General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

Tricks to increase Civic MPG?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2008
^Warranty voider

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Running Riot is a glorious beacon of lightRunning Riot is a glorious beacon of lightRunning Riot is a glorious beacon of lightRunning Riot is a glorious beacon of lightRunning Riot is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Tricks to increase Civic MPG?

Originally Posted by 98civicmia
i have a 98 civic stick and i dont know why i get 25-27 mpg on a stock dx. only mods are exhaust. any ideas why?
start with air filter, fuel filter, sensors, 02 IAT etc work your way to the cat maybe its clogged. is your CEL on? does the car drive like ****?
Old 10-21-2008
^Warranty voider

Running Riot is a glorious beacon of lightRunning Riot is a glorious beacon of lightRunning Riot is a glorious beacon of lightRunning Riot is a glorious beacon of lightRunning Riot is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by dr_dx
under drive crank pulley $20

7lb flywheel

i can't wait until all his internals start flying around inside. NEVER EVER HAVE BOTH A CRANK PULLEY AND LIGHTER FLYWHEEL. its one or the other. i read hsi whole hypermiling scheme and i think its a load of bollocks.
Old 10-21-2008
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

lolz so do most people. might as well not even drive if you do that all the time. my car also gets around 20-25mpg, it mainly depends on driving style, how much you press the gas, weather conditions (hot/cold), altitude (sea level/mountains), etc.
Old 10-21-2008
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Running Riot
i can't wait until all his internals start flying around inside. NEVER EVER HAVE BOTH A CRANK PULLEY AND LIGHTER FLYWHEEL. its one or the other. i read hsi whole hypermiling scheme and i think its a load of bollocks.
You used the word 'bollocks.' +1
Old 10-21-2008
Registered!!

Cleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of light

The sad thing is that people would rather hypermile to the extreme than to get their McAsses on a bike or walk.
Old 10-22-2008
Registered!!

wheelspinLX is just really nicewheelspinLX is just really nicewheelspinLX is just really nicewheelspinLX is just really nice

Originally Posted by Cleft_Asunder
The sad thing is that people would rather hypermile to the extreme than to get their McAsses on a bike or walk.
Agreed +1 for you
Old 10-22-2008
Registered!!

98civicmia is an unknown quantity at this point

How many miles on your car and what tune-ups (not mods) have you done? Are you driving your car too hard? Driving style is number 1. You should be getting like 32-42mpg roughly.
Well the honda has 134,000 miles on it i drive normally, maybe push it once in a while but i recently bought it off a mechanics son. otherwise it is all stock and gets its oil change religiously. Any reason why i get sort of shitty miles?
Old 10-22-2008
Registered!!

start with air filter, fuel filter, sensors, 02 IAT etc work your way to the cat maybe its clogged. is your CEL on? does the car drive like ****?
Just changed the the oil filter, air filter, how do i check the o2 sensor? should i get a tune-up?
Old 10-22-2008
Registered!!

wheelspinLX is just really nicewheelspinLX is just really nicewheelspinLX is just really nicewheelspinLX is just really nice

You replace the O2 sensor at intervals, meaning if it has never been replaced or hasn't been replaced in the last 70k-90k miles it's probably time. If you could get any service history from the previous owner that would be helpful.
Old 10-22-2008
Registered!!

Well the honda has 134,000 miles on it i drive normally, maybe push it once in a while but i recently bought it off a mechanics son. otherwise it is all stock and gets its oil change religiously. Any reason why i get sort of shitty miles?
I've got 120k on my car so we're both due for 02 senor changes. But, I'm not getting bad gas mileage like you so I wouldn't worry about the 02 sensors just yet. My last reading was 37.6mpg with about 1/3rd city and 2/3rd highway.

If you haven't done a tuneup (which it looks like you haven't) then you will need new spark plugs (NGK or Denso, look in the glovebox manual for the exact item numbers), spark plug wires, distributor cap and new rotar. Also, get a new fuel filter. Get a new air filter too (not fram). I guess you can throw in an air filter at majestic honda like I did, it's about 15 dollars. I don't know if stock air filter is any good, but I bet it's a hell of a lot better than a fram.

