General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

driver's seat rocking (bushings)

Old 07-25-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
monkeydave is an unknown quantity at this point
driver's seat rocking (bushings)

can you just replace the 6 bushings to fix this problem? how come you have to replace the nuts, spacers and washers too as these are made of steel and dont wear as fast as the aluminum bushings.

does the washers with the square centre deform or something?

thanks for your help in advance
Old 07-25-2009
Registered!!

Cleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of light
Re: driver's seat rocking (bushings)

Originally Posted by monkeydave
can you just replace the 6 bushings to fix this problem? how come you have to replace the nuts, spacers and washers too as these are made of steel and dont wear as fast as the aluminum bushings.

does the washers with the square centre deform or something?

thanks for your help in advance
Are you really fat? If you don't mind my asking...
Old 07-26-2009
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light

I am about 150lbs and I have this problem as well.. there is A DIY on here somewhere that tells you how to replace the bushings, however I never done it.
Old 07-26-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

dont bother. i spent a whole day doing that stupid diy (i also fixed a stripped seat bolt too so not all bad), and a week later the rocking came back. its due to the seat height adjustment thats why only the EX seats have the problem. my stock bushings were fine but i replaced em anyway and tightened all the bolts up, well it was great at first no rocking, then after i sat on them 10 times it was just as bad as before. i think the only solution is to have the height adjustment mechanism welded so it doesnt work anymore (after you set your preferred height). or just buy aftermarket seats.
Old 07-26-2009
Registered!!

Originally Posted by gearbox
dont bother. i spent a whole day doing that stupid diy (i also fixed a stripped seat bolt too so not all bad), and a week later the rocking came back. its due to the seat height adjustment thats why only the EX seats have the problem. my stock bushings were fine but i replaced em anyway and tightened all the bolts up, well it was great at first no rocking, then after i sat on them 10 times it was just as bad as before. i think the only solution is to have the height adjustment mechanism welded so it doesnt work anymore (after you set your preferred height). or just buy aftermarket seats.
hmmm i might leave it now i am in too minds or is it i am lazy lol
Old 07-26-2009
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

LX models are affected as well.
Old 07-26-2009
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

i wonder how? when i had the seat apart, it seemed like the only thing that could cause rocking is the height adjustment mechanism. sucks these seats are such poor quality. theyre not even that comfortable either.
Old 07-26-2009
Premium Member

i wonder how? when i had the seat apart, it seemed like the only thing that could cause rocking is the height adjustment mechanism. sucks these seats are such poor quality. theyre not even that comfortable either.
Old 07-26-2009
Registered!!

Cleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by gearbox
That's ridiculous. Seems EX owners get screwed a lot of the time. If you pay attention to the 6th gens, you'll see that the rear shocks are limp on them a lot of the time. It looks like some obese person is riding in the back, but it's just the two back shocks that are out. Very common. Yet you don't find that with the DX/LX. I've got 138k on my originals and yet no problems. Rides just fine. And then the EX owners have to deal with the silly seat design, whereas the DX/LX is one color which looks better.
Old 07-26-2009
Premium Member

yeah who wants weird diamonds and squares on a seat fabric lol
Old 07-27-2009
Registered!!

ADMCivic is an unknown quantity at this point

I fixed 5 of 6 of the bushings, 2 on them were like paper when I took them out, it just fell apart. I did not use new nuts but i also replaced the spacers. It took about an hour or so to do. If it really bothers you its worth the fix but its not cheap, about $50 CDN at the stealership for the parts.

Yea the EX seats are kinda stupid with the design :S w.e
Old 07-28-2009
Registered!!

civicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond repute

someone told me its the actual seat rail that sucks. thats why it rocks on all civics. not just the EX with height adjustment.
Old 07-28-2009
Registered!!

gilligan01 is an unknown quantity at this point

I had that problem twice, once while under warranty, and right after the first year, dealer did for free because there was a technical bulletin on that problem. Mine is a 2005 LX SE
Old 07-28-2009
Registered!!

Devani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond repute

I had mine replaced twice as well...i weigh 170lbs and it was also EX...
with my 09 SI, radio display was peeling and radio was replaced with new one....
Old 07-28-2009
Premium Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang

I have an LX and never had this problem... although I have different problems with mine. In the summer, I sweat like crazy in them.. Gross I know, but when I wiggle around I feel like I hear a sheet of plastic under the fabric which would totally explain it! Anyone else hear the sound in their seats that I'm talking about?
Old 07-28-2009
Premium Member

my seats make all sorts of squeaky creaking noises inside from the fabric when i move around
Old 07-28-2009
Premium Member

TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang

Yeah... I was looking for RSX seats for a while.. but then I started looking for s2000 seats that were priced around 12k that came with a free car
Old 07-28-2009
Registered!!

Originally Posted by TRIZ
Yeah... I was looking for RSX seats for a while.. but then I started looking for s2000 seats that were priced around 12k that came with a free car
That's an interesting way of putting it.
Old 07-28-2009
Premium Member

lol. i gave up on ep3/rsx seats when i learned how heavy they are, almost 3x heavier than the civic seats. and the leathers weigh a ton. ill prolly just go back to the corbeau a4 i used to have at 25 lbs.
Old 07-29-2009
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

Why not just get Yugo seats? They are direct bolt on and look great. Mind you, they only require 1 out of the 4 bolts. Cheap and a great upgrade.

Name:  seat11.jpg
Views: 2366
Size:  52.9 KB
Old 07-29-2009
Registered!!

civicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond repute

^^great upgrade? looks like a downgrade to me. . lol
Old 07-29-2009
Registered!!

batman900 will become famous soon enough

I have the rocking bad as well, even makes a poping sound when it does it, however I adjusted my seat all the way down using the adjustment wheel on the side and now the rocking is almost not even noticeable and less extreme.

Just a tip.
Old 07-29-2009
Premium Member

i have mine on lowest setting too cause i like riding low haha. still rocks like crazy tho
Old 07-29-2009
Registered!!

Originally Posted by batman900
I have the rocking bad as well, even makes a poping sound when it does it, however I adjusted my seat all the way down using the adjustment wheel on the side and now the rocking is almost not even noticeable and less extreme.

Just a tip.
mine is the opposite, i have always used mine at the lowest setting and by putting it to the top setting there is no movement, i still might chage the bushings though as it bugs me and on the top setting sucks for driving position
Old 07-29-2009
Premium Member

the hi position makes me feel like im driving a truck
Old 07-31-2009
Premium Member

Swap in LX seats?
Old 07-31-2009
Premium Member

they have different patterns so wont match the rear seats. and nobody is selling them