General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

door won't open at all

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
kfam5 is an unknown quantity at this point
door won't open at all

I am unable to open the driver side door from the interior or exterior.

I sure would appreciate any help.

My 97 Civic EX 2 door had 2 issues, a broken exterior handle, and the door would fly open randomly - noticeably when the window was down.

I replaced the plastic retaining clip on the outer handle rod, and the handle works now. But, the door wouldn't latch. So I fiddled with the latch with the door open, and now the door remains permanently closed.

Luckily for me, the door panel was off, so I can see the guts. When I pull on the lever from the lock/unlock button to the latch, I can see and hear the power lock taking over and keeping it locked. So, I disconnected the power lock harness. I can't get it to move fully into the unlock position, and therefore, the driver door remains closed from the inside or out.

Thanks for your help.
Old 10-04-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: door won't open at all

did you try spraying silicone lube in both sides of the latch assembly? alot of times they just get stuck.
Old 10-04-2009
Registered!!

no I have not sprayed anything on the latch. I don't have silicone spray. Will WD40 accomplish the same thing? Also, I only have access from inside the door panel. Should I just spray everything I see?
Old 10-04-2009
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

no you need the silicone spray which is a lubricant. the same thing happened to a customer that came in and her door would not close no matter how hard she slammed. we sprayed a ton of silicone in the latch and kept jiggling it in and out til the whole mechanism was coated. then it worked like normal. yours seems more complicated because you need to get the door open before spraying and playing is possible.
Old 10-04-2009
Premium Member

you want to spray the mechanism in the door all over as much as you can while playing with the moving parts. and also put some on the car body latch.
Old 10-05-2009
Registered!!

thanks. I'll buy some silicone today and give it a try.
Old 10-05-2009
Registered!!

No change at all after spraying everything I could see and reach. It seems as tho the door lock won't move to the unlock position. On the functioning passenger side, there is a definite, firm feel and sound when I move the button from lock to unlock. I don't get that on the broken side. I have pulled as hard as I dare on the rod going to the latch from the lock button. Still nothing.
thanks.
Old 10-06-2009
Registered!!

I was wondering if I should drill out the rivets of the latch to get the door open and then replace the latch.

Is there any other way to open the door?
Old 10-06-2009
Premium Member

you cant reach in and pull something from the inside?
Old 10-07-2009
Registered!!

I've pulled on the rods that are exposed with the door panel off, with alot of force. There's no change. I've jiggled the handles - both in and out while pulling on the rod and spraying with silicone too. The door won't budge.
thanks.
Old 07-07-2010
Registered!!

98_civic_user is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kfam5
I've pulled on the rods that are exposed with the door panel off, with alot of force. There's no change. I've jiggled the handles - both in and out while pulling on the rod and spraying with silicone too. The door won't budge.
thanks.
Did this ever get resolved? How did you do it? I am having similar problem.