General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

ARE STAINLESS STEEL BRAKE LINES BAD for ABS???

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2009
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future
Exclamation ARE STAINLESS STEEL BRAKE LINES BAD for ABS???

according to me. no... if you buy from a good brand, like russell..etc (no eGAY crap) i have only heard of wonderful good things about them.

i asked this because i got some Russell for my GF's 2000 honda accord EX (and myself as well, its coming in the mail. they are the "street legal DOT approved ones, not the COMPETITION ones)...

she later asked her friend at church (who is a graduate from UTI and is an ex-toyota mechanic, a ricer, swapped and boosted k20 member, integra) says that they will compromise the ABS system of her car and all cars with ABS in general when putting on STAINLESS STEEL BRAKE LINES.

here is a direct text he sent her:

"steel lines are good but they will mess with your abs system..like because of the greater braking power the abs computer wont react the same and you'll have the chance of locking up the wheels in slippery conditions. which doenst matter to racers and such but you mite want your abs. mine is disabled. hahha...mmm.. it wont eliminate abs completely.. i dont think...well.. abs wont work as well as they were designed to but will work to an extent depending on road conditions"

now, i want to know if this is some BS he pulled out of his *** or what?

please, i want some insights on this from PEOPLE WHO KNOW WHAT THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT, and not just some "i think... or in my opinion..."

(sorry if i come off hard, i just need some real legit facts and answers, and im sure a lot of you want to as well)

thx a bunch.

james

Last edited by sl33pyriceboi; 02-09-2009 at 02:50 AM.
Old 02-09-2009

sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future
Re: ARE STAINLESS STEEL BRAKE LINES BAD for ABS???

btw, i cant see how this would hinder a car's braking if the DOT (department of transportation) has approved this item

like for example they meet DOT requirements of FMVSS-571.106 (and 50 state street legal)
Old 02-09-2009

oh and yes, i have SEARCHED google, and as well as forums after forums

the only bad thing ive found was that cheap ebay stainless steel are cheaply made and they dont flex very well. (thus i bought russell)

Last edited by sl33pyriceboi; 02-09-2009 at 03:00 AM.
Old 02-09-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
pacotaco is an unknown quantity at this point

the only way i can see that it messes up the abs is by the lines are stiffer and i think the standard abs is programed to work well with line strech when it pumps the expanding line so it would probably be alot stronger abs. but realy who needs abs its useless unless its a truck. nyways again it would cause the lines to less expand their for causing the abs to more "strong" i guess
Old 02-09-2009
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
kcari is a name known to allkcari is a name known to allkcari is a name known to allkcari is a name known to allkcari is a name known to allkcari is a name known to allkcari is a name known to all

do i know your gf?
Old 02-09-2009
Registered!!

civicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond repute

i would have left a comment but you seem to not want one. lol
Old 02-09-2009
Registered!!

TemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to all

i think the best person to ask is PM boiler maker and posting this in the brakes forums. I think the text doesn't make sense on the greater braking power messing up the abs.

If you went by that logic, wouldn't larger brake rotors and better brake pads mess up the abs as well?

Last edited by TemjinX2; 02-09-2009 at 10:42 AM.
Old 02-09-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

the abs uses SENSORS to figure out when to engage. they will see the "higher pressure" and adjust accordingly. if anything, the rubber hoses are making the abs system work WORSE than how it should be. youre just fixing a design flaw by adding stainless lines. this is just another case of honda choosing the "overall value" material called rubber. rubber stretches and expands and breaks. while its good enough to get the job done, more or less, it wears out and expands over time. this isnt really ideal for things like bushings, brake lines, etc.

here read this faq i just found. basically adding stainless lines will just cause a faster braking response, making the pedal a bit firmer instead of mushy.

http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp...teel_Q&A.shtml

"What impacts will SS lines have on my vehicle's P-T (pressure vs. torque) relationship?

None. Because brake lines and hoses do not affect the torque generated at the wheel end, the P-T relationship remains unchanged when SS lines are installed. Only changes to a vehicle's caliper, rotor, or brake pad coefficient of friction will impact the P-T relationship."

"However, because the P-T relationship remains unchanged with SS lines, the impact to ABS, TCS, and other brake control systems is typically negligible."

Last edited by gearbox; 02-09-2009 at 10:47 AM.
Old 02-09-2009

Originally Posted by civicsrcool
i would have left a comment but you seem to not want one. lol
hahahha no no no i dont mean to come off like that... input is fine...i guess i was just so frustrated last night about that BS of what he said...sorry
Old 02-09-2009

Originally Posted by gearbox
the abs uses SENSORS to figure out when to engage. they will see the "higher pressure" and adjust accordingly. if anything, the rubber hoses are making the abs system work WORSE than how it should be. youre just fixing a design flaw by adding stainless lines. this is just another case of honda choosing the "overall value" material called rubber. rubber stretches and expands and breaks. while its good enough to get the job done, more or less, it wears out and expands over time. this isnt really ideal for things like bushings, brake lines, etc.

here read this faq i just found. basically adding stainless lines will just cause a faster braking response, making the pedal a bit firmer instead of mushy.

http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp...teel_Q&A.shtml

"What impacts will SS lines have on my vehicle's P-T (pressure vs. torque) relationship?

None. Because brake lines and hoses do not affect the torque generated at the wheel end, the P-T relationship remains unchanged when SS lines are installed. Only changes to a vehicle's caliper, rotor, or brake pad coefficient of friction will impact the P-T relationship."

