General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

For those with KPRO D17 - Cold Cranking

Old 02-23-2009
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
bomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: For those with KPRO D17 - Cold Cranking

I think I may have discovered a solution to cold starting with k-pro but have yet had a chance to test.

The theory is when I go out it doesn't start I reload the calibration and it starts right I think it is essentially errasing the memory of the temp sensor so I was thinking of wiring in an switch that breaks the circuit on the temp sensor so it can't tell how cold the engine is. side effect would be that it would throw a code but it shouldn't hurt any thing on just start up.
Old 02-23-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wikkaco0 is an unknown quantity at this point

Set crank to 0%.
Play with cranking pulse lenghts for colder temperatures (0 and lower celcius about).
Less lenght for less fuel. I'm still trying different settings myself.
Old 02-23-2009
Registered!!

Originally Posted by bomerman19
I think I may have discovered a solution to cold starting with k-pro but have yet had a chance to test.

The theory is when I go out it doesn't start I reload the calibration and it starts right I think it is essentially errasing the memory of the temp sensor so I was thinking of wiring in an switch that breaks the circuit on the temp sensor so it can't tell how cold the engine is. side effect would be that it would throw a code but it shouldn't hurt any thing on just start up.
I tried something like this. If you unwire the Engine Coolant Temperature sensor, it wont start unless the engine is quite hot already (operating temperature). Causes a check engine light and the ECU reads the coolant temperature to be at the hot limit value (won't read any higher). The ECU will then use the short injector pulse lenght from a hot start as specified in the cranking fuel table, this is way too little fuel to start the car cold.
Old 02-26-2009
ASE Certified Master Tech (A1-A8)
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

skipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to all

ive had pretty good success shortening my base pulse widths. I think it's only given me a hard time starting in below freezing conditions 2 times. Compared to last year when it was almost a daily thing. granted it hasnt been that cold this year, but it's still been an improvement.
Old 08-04-2009
Registered!!

DaRk_MauL is a glorious beacon of lightDaRk_MauL is a glorious beacon of lightDaRk_MauL is a glorious beacon of lightDaRk_MauL is a glorious beacon of lightDaRk_MauL is a glorious beacon of lightDaRk_MauL is a glorious beacon of light

Wel i got my kpro 2 weeks ago and installed cam this week and ecu.All went wel till
i wanted to upload a stock D17 vtec PRA cali. But get the error failed to upload. Sind hondata forum doesnt help much....

How did you wire your pinout? I am using a PRA ecu ,my car is also running to narrowband sensors.

Do you maybe have some wiring scheme? realy need some help.

uploading failes
Downloading failes - get download cal but al nr are the same and messed up
removing security failes
dataloging failes - dont get any output results

the light on kpro board are working like they should..... using version 1.3.7.0
car starts fine but idles at 1800 rpm. After a few min idle is at 1200 rpm

here is a short vid from startup.

http://www.youtube.com/user/EM204T#p.../0/EVqTim_Jtfo
Old 08-04-2009
Registered!!

DaRk_MauL is a glorious beacon of lightDaRk_MauL is a glorious beacon of lightDaRk_MauL is a glorious beacon of lightDaRk_MauL is a glorious beacon of lightDaRk_MauL is a glorious beacon of lightDaRk_MauL is a glorious beacon of light

Wel i got my kpro 2 weeks ago and installed cam this week and ecu.All went wel till
i wanted to upload a stock D17 vtec PRA cali. But get the error failed to upload. Sind hondata forum doesnt help much....

How did you wire your pinout? I am using a PRA ecu ,my car is also running to narrowband sensors.

Do you maybe have some wiring scheme? realy need some help.

uploading failes
Downloading failes - get download cal but al nr are the same and messed up
removing security failes
dataloging failes - dont get any output results

the light on kpro board are working like they should..... using version 1.3.7.0
car starts fine but idles at 1800 rpm. After a few min idle is at 1200 rpm

here is a short vid from startup.

http://www.youtube.com/user/EM204T#p.../0/EVqTim_Jtfo
Old 01-10-2010
ASE Certified Master Tech (A1-A8)
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

skipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to all

bringing this back to see how everyone on the Kpro is doing this winter. My car seems to be fine in the low 30's, but any colder and it's not happy. I've started playing with the ECT temp compensation as well as cranking fuel trim and cranking base injector pulse timing, but it's still a hit or miss when it gets down to the 20's and lower. I've gotten to a point where I can't daily drive my car any longer in the cold, simply because I can't get it started.
Old 01-16-2010
Registered!!

bomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't had too much problem if I can get a snow bank or something to block air from going under the car then it starts a little easier. I also have a spare battery in the back trunk which is for my subie and sometimes I hook that battery to the stock battery and I usually get it in a couple cranks.
Old 01-28-2010
Registered!!

