General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

Do short throw shifters hurt your car at all?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2008
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shroomy07cex is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Do short throw shifters hurt your car at all?

Because when i talked to honda they said that it will throw off somthing and it voids my warrenty. But what im thinking is... that they are LIARS!!! haha and that i could just put the stock one back on if i ever needed to bring it in for a problem. DO you think it will hurt the car in any way other than just normal wear and tear from fast driving?
Old 10-26-2008
Retired suspension supermod.
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

robbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to behold
Re: Do short throw shifters hurt your car at all?

liars...

In fact, I misshift LESS with my short shifter.
Old 10-26-2008
Registered!!

rutscivic is an unknown quantity at this point

if ANYTHING itll void warranty on shift cables and the shifter itself...NOTHING else...liars
Old 10-26-2008
Registered!!

RallyeRedRider has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Liars. .
And like you said, if you have to take the car in for warranty work, just switch the stock shifter back in.
Old 10-26-2008
Registered!!

BJanzen is a glorious beacon of lightBJanzen is a glorious beacon of lightBJanzen is a glorious beacon of lightBJanzen is a glorious beacon of lightBJanzen is a glorious beacon of lightBJanzen is a glorious beacon of light

If something went wrong, dont they have to PROVE that it was the fact that a short shifter was in there anyways?
Old 10-27-2008
Registered!!

wheelspinLX is just really nicewheelspinLX is just really nicewheelspinLX is just really nicewheelspinLX is just really nice

I have had a Revo SS for three years no problems.
Old 10-27-2008
Registered!!

civicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond repute

REVO SS FTW! my fav mod besides my turbo back when i was boosted.
Old 10-27-2008
Registered!!

wheelspinLX is just really nicewheelspinLX is just really nicewheelspinLX is just really nicewheelspinLX is just really nice

What's the 8th gen set-up like though? Is it cables like the 7th gens?
Old 10-27-2008
Registered!!

dfminc is an unknown quantity at this point

Wears out synchros faster.
Old 10-27-2008
Registered!!

civicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond repute

^^ exactly how does a short shifter ruin the synchros in the short shifter? lol.

the only thing capable of wearing the synchros i think is: more power through the tranny, and the driver
Old 10-27-2008
Registered!!

Is this a good short shifter choice? or is there even much of a difference between brands? If so could you guys how me some better ones?

http://www.procivic.com/pages-produc...935/index.html
Old 10-27-2008
Registered!!

TemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to all

everything can void your warranty according to the stealership. I remember they said they would void my entire warranty if i upgraded to a rsx rear sway bar.
Old 10-27-2008
Registered!!

dfminc is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm assuming the point of a short throw shifter is to make shifts quicker. If that is the case it is necessary to apply more force to the synchros to speed them up more quickly, causing increased wear. I guess you could do the same thing with a normal shifter and nothing about the short shifter inherently causes more wear its just how its used.
Old 10-28-2008
Registered!!

pandaboi247 will become famous soon enough

i juss got the adaptor from dc sports. i dun like the short shift **** i got an 04 em2 and i dont want to end up hiting my elbow almost everytime i shift
Old 10-29-2008

robbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by dfminc
I'm assuming the point of a short throw shifter is to make shifts quicker. If that is the case it is necessary to apply more force to the synchros to speed them up more quickly, causing increased wear. I guess you could do the same thing with a normal shifter and nothing about the short shifter inherently causes more wear its just how its used.
Any HARD shift from a short shifter or OEM will wear synchros, but short shifters alone will not damage synchros.

panda, I had the DC sports adapter, but traded it for the REVO. I have to say, the REVO is much better than the adapter.
Old 10-29-2008
Registered!!

Hmmm well then heres another question. Since it wears syncros down faster is it worth getting?
Old 10-29-2008
Registered!!

well honestly, i have romped on my car so hard.. the revo ss was my 2nd mod and back in the day i used to do a lot of drag racing. i was so noob back then, i shifted so hard i cant believe i didnt rip the stick out of the short shifter box. and my tranny still runs well. so i would say do it. its a really great mod for any car IMHO. and as everyone said before, just switch back to stock if your taking it in to the dealer.
Old 10-29-2008
Registered!!

lilmidget08 has a reputation beyond reputelilmidget08 has a reputation beyond reputelilmidget08 has a reputation beyond reputelilmidget08 has a reputation beyond reputelilmidget08 has a reputation beyond reputelilmidget08 has a reputation beyond reputelilmidget08 has a reputation beyond reputelilmidget08 has a reputation beyond reputelilmidget08 has a reputation beyond reputelilmidget08 has a reputation beyond reputelilmidget08 has a reputation beyond repute

the short shifter is great but yes if you try to go to a honda dealer with it and you are complaining about shifting problems then they are going to tell you to have a nice day and make a note in the computer that you have a short shifter and that you no longer have warranty. even if you put it back to stock and try to go back a few weeks later its still in the computer. so do it and if you have problems put stock back and then go to the dealer.
Old 10-29-2008

Originally Posted by Shroomy07cex
Hmmm well then heres another question. Since it wears syncros down faster is it worth getting?
Did you NOT read what we said? It won't wear synchros faster. Hard shifts will.
Old 10-29-2008
Registered!!

BoneStOck_176 is an unknown quantity at this point

damned lying honda dealing bastard! get ur short throw shifter and make the change before taking it to the honda shop.. my friend has a 8th gen and hes been doing that since like march 07... he shifts o.d. hard so his synchro wears quik... think every couple months he goin in so u can imagine...