General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

Why do wiper blades suck?

Old 10-04-2008
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of light
Why do wiper blades suck?

Because they all do. I've got some fairly new triple edge blades on there, and I couldn't see **** in the rain yesterday. It leaves behind water and I can barely see through it. And then if I use standard rubber blades (no matter what the price) they wear out in like a month two due to the elements. I want a lasting solution.

I feel like cars should have been upgraded to external window blowers like the Comanche helicopter. It doesn't have windshield wipers and instead air is blown quickly across the face of the glasses. I bet there's really cheap and effective ways to implement this.
Old 10-04-2008
<---- I am really this short in person!

fullgrown is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Why do wiper blades suck?

you should ask gearbox. i think he got one of those new blades from rainex?
Old 10-04-2008
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

i tried almost every blade, even the fancy beam style ones. ive been most impressed with the bosch micro edge because it lasts a few months without streaking or chattering, and the blade has good graphite coating. but as for wearing out, it is only rubber afterall and will warp in the sun. when i lived in rainy illinois, i used them every day and they worked the best. but had to change every few months to keep the performance. in reno it hardly ever rains so why worry? with rain-x on the windshield, you barely even need wipers anyway just let the rain bead up and fall off.
Old 10-04-2008
Registered!!

Cleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by gearbox
i tried almost every blade, even the fancy beam style ones. ive been most impressed with the bosch micro edge because it lasts a few months without streaking or chattering, and the blade has good graphite coating. but as for wearing out, it is only rubber afterall and will warp in the sun. when i lived in rainy illinois, i used them every day and they worked the best. but had to change every few months to keep the performance. in reno it hardly ever rains so why worry? with rain-x on the windshield, you barely even need wipers anyway just let the rain bead up and fall off.
Thanks, I may give them a try some other time. For now, I will use rain-x. I forgot about that stuff! It works so well.

Yeah, it rains a decent amount in winter here though.
Old 10-04-2008
< My future wife.

armieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to behold

My blades are okay.
Old 10-04-2008
Registered!!

Originally Posted by armieo
My blades are okay.
All I know is that you've addressed all my questions.
Old 10-04-2008
Registered!!

joe6680 will become famous soon enoughjoe6680 will become famous soon enough

You could drive really really fast for that helicopter effect. Also I wonder if those bug guard things would have any effect, you know the ones that create that wind barrier that is supposed to prevent bugs from hitting the windshield, just an idea.
Old 10-04-2008
Registered!!

Check this out: Rain-x vs. Aquapel.

http://www.jwardell.com/mini/2006/04...-x-vs-aquapel/
Old 10-04-2008
Registered!!

If that guy isn't bullshitting us about the aquapel, then that stuff is a deal and a half. I mean you can get 6 sticks for 30 bucks, which is like $5 a window. The stuff isn't sensitive to wiper blade motion, so your old blades should work. Therefore, it could save a lot of money.
Old 10-04-2008
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

well if you really want the king of glass water repellants, get the spray called daimondite that they use for airplane windows. it repels rock chips too. i used it, its decent, but in the end it all comes down to cost and effectiveness. and for how cheap and easy rain-x is to apply, i dont mind putting it on every few months. btw, get the rain-x window WAX, not their stupid sprays. the wax comes off super easy!
Old 10-04-2008
Registered!!

well if you really want the king of glass water repellants, get the spray called daimondite that they use for airplane windows. it repels rock chips too. i used it, its decent, but in the end it all comes down to cost and effectiveness. and for how cheap and easy rain-x is to apply, i dont mind putting it on every few months. btw, get the rain-x window WAX, not their stupid sprays. the wax comes off super easy!
I don't see any diamondite for airplanes, just cars. http://www.diamondite.com/glass-care.html

Can you find that rain-x stuff in stores or do I have to order? Also, does it protect against rock chips and stuff? Because I've got a new window on there and my last window lasted 2 years max.
Old 10-04-2008
Registered!!

Lol, oh okay, let me guess. They use the car stuff on airplane windows. Got it. ^_^ The rain-x stuff seems the way to go by what you tell me. Cost/effectiveness/longevity is my main concern.
Old 10-04-2008
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

i vouch for rain-x that stuff work wonders....

you can find rain-x at ur local autostop,, autozone, walmart, kmart, homedepot(i did find it here, and cheapest)....

Last edited by sl33pyriceboi; 10-04-2008 at 08:40 PM.
Old 10-04-2008
Registered!!

Originally Posted by sl33pyriceboi
i vouch for rain-x that stuff work wonders....

you can find rain-x at ur local autostop,, autozone, walmart, kmart, homedepot(i did find it here, and cheapest)....
You talking spray on or wax? What section of home depot?
Old 10-04-2008
< My future wife.

armieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Cleft_Asunder
All I know is that you've addressed all my questions.
I actually bought replacement blades from the dealer for about $2 each and they work perfectly. Have you tried those?
Old 10-04-2008
Registered!!