This issue got out of hand last year for me. Car is registered as stored for winter now... My car was completely useless last winter because it gets colder than -15celcius regularly here.

This cold starting thing has been a general dissapointment. (Along side the other issues when running Kpro with a Non-Vtec engine)

Possible solutions:
- Get a block heater and plug it in overnight. Hope you don't have to leave your car mid day long enough for engine to cool down.
- Try changes to ignition timing around the cranking area of the tables. I've noticed slight differences in starting when cold. Perhaps this is part of the issue.
Old 01-28-2010
Registered!!

baron340 is a glorious beacon of lightbaron340 is a glorious beacon of lightbaron340 is a glorious beacon of lightbaron340 is a glorious beacon of lightbaron340 is a glorious beacon of light

I've been having similar issues with mine, and it's basically the same setup. Non-vtec and all. I've pulled a ton of fuel out in the entire cranking map and it's still not perfect. If it gets below 20-ish *F it won't start worth a crap. I have to hold the gas pedal in and crank it forever for it to turn over. It will then run at like 200 rpm for 30 or so sec. then it perks right up. I haven't had a chance to keep playing with it since it's been warm for a few weeks though.

Do you know if these issues are similar with the vtec head? I've got one in the garage I just haven't had a chance to swap over yet.
Old 01-28-2010
Registered!!

Cold starting issues are common to non-vtec, vtec, and vtec converted setups such as my own.

Non-vtec has the other issue of engine cutting out and then stalling under load usually when cold. Happens mostly in the higher rpms.
Old 01-28-2010
Registered!!

baron340 is a glorious beacon of lightbaron340 is a glorious beacon of lightbaron340 is a glorious beacon of lightbaron340 is a glorious beacon of lightbaron340 is a glorious beacon of light

Hmm.. I just tried pully 10% out when cranking. It sure fires up more quickly when the engine is warm, but we'll see how it works out in the cold. I haven't seen any cutting out issues though. Not on the dyno.. cold.. nothing.
Old 01-28-2010
Registered!!

Originally Posted by baron340
Hmm.. I just tried pully 10% out when cranking. It sure fires up more quickly when the engine is warm, but we'll see how it works out in the cold. I haven't seen any cutting out issues though. Not on the dyno.. cold.. nothing.
The cutting out issue affected most of the non-vtec ppl. Myself being one of the first. A Vtec head solved that somehow.
To the best of my knowledge, I believe some S2000 kpro owners also have the same issue, though not as common.
Old 01-29-2010
Registered!!

you have to understand that most of the base maps are created at church's in southern california they don't get temps like we do in the more wintery areas so they never worry about really tuning the cars for cold cranking. and sadly hondata's solution to everything is check your grounds lol.

it does not matter if you have a v-tec head or not if your getting issues from running a non-v-tec head then their is something else wrong.

what you need is a tuner that will tune for cold cranking they tend to be very difficult to find. I know jeff evans will do it on some race cars but you have to leave it with him for a couple of days in order for him to be able to replicate the conditions. basicly you have to sit out in the cold with a laptop and mess with it till you get it right I will say that I do see a lot of people throwing too much gas at the problem in the cold which ends up just flooding the motor so it will never catch. some times I can crank it for a couple minutes and then let it sit for a minute and it will fire right up.
Old 01-30-2010
Registered!!

The non-vtec issue appears to be part of the calibration as the problem was recurrent with all D17A1. I spent a great deal of time with the local Hondata dealer here in Montreal working on that. They, as a result, no longer sell Kpro for D17 as it's too much of a headache lol.

It was my understanding that the base map was taken directly off the stock D17 ECU however.

I do agree with the hit or miss cold starting. Some days, real cold days it would start right up. Most of the time it wouldnt though. And sometimes you'd just have to try again two minutes later and if you're lucky it would fire up. Still, 90% of the time it doesnt work...