General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

Solution to running no hood pins with cf and not be scared!

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2007
...JeRsEy sTyLe...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
varner88 is a glorious beacon of lightvarner88 is a glorious beacon of lightvarner88 is a glorious beacon of lightvarner88 is a glorious beacon of lightvarner88 is a glorious beacon of light
Solution to running no hood pins with cf and not be scared!

So i was trying to figure out how i could use the cf hood without hood pins.. with out having the chance of the latch breaking and flying up and busting the roof and windsheild and all that..

anyway this is what i came up with for now.. its only temp until i can get better parts it just what i had laying around

2 cotter pins

1 strand of 8 guage wire.

i took the wirining ends and wrapped them into loops, then using the cotter pins wrap those tight around the end of the wiring and where the ends lines up on the other side. wrapped the cotter pins really tight around both then crimped them and hammered them together. after that i e taped around them to give them a better look then just showing the pin. now i test it to see if it would work and to be honest i think it should work perfect the wiring does not even wanna budge as hard as i pull it.

dont have much pics and i know its really simple to do but also very helpful when looking for a clean look with out the pins

Old 07-11-2007
Registered!!

54321r will become famous soon enough54321r will become famous soon enough
Re: Solution to running no hood pins with cf and not be scared!

mad nice idea props
Old 07-11-2007
I Queef > You

sKwiD is on a distinguished road

It's better than nothing. Good idea.
Old 07-11-2007
Pwning Noobs 24/7

DaMadScientist is just really niceDaMadScientist is just really niceDaMadScientist is just really niceDaMadScientist is just really niceDaMadScientist is just really nice

IMO that wont work, the force of a hood flying up will break the weakest link, which would be the wire or the cotter pin, since everything else is bolted. What i would try is to focus on reinforcing the actual latch, i know that for Seibon you dont need hoodpins cause the latch is welded to the skeleton of the hood, with VIS i think they just use bolts.
Old 07-12-2007
The World Is Yours!

burke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond repute

well, with it being my old hood, i had no probs for over 2 years of daily driving, it was a great hood, but my hood dampers didnt like CF! it is a great idea from Chris, but ill, we'll see how it holds.... i dont like hood pins... risky business...
Old 07-12-2007
The World Is Yours!

burke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond repute

btw, got some better photos of the hood on the car yet?! i wanna see...
Old 07-12-2007
DeX
Canadian, Eh!

DeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to all

There are 2 better options.
1- get a cowl style hood which opens by the window away from the driver. That way when you're on the highway, the wind is simply pushing it down further.
2- simply line it up with the latch so it really holds well. Carbon Fiber is not going to just warp and bend away from the latch, if you click it in well enough it should hold. Unless it just rips away from itself in which case it's crappy workmanship to begin with.
Old 07-12-2007
...JeRsEy sTyLe...

varner88 is a glorious beacon of lightvarner88 is a glorious beacon of lightvarner88 is a glorious beacon of lightvarner88 is a glorious beacon of lightvarner88 is a glorious beacon of light

well i have the spacers in the hood so the air flows out which that would help too because my strut bar always hits the hood lol. also i tried the wire its not going anywhere with the hinges not wanting to bend that far back an this holding it.. it should work perfect.

i really dont think anything will happen since the latch seems to be built really well
Old 07-12-2007
This is Myspace

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to behold

i dont get it though, in the pic u have the hood open and the wire is extended to i guess its fullest reach..so if it does come undone from the latch, wont it just fly up to that point? which in that case, it wont slam against ur windsheild but ull still have this big hood blocking ur whole view right?? im confused.. maybe its just the pic..
Old 07-12-2007
Registered!!

Alpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz Erthang

Here is an idea, just buy a quality hood from Seibon or VIS and be done with it. You buy crap from eBay, you get crap from eBay.....
Old 07-12-2007
This is Myspace

DsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to behold

true but i think that hood IS a quality one...right varner..or burke or whoever.
Old 07-12-2007
The World Is Yours!

it was quality to me before i sold it, and now Chris has it. and it was a great hood, no cracks
Old 07-12-2007
...JeRsEy sTyLe...

yea actually this hood is built alot better then vis... and who ever said something about quality i have over 14k into my minus whats going in for my frank build i dont wanna here about ebay and spending money on junk..
i have owned 2 vis hoods which are completey junk and there latch systems suck and i also owned a cheapo one which was givin to me that i never put on but evem the cheapo one was better then both vis hoods..
Old 07-12-2007
Registered!!

Alpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz Erthang
Arrow Stop flying off the handle over stupid ****...

Originally Posted by varner88
yea actually this hood is built alot better then vis... and who ever said something about quality i have over 14k into my minus whats going in for my frank build i dont wanna here about ebay and spending money on junk..
i have owned 2 vis hoods which are completey junk and there latch systems suck and i also owned a cheapo one which was givin to me that i never put on but evem the cheapo one was better then both vis hoods..
Looks like to me you should have spent some of that "14k" on an education. Don't tell me you are post grad, from the looks of your posts you failed.