Plugs torque in at 13 lbs ft. And fuel filter torques at 25 lbs ft. You should buy everything at majestic honda.

Last edited by Cleft_Asunder; 10-22-2008 at 03:00 PM.
Old 10-22-2008
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

napa gold makes excellent stock replacement filters. its actually a wix filter. better than oem, altho oem isnt bad either.
Old 10-23-2008
Registered!!

Originally Posted by gearbox
napa gold makes excellent stock replacement filters. its actually a wix filter. better than oem, altho oem isnt bad either.
Do you know who makes the OEM filter? Having a hard time finding out. After this filter though, I'm going to go with a really good one. I know you run weapon r in yours. What's the cost per filter between weapon r and the napa gold? And are you talking about napa auto parts?
Old 10-23-2008
Premium Member

napa auto parts yeah. and weapon-r i think only makes cone filter not stock panel. but, you could switch to amsoil oiled foam dropin if they make it for stock intake. its excellent. filters better than paper and flows more air too.
Old 10-23-2008
Registered!!

napa auto parts yeah. and weapon-r i think only makes cone filter not stock panel. but, you could switch to amsoil oiled foam dropin if they make it for stock intake. its excellent. filters better than paper and flows more air too.
Nope, this is all they make:

http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/eaa.aspx
Old 10-23-2008
Premium Member

looks like they only have wix air filter for your car. just get the napa gold its nice. i always buy their cabin filters.
Old 10-23-2008
Registered!!

looks like they only have wix air filter for your car. just get the napa gold its nice. i always buy their cabin filters.
My cabin filter has probably never been replaced. I guess I should check it out.
Old 10-23-2008
^Warranty voider

fram makes the factory blue honda oil filter i found out. it was quite disturbing. im thinking of getting the green hamp filters from ebay. they claim to be true gayDM

Last edited by Running Riot; 10-23-2008 at 01:45 PM.
Old 10-23-2008
^Warranty voider

Just changed the the oil filter, air filter, how do i check the o2 sensor? should i get a tune-up?
check your IAT sensor too right on the intake tube i had mine jacked by a mechanic and im gas mileage went to absolute ****
Old 10-23-2008
Registered!!

fram makes the factory blue honda oil filter i found out. it was quite disturbing. im thinking of getting the green hamp filters from ebay. they claim to be true gayDM
I remember somebody doing a test of the non-oem fram filter and the oem version. He cut the filgers apart and found out that the oem fram one had more layers of filtering material.
Old 10-23-2008
Registered!!

check your IAT sensor too right on the intake tube i had mine jacked by a mechanic and im gas mileage went to absolute ****
It's on the air filter housing on the 6th gen dx.
Old 10-23-2008
Premium Member

there are two different oem oil filter part numbers and god help you if you get stuck with the bad one. i dont even take the chance and go with K&N. its $12 and i also get maxlife oil so my whole diy oil change comes to almost $40, but i only do every 6 months so i think its worth the quality.
Old 10-23-2008
Registered!!

I've got 120k on my car so we're both due for 02 senor changes. But, I'm not getting bad gas mileage like you so I wouldn't worry about the 02 sensors just yet. My last reading was 37.6mpg with about 1/3rd city and 2/3rd highway.

If you haven't done a tuneup (which it looks like you haven't) then you will need new spark plugs (NGK or Denso, look in the glovebox manual for the exact item numbers), spark plug wires, distributor cap and new rotar. Also, get a new fuel filter. Get a new air filter too (not fram). I guess you can throw in an air filter at majestic honda like I did, it's about 15 dollars. I don't know if stock air filter is any good, but I bet it's a hell of a lot better than a fram.

