General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

DIY: Gearbox's Projector Retrofit

Old 03-12-2008
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: DIY: Gearbox's Projector Retrofit

idk man that looks good to me, i was expecting alot worse lol
Old 03-12-2008
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LatinEM2 is a glorious beacon of lightLatinEM2 is a glorious beacon of lightLatinEM2 is a glorious beacon of lightLatinEM2 is a glorious beacon of lightLatinEM2 is a glorious beacon of lightLatinEM2 is a glorious beacon of light

Looks good man, didn't you used to have a retro on TYC's???
Old 03-12-2008
Registered!!

Devani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond repute

thanks steve....:
the FX lenses almost touch the front plastic lens cover...to have room in the back...you can see the solenoid wires and ignitor wire coming out of rubber boot...also the light is reflected from the picture shown from the top view....mine had no problems with couple of car washes already ...

you should have no problem with your projector recessed in the back...I do find the FX projector big for our civic...
Old 03-12-2008
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LatinEM2
Looks good man, didn't you used to have a retro on TYC's???
yeah valeos in sonar projectors, hated every minute of it lol.
Old 03-13-2008
Administrator
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
electric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: DIY: Gearbox's Acura TL Retrofit

Originally Posted by gearbox
and i may just go with some chrome aftermarket projectors so i wont have to worry about making it look right. its too hard to make a nice looking oem retro.

if anyone has smaller projector ideas, please offer. i really want this to be adjustable for the long term, as far as aiming goes, and there was no way it was happening with the tls.
that's what i did. put TSX in TYC's. from the front, they look completely stock. the TYC's have even less room to work with than OEM housings. took a lot of fab work on the back to build up a mount, but in the end, i can adjust all 4 directions.

based on these 2 pics:

i would have mounted the projector to the black housing instead of the reflector. having a flat surface to run the screws through would have been stronger. also, the way i did my mount screws could have been done here too and it would give you 4 way adjustment. this also would put the screws behind the reflector and you can fab a shroud to cover the top and sides of the projector and everything would look clean. based on the pics you provided, it still looks very possible. i don't see what you're calling the TL's too big. what doesn't fit? things look good to me. i think you should still go with the TL's. i think they're still doable.
Old 03-13-2008
Registered!!

Devani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond repute

well, he traded TL for SC430 already...
after doing a retro on OEM headlights, I also want to recommend aftermarket headlights than OEM to those who are planning retro...
Old 03-13-2008
Premium Member

well im gonna wait for the e46 and test them first, if they look okay i will prolly go that route. another problem is the big projectors are really heavy. that tl weighed a ton and wouldve been shaking all over going on rough roads. i also got some retrofit source shrouds to try, im betting they will fit the e46 perfectly and i wont have to worry about multiple bezel/shroud crap. the sc430 is smaller than tl but not where it counts. bowl is still same size, just front is shorter which doesnt help much.
Old 03-13-2008
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Devani
okay here's pics of mine....they look ugly but i only care about functionality...
I also agree with temjin....once you see what TL and SC430 can do, you will not be happy with E46 projectors...
lol.....once you see what the even the TSX can do, you'll think the e46 are crap...
Old 03-14-2008
Premium Member

well byebye sc430s, selling those, hoping for the best with e46. if 50w e46 is as bright or brighter than stock 35w tl, ill be happy.the sc bowl was just too fat like the tl. and was gonna be alot of projector to cover with shroud in the front.
Old 03-14-2008
Registered!!

hmm, that's too bad...hoping our headlights were big enough for SC...
Old 03-14-2008
Premium Member

the problem is the rear bowl. its exactly the same as tl, its just that the front after where the two halves come together is much smaller. which doesnt change anything lol. oh well. i know im too picky.
Old 03-14-2008
Registered!!

TemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to all

so the quest continues. Post the pics of the e46 with the 50w bulbs when you ahve a chance. If you got the single xenon you should have no problem.

i'm assuming you got the e46 ece projectors from hidplanet?
Old 03-14-2008
Premium Member

i got some from ebay for $100, straight e46 singles. will get pics up. i spent an hour modding the 350z by removing the black cover at the bottom and trimming the shield, but i could not get them any brighter and all i did was make more glare lol. so that was a waste of time.
Old 03-14-2008
Registered!!

TemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to all

you should've just got the hidplanet ones there the same price but have the ece lens so they have the sharper cut off.
Old 03-14-2008
Registered!!

here's the thread where the guy retro's e46 ece from hidplanet

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...s-updated.html

Old 03-15-2008
Registered!!

buckshizzo is a jewel in the roughbuckshizzo is a jewel in the roughbuckshizzo is a jewel in the rough

I bought the e46 from hidplanet. Cutoff is no where near that sharp, especially at the edges. Look closely at how the sharp cutoff nearly vanishes at the outer right edge. If the e46 were any good I would have stuck with those instead of redoing a retro with the TFX. However, the e46 do give a nice purple hue at a distance(not too colorful).
Old 03-15-2008

sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

e46.....eh...no comment...lol
Old 03-15-2008
Registered!!

there ok for there size. Remeber gearbox is looking for the most compact projector with decent performance. He already said the tsx and sc430 are out.
Old 03-15-2008
Administrator
Administrator

electric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond repute

TSX would fit just fine.
Old 03-15-2008
Premium Member

i said tl and sc430 are out. now tsx, electric do you have a pic of it and the bowl diameter? its a possibility. but so far e46 has the smallest bowl and looks like it will fit without much cutting.
Old 03-15-2008
Administrator
Administrator

there's some pics in my retro thread, but i don't know if it will show you what you want. if i remember right, the dimension thread at HID Planet was pretty acurate for the TSX. they are about the same height as the valeo, but a little wider. if i can get them to fit in TYC, you should easily be able to get them into the OEM housing. mount them to the back housing, not the reflector. they'll be more stable and it should be easier to do.
Old 03-15-2008

yea i must agree.... teh e46 are PSO compared to TSX.... the light output is less and teh sparpmess is dull (e46). plus i dont like the Z cut off line because its too friggin big and you lose a big area of light when ur correctly beamed down the road...

ive done enough retro's with them where i hate em.

and TSX is bout the same size, but a lil smaller i believe...its jsut a lil fat...thats all...

btw, when u say E46, do u mean the single xenon or the bixenon.

cuz the single is a 2.5" lense where as the bi is 3" (something like that)
Old 03-15-2008
Premium Member

single. i will try it out. like i said, if its bright enough with 50w i may use it. shield mods are also a possibility to increase output. i can always grind down the larger step and then aim them up more.
Old 03-15-2008
Administrator
Administrator

i know i love my TSX now. i know when i first did them it seemed like i either got flashed a ton, or was blind (aimed too low), but ever since i got then aimed properly (turns out a 1/4 turn on the adjustment was the difference between too high and too low) i love them. yeah, there's better performers out there, but they're still pretty sweet.
Old 03-15-2008
Premium Member

almost everyone on 8thcivic.com has tsx retro lol.
Old 03-15-2008
Registered!!

buckshizzo is a jewel in the roughbuckshizzo is a jewel in the roughbuckshizzo is a jewel in the rough

When I had the e46, every time a tsx would roll pass me it would **** me off because its projectors would outshine mine. I'm running 85122+ at 55w and the stock tsx were at 35w.

I don't see any reason why there should be any fitment issues with the tsx projectors. Those are relatively small.
Old 03-15-2008
Premium Member

lol even with boosted bulb? that sucks. im this close to giving up |-|

when i see bmw on the road, even old ones, it looks pretty good? it sure outshined my old valeos.
Old 03-16-2008
Registered!!

You got to see it for yourself as the driver. I hated the ECE cutoff.

Just get some AP1 projectors. The best you can find single xenon and small enough to fit in any headlight. Can never go wrong with those.
Old 03-16-2008
Registered!!

LatinEM2 is a glorious beacon of lightLatinEM2 is a glorious beacon of lightLatinEM2 is a glorious beacon of lightLatinEM2 is a glorious beacon of lightLatinEM2 is a glorious beacon of lightLatinEM2 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by buckshizzo
You got to see it for yourself as the driver. I hated the ECE cutoff.

Just get some AP1 projectors. The best you can find single xenon and small enough to fit in any headlight. Can never go wrong with those.
How much did you pay for those????
Old 03-16-2008
Registered!!

Are you talking about the e46 or AP1? The e46 I paid about $100. I got a set of AP1 headlights for my buddy for about $350 from a junk yard.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: DIY: Gearbox's Projector Retrofit