Nobody has accused you of buying anything on eBay. So lose the guilty conscious. It was merely a statement of you get what you pay for.

Old 07-12-2007
...JeRsEy sTyLe...

lmao post grad.. im 19 going to college for criminal justice lmao failed... first off i was top 4% in jersey for highest grades ha this is to funny.

back on topic..
Old 07-12-2007
Registered!!

Arrow I hate MySpace.....

Originally Posted by varner88
lmao post grad.. im 19 going to college for criminal justice lmao failed... first off i was top 4% in jersey for highest grades ha this is to funny.

back on topic..
Alow me to fix this for you.

LMAO, post grad you say?... I'm 19 and going to college for Criminal Justice. Failed you say? I was in the top 4 percentile here in Jersey for highest academic achievement. This is too funny.

If you did not fail the teachers did. I also got that crap from your "MySpace".

Chris's Details

Here for:Friends
Orientation:Straight
Hometown:Most BALLin **** evr sON
Body type:5' 7" / More to love!
Ethnicity:White / Caucasian
Religion:Catholic
Zodiac Sign:Aries
Children:Someday
Education:Post grad
Income:$250,000 and Higher

Last edited by Alpha 5; 07-12-2007 at 10:07 PM.
Old 07-12-2007
...JeRsEy sTyLe...

lol .. sorry i dont type proper on this here internet..

yea im also married a post grad make 250k a year and a landscaper at 19! ha good joke not everything you read on the internet is true.. dude get off my dick
Old 07-12-2007
"mmmBAHHHH" - vtec y0

mugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond repute

haha this thread made me chuckle
Old 07-13-2007
This is Myspace

man wats up with all these guys coming in here running a spell check on everyone? its really not that serious.

by the way Alpha i ran ur revision of Varner's post through word...or something liek it...and gee wiz...they found an error. come on man who cares... ur liek the 10th person ive noticed who wants everyone to be an english scholar...i sure as hell didnt care about english class so...what...that makes me...dumb?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	21.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	71854  
Old 07-13-2007
Registered!!

Lord ET is a glorious beacon of lightLord ET is a glorious beacon of lightLord ET is a glorious beacon of lightLord ET is a glorious beacon of lightLord ET is a glorious beacon of light

Well of course there's an error. It's two sets of punctuation without anything in between.
Old 07-13-2007
The World Is Yours!

so, got some dayllight pics of the hood yet chris?
Old 07-13-2007
This is Myspace

Originally Posted by Lord ET
Well of course there's an error. It's two sets of punctuation without anything in between.
I was just sayin u know? He's **** about his grammar crap like that so might as well... When did we have to use proper english and grammar on forums anyway? Sorry ill let it go...it just pisses me off.

EDIT: hey i just saw ur myspace varner...your gurlfriends hot...

Last edited by DsevenEm2; 07-13-2007 at 12:34 PM.
Old 07-13-2007
Registered!!

gizcivic is an unknown quantity at this point

why dont you go to homedepot and buy plastic cover cables and some looped ends

Last edited by gizcivic; 07-13-2007 at 12:49 PM. Reason: spell
Old 07-13-2007
...JeRsEy sTyLe...

yup thats what i planned on doing i just used what i had around to be safe lol.

hood pics i got on my cam fone ill try to get sum tonite i cant find my digi cam anywhere..

and yes my gf is ****ing gorgeous.. lmao
Old 07-13-2007
Registered!!

bullet02ex will become famous soon enoughbullet02ex will become famous soon enough

look forward to seeing some of the pics. hey i don't type perfect on here ever either, and I'm a criminal justice/sociology major........ must just be something about us 19 year old college students. anyways looks like good work with the hood.
Old 07-13-2007
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,146 Likes on 801 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

i have a seibon cf hood and it takes a bit of force to get it to latch.. i also got hood pins just in case.. lol.. before i found out that i had to take out some of the rubber bump stop things to get it to latch, i just zip tied the latch to my grill to hold it down.. i got hood pins a week and a half afterward
Old 07-16-2007
Registered!!

itskalvin will become famous soon enough

i just got a VIS carbon fiber hood and it is a bit loose where the front hinge is, should i be worried? some of my friends said "stop being such a bitch, it wont rip off." and another friend said "i wouldnt go past 80 with your hood being loose like that." its VIS so should it be made to withstand the wind? it is name brand...
Old 07-16-2007
...JeRsEy sTyLe...

well the few members on here that it happened to where vis hoods.. soo idk
Old 07-16-2007
This is Myspace

haha^
Old 07-16-2007
Registered!!

Re: Stop flying off the handle over stupid ****...

Originally Posted by Sujak
Sounds like a accusation
Accusation, it was not. Merely words of advice. I never accused him of owning a piece of crap from eBay. I simply stated, for all those that may read this thread and that are considering purchasing a CF hood, that you get what you pay for.

So Sujak, I know it is hard but please don't be a Punk ***.

Quick Reply: Solution to running no hood pins with cf and not be scared!