Originally Posted by armieo
I actually bought replacement blades from the dealer for about $2 each and they work perfectly. Have you tried those?
Uh huh, but I don't remember paying 2 dollars for each. My dealer charges x2 what majestic does. If they're 2 bucks, then it's not a bad swap. But still, after about a month, they're toast. However, with rain-x on there, it shouldn't be an issue that the wiper ages.

See here's my logic. The triple edge silicon outlasts rubber by far. The wipers suck by themselves, but with rain-x I bet it won't be an issue. So instead of having to replace wipers all the time, this could be a semi-permanant solution.
Old 10-04-2008
< My future wife.

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...+WIPER+%281%29

$3.20 each here for parts 1 and 10 on your car. I just replaced the rubber. Works fine. Even dry.

Maybe you should get some window stripper if there is anything on your windshield which would cause cloudiness or chattering. It takes everything off.

Never used rainx personally.
Old 10-04-2008
Registered!!

boxcarracer is a jewel in the roughboxcarracer is a jewel in the roughboxcarracer is a jewel in the rough

Rain X and the cheapest wiper blades FTW Rain X is amazing.
Old 10-04-2008
Premium Member

rainx wax is only at autozone unfortunately.
Old 10-04-2008
Registered!!

rainx wax is only at autozone unfortunately.
I will pick some up tomorrow thanks.
Old 10-04-2008
Registered!!

Originally Posted by boxcarracer
Rain X and the cheapest wiper blades FTW Rain X is amazing.
Word, can't wait. I'm sick of the whole wiper blade replacement bollocks.
Old 10-04-2008

sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

or....you can buy a pair of the silicone wiper blades and use then only when you KNOW its gonna rain....

other wise, just put ur crappy oem ones on and leave em on for the rest of the year that doesnt rain
Old 10-04-2008

here in california, it rains like (no joke) 2 days out of the year...

and its suppose to rain tonight....thats why i put rain x on earlier!

....so excited for tonight.....even though the rain will stop by morning and not rain again for another year....hahaHAHAHA
Old 10-05-2008
Registered!!

Krieger is an unknown quantity at this point

just get some rain-x ones, or some silicone ones.

they aren't that expensive and i change em like once a year... and i live in FL and it has rained like CRAZY this year.

also, if ur really **** and cheap, u could just wipe ur blades with some armor all. lol just dont do it any time before u know its gonna rain.
Old 10-05-2008
Registered!!

colourwolf will become famous soon enough

I just stick with oem one and change them more offen. All blades are rubber afterall.
Old 10-05-2008

Originally Posted by Krieger
just get some rain-x ones, or some silicone ones.

they aren't that expensive and i change em like once a year... and i live in FL and it has rained like CRAZY this year.

also, if ur really **** and cheap, u could just wipe ur blades with some armor all. lol just dont do it any time before u know its gonna rain.
well, those bosch ones are bout 50$ a pair....and IMO, its not worth buying them jsut to use it a few times a year....
Old 10-05-2008
^Warranty voider

Running Riot is a glorious beacon of lightRunning Riot is a glorious beacon of lightRunning Riot is a glorious beacon of lightRunning Riot is a glorious beacon of lightRunning Riot is a glorious beacon of light

i had some money laying around so i went and got those new curved michelin blades and theyre unbeleivable man. It rains all the effing time here in Florida so i use them often and so far its been about 6 months and they still wipe clean and even even in the bottom drivers side. Best part is because theyre one peice they have no holes so when im driving i dont get that annoying howling sound. Give them a try like 35 a pair and michelin mails you back like 20 dollars. got them at the walmart
Old 10-05-2008
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Running Riot
i had some money laying around so i went and got those new curved michelin blades and theyre unbeleivable man. It rains all the effing time here in Florida so i use them often and so far its been about 6 months and they still wipe clean and even even in the bottom drivers side. Best part is because theyre one peice they have no holes so when im driving i dont get that annoying howling sound. Give them a try like 35 a pair and michelin mails you back like 20 dollars. got them at the walmart
What do you mean mails you back 20 dollars? Are you talking about the new style one piece blades?
Old 10-05-2008
Premium Member

the ragular michilins are pretty good too, just look at the blade and see if its shiny grey. if it is, it has graphite which makes them slide much easier. i would not get any blade with just plain rubber, it will skip all the time.
Old 10-05-2008
Registered!!

wikkaco0 is an unknown quantity at this point

Replacement OEM Honda blade inserts are the best so long as the original blade frame is still in good shape

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Why do wiper blades suck?