General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

Radiator Replacement Issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
peters is an unknown quantity at this point
Radiator Replacement Issues

I own a 1997 Honda Civic DX manual. The rad was punctured and I've purchased a new aftermarket one from 2 seperate aftermarket dealers but both have shown up with two extra hose attatchments at the bottom of the rad.

I imagine they are for an oil cooler or even a transmission cooler with the automatic drive. I'm concerned that if it is an oil cooler, then I will end up over heating with only using a portion of a small rad for cooling and leaving the rest empty. The dealers say it is the right part but I'm having a hard time believing it.

Anyone know what the hose attatchments are for or have an opinion of whether or not it'll work?

Cheers.
Old 05-26-2009
Jap-Euro Fusion
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
Re: Radiator Replacement Issues

its the tranny cooler for automatics. If you have a manual, then I'd just put a plug over each fitting, and run the radiator.
Its easier to make one part number to replace both cars, than make a manual version and an auto version.
Old 05-26-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bakertime is a jewel in the roughbakertime is a jewel in the roughbakertime is a jewel in the rough
Re: Radiator Replacement Issues

Same thing happened to me last summer when I replaced mine. I thought they sent me the wrong part, but indeed it's the same part for manuals and autos. I was going to plug it, but someone at NAPA said that I didn't even need to worry about it. Have been running it since with no issues at all!