Registered!!

ph0ng is an unknown quantity at this point
I was the dude who said the sedan was the same as the older gen civics... Glad to see everything worked out right!

I had been working w/ another member (whosyodaddy85) on his and we eventually gave up because it was too dark out to work.

whosyodaddy85 -- Told you it would of worked

Old 05-17-2002
Registered!!

Exbauer is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks for the DIY. I took like 2 mins to do and it works perfect. I also went with the 47k but tried the 33k and that was too fast.
Old 09-29-2003
Registered!!

mermat63 is an unknown quantity at this point
I have a 2001 coupe and I pulled out my turn signal relay and it's the one you have pictured for the sedan. I went to a Honda dealership and they typed the relay into the computer and two came up. I'm guessing the one I have and the other one in the DYI menu. Now I was wondering if both would work in any civic? Or if they need replaced would you have to order the same one that you already had in? If any one knows the answer please let me know.
Thanks.
Old 09-29-2003
Registered!!

cdmx will become famous soon enoughcdmx will become famous soon enough
I DO NOT LIKE MINE HYPERBLINKING...
i bought leds and it hyperblinks
Old 09-29-2003
Yes, it's an Acura EL

TeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to all
Mine do that as well (even with hazards on). I kinda like it - different (well, here in T-Dot at least)...
Old 09-29-2003
Registered!!

7thGenerasianCivic is just really nice7thGenerasianCivic is just really nice7thGenerasianCivic is just really nice7thGenerasianCivic is just really nice
Anything for the poor coupes out there? I want hyperblink too.
Old 09-30-2003
=) Im Bi-Sexual <3

Tojo is an unknown quantity at this point
how do u take out the relay?
Old 10-01-2003
Registered!!

The coupes come with a different relay than the sedans.
The sedans have the same relay as older Civics.

There is a DIY for the coupes. I think it was in the DIY section of the site, well it was before we switched tp the new site format. =) I made this one because the sedans were different. The resistance levels in the sedan and coupe relays are different. Find out what the resistance in the coupes are and then buy some resistors from Radioshack. Half the resistance of the original gives you a 2X blinker and so on...

The relay is under your steering wheel in the same area as your fuses. Its looks like a black box. The attached pic is with the cover off.

BTW, hyperblinkers get annoying!!!

Last edited by LiKEaFeRiO; 10-01-2003 at 05:09 AM.
Old 10-01-2003
Ask me about your mom.

tekgnosis has a spectacular aura abouttekgnosis has a spectacular aura abouttekgnosis has a spectacular aura about
LiKEaFeRiO: d00d, the pic wasn't attached. I'm interested in switching my sedans relay with one from a coupe...can you send me the pic?

I have LED's, and they blink WAY too fast...yet in my buddy's coupe, they blink normal.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated, because YES, hyperblinkers get REALLY annoying!!!!!!
Old 10-01-2003
Yes, it's an Acura EL

TeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to all
Depending how long I'm sitting at a left turn with the blinker on, the click-click DOES get annoying. I just turn up the stereo till i can't hear it anymore.
Old 10-01-2003
Registered!!

7thGenerasianCivic is just really nice7thGenerasianCivic is just really nice7thGenerasianCivic is just really nice7thGenerasianCivic is just really nice
just dont turn you signals on at all then. ahahah
Old 10-01-2003
Civicforums Junkie

FALKEN is a glorious beacon of lightFALKEN is a glorious beacon of lightFALKEN is a glorious beacon of lightFALKEN is a glorious beacon of lightFALKEN is a glorious beacon of lightFALKEN is a glorious beacon of light
you could also just snip off one of the leads on the 7443 bulb (21w)...its very easy and if you dont like it anymore, just replace with a new set...ive done it for a bunch of us in arizona
Old 10-01-2003
Registered!!

The pic is attached.
Scroll up to the instructions post and there is a attachment you can click on.
Old 10-06-2003
Ask me about your mom.

tekgnosis has a spectacular aura abouttekgnosis has a spectacular aura abouttekgnosis has a spectacular aura about
sorry to dig this up again.

I have LED's, and completely understand how to change the resistor (great instructions LiKEaFeRiO!)

but...my question is: I have a sedan, and want to NOT have hyperblinkers...therefore I think I should use the same resistance as in the coupe. What is the size of the resistor in the coupe (what is the resistance)?

any help would be sweet...gonna hit up "Radio Shack" on the way home I think
Old 10-06-2003
Registered!!

Im not sure about the resistance level of the coupe, but the DIY tells you to use something from 100 -150k ohms. I'm guessing that makes it blink 2x as fast. So maybe its 300k ohm in a coupe? I'm not sure.

47k ohm in my sedan makes it blink about 2x. So that would mean ~104k ohm is the stock resistor level.

Why not go out and buy a 208k ohm resistor if your leds are making your lights blink 2x as fast? Higher or lower depending on your application. Thought this would be easier.
Old 10-06-2003
Ask me about your mom.

hrm, kewl, good idea

so you're saying 104K ohm is the stock (approx?). That's good to know.

Actually, I think my blinkers are blinking about 4x as fast

it really sucks.

I was too lazy to stop on the way home from work tonight. I guess I'll stop on my way to work tomorrow

Thanks LiKEaFeRiO!
Old 07-19-2004
Registered!!

HondaGuy7 is an unknown quantity at this point
I have a coupe and that is the relay that I have in mine
Old 07-19-2004
Registered!!

They must have changed relays for 2004 model coupes?