General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

diy home made tow hook?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2009
You Stay Classy, San Diego

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
jamis33 is just really nicejamis33 is just really nicejamis33 is just really nicejamis33 is just really nice
diy home made tow hook?

hey has anyone ever made a tow hook of their own? I recently joined the formula sae race team at my university and we make all kinds of super cool stuff and i was wondering if its possible to make my own tow hook. I think they look really really cool but even the cheapest ones are like $80. I am getting better at 3d modeling and autocad i just dont know like the sizing and stuff for how big the tow hook should be. I dont think it would even need to be cnc'd i could prolly get it made by plasma cutting or water jet or whatever its called. Any thoughts?
Old 04-04-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
KTciv_03 can only hope to improve
Re: diy home made tow hook?

shouldnt be too hard at all. i could totally see it being done with the right equipment.
Old 04-04-2009

jamis33 is just really nicejamis33 is just really nicejamis33 is just really nicejamis33 is just really nice

thats what im thinkin. actualy on ebay they have a really good picture and it gives dimensions. It says its 10.5" x 4.5" in the loop. Using this i can get a rough idea of what it looks like. Also i could prolly use a picture to figure out all other angles and side lengths. One giant math puzzle. The beauty is if I can get the 3-d modelling of one done i can find a place that will make multiple copies of them and I could prolly sell them much cheaper than anywhere else. Im trying to figure out what design i like best tho. maybe i can even make something new all on its own?
Old 04-04-2009
Registered!!

KTciv_03 can only hope to improve

thatd be awesome if you made a bunch. i know id definately be interested in one. i have the hook up and a powder coat shop as well. what material do you plan on using?
Old 04-04-2009
Registered!!

youngjosh12 is an unknown quantity at this point

That might be cool, but im not sure that a plasma cutter would work the greatest, it wouldnt be round and would have sharp edges depending on what you had the material thickness set to (im an engineering student as well, we gots lots of fun stuff) And idk how well CNC would work, you'd have to set up alot of offsets and stuff, but it would be possible. I guess probably the plasma cutter would work, just have them grind off the edges good to make it not sharp and then get it painted! that'd be tight, i might do that wehn i get off spring break! haha
Old 04-04-2009

awesome. ya im thinking either aluminum or stainless plasma cutter is last resort. if i only make 1 i'll plasma cut it cuz i can do it myself and cost will be negligible. if i send it off to be done i dont care how they do it. not my responsibility lol. what do you use for 3d modelling? at my university we use nx5 so im thinkin im gonna make it up in nx5 and send off the models if i decide i wanna get a few made. If not i'll prolly just draw it up by hand and plasma cut it next time im screwin around in the shop. how thick should i make it? i was thinking 1/4" should be more than thick enough. no more than 3/8