Plugs torque in at 13 lbs ft. And fuel filter torques at 25 lbs ft. You should buy everything at majestic honda.
for the air filter i was actually got a intake. an aem v2 intake system, it has a aem dryflow or a k&n filter. or can anyone recommend anything better or which one is better, aem or k&n?
Old 10-23-2008
Premium Member

aem dryflow is FAR superior.
Old 10-23-2008
Registered!!

aem dryflow is FAR superior.
thanks GEARBOX now i can make my decision, Im gonna do a tune-up as soon as i install the V2 and the aem dryflow. Is it ok that im using a generic 90 degree coupler to attach my AEM V2 since it wasnt made for my model.
Old 10-23-2008
Premium Member

yeah just make sure its sealed tight. dont want any air leaks. dryflow filters 99.9% of dirt its a synthetic paper filter you can clean any time with their recharge kit. K&N only filters 92%, messes up your car, and is junk.
Old 10-24-2008
Registered!!

mrplow123456 will become famous soon enoughmrplow123456 will become famous soon enough

It's been a while since I've been on and after reading this my head started to spin. lol

About the whole hypermiling thing, pl that go to those extremes are more in it for the thrill, if u wanna call it that, like a sport. It takes major devotion to pull it off and I don't know about you, but I would never be able to drive that slow to save about 50 percent on gas.

The other thing too about the cold air = more gas is total bull. AEM being one of the worlds leaders in tuning would not have spent so much time and money on getting as cold of air as possible into the engine bay if it actually gave bad results. Typicaly on a car like ours, just about anything that increases hp will slightly increase mpg.

About the whole DryFlow VS K&N filters, the only reason K&N is such a big name is b/c of all the advertising they do. Granted, they do make quality stuff, but compared to the DryFlow filters, they've got nothing.

This is bad but the AEM filter on my CAI is about 6 yrs old and looks like it was never cleaned (I think its time for a new one). But my car still runs like a champ especially now that I replaced my IAT about 2 months ago.

Now about the whole gas mileage stuff, I get usually 25+ and thats with racing it a lil bit on the weekends. The best I got without any tune up or anything was 33 on my way back from OC, MD doing about 70-75mph. I know that with a god oil change, new filter and a new o2 sensor I should be getting closer to 30. If I baby her, I can get upwards of 40 but I hate making ppl follow me when I do that. In PA its pretty much understood u should do 5 over the speed limit. +10 if u r living life on the edge. lol.

But yeah interesting thread and I'm interested to see any other ideas.

Oh yeah and going along with the cold air giving u better mpg, so do turbos. The only problems with turbos is, that if u have one, u tend to use it. If u know what I mean.
Old 10-24-2008
Registered!!

Man I bet gearbox is really looking forward to talking about the cold air = less mpg topic again. I hear it's his favorite. But ummm... other than that, who cares if people are on your but when you're doing 65? Just chill and drive the way you want. I do 65 and the people behind me either pass me, or conform. But to be honest with you, I've tried 70mph and didn't notice any mpg decrease at all. *shrug* I should run another test where I do 70 only...
Old 10-24-2008
Premium Member

ehh ill just say that the more hp, the worse the gas mileage. if you are modding your car for performance, gas mileage goes down. cold air has more oxygen per unit volume, so the ecu will inject more fuel to obtain the ideal mix. prime example why in the summer, the car feels slower and gets better mileage, yet in the winter the car feels faster and gets much worse mileage. a cold air intake is a power mod, not a fuel saving one. how can you make more hp and also increase gas mileage? you cant. doesnt it take more gas to make more hp? yes it does. more (or colder) air = more fuel added = more power.
Old 10-25-2008
Registered!!

mrplow123456 will become famous soon enoughmrplow123456 will become famous soon enough

i understand the whole more hp = more gas comsumption, but isnt it true that with power moders it allows the engine to work easier? I mean i dont know numbers but like with headers and CAI, dont they...meh i give up. i swore after both were put on i had gotten better mpg. i mean isnt there some way to test it to find out?
Old 10-27-2008
^Warranty voider

an intake will increase your mileage because your increasing the pumping efficiency of the engine. it's making it easier for your engine to breathe. That's been my stance from the beginning and im sticking to it.

and if your intake is bringing in cold air then you can create better combustion with cold air than you can with warm air.

unlike a turbo, that brings in more air than the vehicle could normally intake on its own, the intake is "freeing" up power that was there in the first place but restricted by the factory intake. Just like exhausts, just like lighter internals just like wegith reduction...

Quick Reply: Tricks to increase Civic MPG?