General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

05 LX Removing Front HUB, stuck with Lower arm and Hub. cant separate.

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hardboil is an unknown quantity at this point
05 LX Removing Front HUB, stuck with Lower arm and Hub. cant separate.

Hi you all.

Im here at home taking out the Right Front HUB to replace the wheel bearing inside it. So i have everything unscrewed even the drive shaft bar out, it is all hanging so on the bottom there the clip and bolt is out, but still cant separate the HUB from the Lower arm

Thats the only piece i need to pull out but how?

Last edited by hardboil; 02-03-2009 at 03:11 PM.
Old 02-03-2009
Registered!!

Re: 05 LX Removing Front HUB, Bottom is stuck cant pull out. Quick solution before su

Let me try explain again just in case, The HUB on the top have 2 screw with bolts and on the bottom there is 1 bolt with clip holding it with the lower arm.

The bottom clip & bolt is already out, but i cant separate it from the lower arm

Last edited by hardboil; 02-03-2009 at 03:03 PM.
Old 02-03-2009
Registered!!
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
lordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 05 LX Removing Front HUB, stuck with Lower arm and Hub. cant separate.

you need a ball joint separator.

Go to Autozone and borrow one.
Old 02-03-2009
Registered!!

You rock, thanks alot
Old 02-03-2009
Registered!!

lordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond repute

No problem. Good luck.
Old 02-03-2009
ASE Certified Master Tech (A1-A8)

skipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to all

if that doesnt work, get a good hammer. and im not being sarcastic either.
Old 02-03-2009
Banned

greeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to behold

u need a bfh
Old 02-03-2009
Registered!!

bakertime is a jewel in the roughbakertime is a jewel in the roughbakertime is a jewel in the rough

If you use a hammer, try putting the nut back on until it's flush with the bottom of the bolt...that way it won't mess up the threads. Giving the lower arm a good hit with the hammer isn't a bad idea either to try to break the seal.

If you can though, get the ball joint separator. If your ball joints need replacing soon, you can also use a pickle fork + pipe and use it to pry it out. This WILL tear the boots, so be prepared to replace them while you have the knuckle off the car. You may want to consider this anyway if you haven't done it already because it would save doing twice the labor.
Old 02-03-2009
Registered!!

Use the hammer only if the separator doesn't work. You kind of play with fire if you use a hammer because if threads get screwed up you get stuck replacing ball joints. Use the nut like bakertime said.
Old 02-07-2009
Registered!!

I got it out today, placed a piece of wood under the Joint threads straight to the floor and i hit the top of the lower arm with a hammer and it came out easily, Wasnt too hard just technical skills needed hehh.

So i got the HUB out and went to a local autopart for pressing and i was told the Bearing i bought online on ebay was not the same model, so they sold me another Made in china Bearing for $33 + $15 to press it in, so i install it all back.

The big problem is gone but I'm not satisfied, still hearing another little noise and i think is coming from the back of the car and still feels a little heavy like something holding back??

Does BENT DISC Brakes hold the car back ? maybe this is part of the problem

another thing at 70mph or so when i hit the brakes it tremble alot and feels like not braking at all. im moving at slower speeds for now
Old 02-07-2009
My Pony Princess is the inspiration for my ride.

speedfoos is an unknown quantity at this point

Never ever hit the ball joint bolt with a hammer. If you whack the side of it, it will pop right out. That's how I separate ball joints every time. There is no reason to hit the threaded part ever.

As far as the brakes go, are you running rear drum or rear disc?
Old 02-09-2009
Registered!!

Rear drums,

I went out yesterday and after 20minutes or so the car feel heavy and the steering also was a little strange, i think the front brake disc got hot because of the bent disc plate ?

Does the front brake disc have repair? can you recommend me a good pair of front brake or discs if needed?thanks
Old 02-10-2009
Registered!!

wallydude03 will become famous soon enough

One time my right front disc overheated and it got warped, so whenever i hit the brakes my right brake would make thumping sounds and at high speeds it even shook the car. I fixed this problem by buying a new disc from advance. Huge difference
Old 02-10-2009
Registered!!

ABS929CBRRR is an unknown quantity at this point

when we lowered my car the stuff was soo tight we couldnt get it to budge....i had a friend do it at his shop and he even had a hard time using the correct tools to get it appart.
Old 02-10-2009
Registered!!

civicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond repute

i didnt want to read the whole thread lol.. but if it still hasnt come off a good ball peen hammer works great. or a sledgehammer. thats how i get mine off no joke. in addition to that a little crow bar action goes a long way as well.