"However, because the P-T relationship remains unchanged with SS lines, the impact to ABS, TCS, and other brake control systems is typically negligible."
yes =] thank you.
Old 02-09-2009
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

alot of people just talk to say something. most of the time they have no idea wtf is going on lol
Old 02-09-2009

^x2 yea i figured.....just kinda disapointed he said that....cuz he isnt exactly a everyday dumb mech...
Old 02-09-2009
Registered!!

kcari is a name known to allkcari is a name known to allkcari is a name known to allkcari is a name known to allkcari is a name known to allkcari is a name known to allkcari is a name known to all

hes trying to take your girl
Old 02-09-2009

Originally Posted by kcari
hes trying to take your girl
funny thing. he was her eX actually...lol i tell her she only dates ricers...ahahhah
Old 02-09-2009
Registered!!

TemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by sl33pyriceboi
funny thing. he was her eX actually...lol i tell her she only dates ricers...ahahhah
lol...then what does that make you?
Old 02-09-2009
Registered!!

who is she
Old 02-09-2009
Jap-Euro Fusion

Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold

I dont buy it.
The abs sensor measures the rotation of the hub. It counts the number of rotations per a given amount of time. The computer compares the count from all 4 wheels and its looking for a discrepancy. For example, if the brakes are applied and the front wheels are not rotating, and the rears are rotating at 100 revs per minute, then it'll trip the ABS. The threshold difference in rotations is usually something preprogrammed into the system, some cars will trip ABS more easily (and frequenly) than others. The ABS system (at least in this car) could care less what the line pressure is (in cars with electronic brake force distribution, it may make a difference, but it would depend on how the system is programmed and what it measures to determine the distribution proportions). Obviously nothing happens when the brakes arent applied.
Also, if you use stainless lines, the pressure is NOT increased. The master cylinder still pushes just as hard... with less expansion in the lines, there is less pressure loss along the way. This has absolutely no effect on the ABS system, since all it does is apply and remove the pressure in the line (thats the pulsation) without input from your right foot.
As is the usual with brakes.... the single most important thing in braking response is the tire. The better the tire, the harder you can brake without causing lockup.
Old 02-09-2009

Originally Posted by TemjinX2
lol...then what does that make you?
i never said i wasnt a ricer
Old 02-09-2009
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Boilermaker1
I dont buy it.
The abs sensor measures the rotation of the hub. It counts the number of rotations per a given amount of time. The computer compares the count from all 4 wheels and its looking for a discrepancy. For example, if the brakes are applied and the front wheels are not rotating, and the rears are rotating at 100 revs per minute, then it'll trip the ABS. The threshold difference in rotations is usually something preprogrammed into the system, some cars will trip ABS more easily (and frequenly) than others. The ABS system (at least in this car) could care less what the line pressure is (in cars with electronic brake force distribution, it may make a difference, but it would depend on how the system is programmed and what it measures to determine the distribution proportions). Obviously nothing happens when the brakes arent applied.
Also, if you use stainless lines, the pressure is NOT increased. The master cylinder still pushes just as hard... with less expansion in the lines, there is less pressure loss along the way. This has absolutely no effect on the ABS system, since all it does is apply and remove the pressure in the line (thats the pulsation) without input from your right foot.
As is the usual with brakes.... the single most important thing in braking response is the tire. The better the tire, the harder you can brake without causing lockup.

great info...always good to hear from the veteran members.
Old 02-09-2009

thankx boilermarker1! i can rest in peace now.....and not being so agitated about this mech's stupidity.
Old 02-09-2009
Premium Member

dopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond repute

Dude Gear I gotta say one thing about you constantly saying that Honda takes the cheap way out... Nearly EVERY mass produced car uses rubber brake lines and bushings. Honestly there is nothing wrong with rubber (except for compliance bushings). Ive seen an 83 Toyota Celica and the factory rubber brake lines where still in decent condition. So dont tell me that they are constantly going cheap. Rubber lines work and do last.
Old 02-09-2009
Premium Member

i guess it came out wrong then. what i meant is that usually many car manufacturers, including honda, use "medium grade parts" (i never said cheap) to keep the overall cost of the car down. it wouldnt make any sense to use the best materials for an economy car nor would i want them to, otherwise it wouldnt be affordable. im just pointing out that in alot of cases, there is a better performing material/part out there. otherwise you would have no aftermarket.
Old 02-09-2009
Premium Member

dopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds a lot more like how I think lol. Im all about upgrading performance but that doesnt mean stock parts are bad.
Old 02-09-2009
Registered!!

stop ignoring questions about your gf
Old 02-09-2009

stop ignoring questions about your gf
what question about my gf?
Old 02-09-2009
Registered!!

you know i probably know her
Old 02-09-2009

do u? she goes to cal poly, and she lives in el monte/temple city area...her name is deborah.... lol
Old 02-10-2009
Autocross Junky

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute

SS brake lines, like every one else has told you, will not influence the operation of an ABS system. But not because of what you've been told.

ABS systems don't watch line pressure, it donesn't watch caliper pressure or clamp load, it doesn't even keep track of Master cylinder pressure or brake pedal pressure...

It just watches wheel speeds.

And when it "sees" one of the wheels slowing at a greater rate then the others and exceeding its set maximum G deceleration... then it knows somethings wrong and acts.

http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp...rakekits.shtml

Backin up boilermaker here
Old 02-10-2009
Registered!!

lol why are you trying to stalk her?
Old 02-11-2009

Originally Posted by TemjinX2
lol why are you trying to stalk her?
because he's a cyclonstalker (sp)

Quick Reply: ARE STAINLESS STEEL BRAKE LINES BAD for ABS???