General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

'08 Honda Civic vs. '02 Silverado 5.3

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2008
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FauxRicer is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking '08 Honda Civic vs. '02 Silverado 5.3

Hello everyone! I've come to the Civic Forums on behalf of myself and my friend in an interest to set one of our mutual friend's car up for some humiliation in an organized (and legal) drag race down here in Georgia.

Recently I've acquired a 2008 black Honda Civic A/T EX-L (with Navigation) Coupe which I've received some fuss over as I'm friends with many domestic car lovers. Although I've decided on it for the MPG and not the performance, some have not managed to get over it.

As such, my very good friend and I would like to knock one of our friends down a notch. As mentioned in the topic title, he has a 2002 Chevrolet Silverado 5.3 with an exhaust, intake, stall, and possibly a 224 cam -- all haphazardly done and with an automatic transmission as well.

As you know, the base non-SI engine isn't anything of a powerhouse, and even the SI will easily get ripped up by anything with the necessary torque. However, we're confident when there's a will there's a way without any extreme modifications to the car.

My friend has proposed a few things so far:
- Smaller tires (14"?) for a higher gear ratio
- Nitrous (50-75 shot?) for the extra torque & power necessary
- Removal of back and passenger seats
- Unbolted/removed exhaust (mostly for the nitrous)
- Colder spark plugs (also for the nitrous)

Seeing as his car and his hobby cars are domestic, he lacks the depth of knowledge about this engine and ethic that I come to you to obtain -- though he is still very knowledgeable.

So, I would be extremely appreciative if anyone had any ideas as to how we can pull this off, and also what kind of nitrous shot the Civic's engine can handle safely.

As what little incentive we can offer, we promise a video of the drag race itself as well as our friend crying and/or becoming mute after he is beaten!

Quick Overview (October 07, 2008)

2008 Civic EX-L A/T (stock):

Weight: 2782lbs
Power: 140hp/128lb-ft/tq
1/4 E/T:~17 seconds (not sure?)

2002 Chevrolet Silverado A/T (mild modifications):
Weight:~4700lbs
Power: ~300hp/~330lb-ft/tq
1/4 E/T: 15.5-15.7 seconds (based on previous 1/4 runs)

Last edited by FauxRicer; 10-07-2008 at 12:42 PM.
Old 10-07-2008
just a man with a civic

sicma99ot is a glorious beacon of lightsicma99ot is a glorious beacon of lightsicma99ot is a glorious beacon of lightsicma99ot is a glorious beacon of lightsicma99ot is a glorious beacon of lightsicma99ot is a glorious beacon of light
Re: '08 Honda Civic vs. '02 Silverado 5.3

are you asking something or just telling us a story?
Old 10-07-2008
Registered!!

FauxRicer is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sicma99ot
are you asking something or just telling us a story?
Thank you for welcoming me!

Originally Posted by FauxRicer
... in an interest to set one of our mutual friend's car up for some humiliation in an organized (and legal) drag race down here in Georgia .. my very good friend and I would like to knock one of our friends down a notch. ...

... So, I would be extremely appreciative if anyone had any ideas as to how we can pull this off, and also what kind of nitrous shot the Civic's engine can handle safely.
Old 10-07-2008
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

sorry man the civic will get smoked. and i would not ruin a brand new car with nitrous
Old 10-07-2008
just a man with a civic

sicma99ot is a glorious beacon of lightsicma99ot is a glorious beacon of lightsicma99ot is a glorious beacon of lightsicma99ot is a glorious beacon of lightsicma99ot is a glorious beacon of lightsicma99ot is a glorious beacon of light

Thank you for welcoming me!
my bad bro, welcome.
but the civic wouldnt win. even though the truck weighs twice as much as the vic, it has much more power. so taking out the back seats would do very little. your looking into some work on the vic.
Old 10-07-2008
Registered!!

filipinop1405 is a glorious beacon of lightfilipinop1405 is a glorious beacon of lightfilipinop1405 is a glorious beacon of lightfilipinop1405 is a glorious beacon of lightfilipinop1405 is a glorious beacon of lightfilipinop1405 is a glorious beacon of light

Welcome, But I agree with sicma99ot and gear! Civic will get beat unless drastically modified.
Old 10-07-2008
<---- I am really this short in person!

fullgrown is an unknown quantity at this point

for one sure way to beat him, right before the race, when he's not looking, take out his spark plugs and couple hoses.
Old 10-07-2008
Slowest 7thgen in the GTA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
phuviano has a spectacular aura aboutphuviano has a spectacular aura about

Although I've decided on it for the MPG and not the performance, some have not managed to get over it.
If you bought your car for the mpg, then why are you trying to hit 15's in the quarter mile?? Leave it the way it is.

If you want a faster one, get an Si. I'm pretty sure an 8thgen Si can keep up with that Silverado.
Old 10-07-2008
Registered!!

wheelspinLX is just really nicewheelspinLX is just really nicewheelspinLX is just really nicewheelspinLX is just really nice

Either gain horsepower, lose weight or both. The civic stock is toting 19.87 #/HP and the Silverado is toting only 15.67 #/HP. So on paper the Silverado wins. For you to win (on paper) you need ~60hp more or to lose ~800# or some combo of the two. This is all just theory by the numbers though there are a lot of other factors, but it gives you an idea of what your goals could be.
Old 10-07-2008
7thgens official a$$hole

ajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to behold

have fun moddding the r18 engine..that thing was built for one purpose and that was to run forever and not be modded.
Old 10-07-2008
Registered!!

sethro is an unknown quantity at this point

A boosted or turbo'ed Si might due to the trick I imagine, but an R18 I really don't think so bro. Especially on a strait line.
Old 10-10-2008
Registered!!

xplicit503 is an unknown quantity at this point

Even with a turbo R18 your only pushing out 240whp. Like someone said above, these engines were not meant to be become beasts.

A tear just came out because I was unable to buy a SI. T_T
Old 10-10-2008
the best kind of lovin is from the oven!

ProjectMayhemR will become famous soon enough

Idk anything about the new 06+ civics but i beat v8 trucks consitently unless its dodge's turbo diesel. You might stand a chance even though you have an auto tranny. If you had a 5spd i would have more faith. Remember it takes a lot more effort to get large trucks going compared to cars (I have a truck) so if you have a good reaction time and your car accelerates halfway decent you might win.
Old 10-11-2008
Registered!!

TemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to all

barrow someone's debadged si.
Old 10-11-2008
Registered!!

02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light

Gotta figure in that the truck is going to have traction from a dig, it will make a difference. 4-5 tenths slower in the 60ft makes a big difference in the top end. I have been in those trucks time and time again, they actually go pretty good.

I have an 06 duramax dually crewcab for towing the race car, from a stop I own a lot of cars, cars I have no bussiness racing, with just a push of the pedal, 650ft/lbs of torque and 365 hp, 4.10 locker, no aftermarket mods. 0-60 doesnt just feel fast, it IS fast for a 8500+lb truck.

Last edited by 02fpcivic; 10-11-2008 at 06:25 AM.
Old 10-11-2008
Registered!!

Cleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ajhdragon
have fun moddding the r18 engine..that thing was built for one purpose and that was to run forever and not be modded.
What do you mean by run forever? What's so special about it in that respect?
Old 10-11-2008
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

basic honda engines usually last the life of the car, but ive seen enough cases to think differently.