General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

DIY: Change Oil Filter,

Old 01-01-2007
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
k-lines is an unknown quantity at this point
DIY: Change Oil Filter,

All,

I know that this is sound stupid but I couldn't manage to open my Oil Filter. I have bought the Oil Filter wrench but .... I found it very difficult to grasp and open it. I was wondering if you have any tips for me on how to open?

My Car is Civic 2002 Vi and I used this oil filter wrench (
Amazon.com: KD Oil Filter Wrench: Tools & Hardware
)
Should I buy another oil filter wrench?
Old 01-01-2007
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute
just use some elbow grease man.. it may be a royal bitch, but you'll be able to get it off
Old 01-01-2007
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
streetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to all
go to the auto parts store and buy the filter wrench that slips over the end of the filter. then you slip a 3/8 ratchet onto it and remove it.
Old 01-01-2007
Registered!!

DDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of light
I got the same wrench, just make sure you turning counter clockwise
Old 01-02-2007
Registered!!

clock wise? I thought it suppose to be anti-clockwise?
Old 01-02-2007
Yes, it's an Acura EL

TeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to all
COUNTER clockwise. If you get really desperate, take a long flathead screwdriver and jam it into the filter and use that to turn it counterclockwise. I've had to do this once or twice, the Honda and HAMP filters are slippery when you've been working with cars all day.
Old 01-02-2007
Banned

2k3civicSSM is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by k-lines
clock wise? I thought it suppose to be anti-clockwise?
read it again he clearly stated "counter clock-wise"

People need to read We'lll have that one thread all over were the kid stripped the bolt turning it clock wise cause (s2000's are opposite)
Old 01-03-2007
Registered!!

Ok this is my first time.
1) Is it safe to work under your car if I only have one car jack?
2) Should I bought another Oil Filter wrench?

The problem is that it is very difficult to grasp the oil filter using this wrench.
I need to lock down the wrench before I could go anti-clockwise.

Last edited by k-lines; 01-03-2007 at 12:08 AM.
Old 01-03-2007
Registered!!

Amazon.com: Wilmar Universal 3 Jaw Oil Filter Wrench: Automotive

I used to have this wrench but I have swapped over this over the one that I mentioned. Is it me who can't use this wrench or the wrench is really sux, I found it that this wrench couldn't grasp my oil filter very well so what happened is that If I turn clockwise the wrench also go clockwise following my turn.

Last edited by k-lines; 01-03-2007 at 12:24 AM.
Old 01-03-2007
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
streetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to all
like I said go to autozone and buy the filter wrench that slips over the head of the filter. then attach your 3/8 ratchet to it.
Old 01-03-2007
Feel safe at night, sleep with a paramedic.

AmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond repute
wow, maybe you should just take it somewhere.
Old 01-03-2007
Registered!!

Finally, I bought the better wrench and am able to open the oil filter and install the new one! Great! thanks heaps! By the way how do I know I have installed the oil filter correctly? I have tightened the best as I could and I have run the engine for about 5 minutes and I couldn't detect any leak but still because this is my first time I am still afraid that there will be a potential leaking somewhere.

What would be the best for me to make sure that there will be no leaking while I am driving.

thanks!
Old 01-03-2007
Registered!!

Also I believe that I put too much oil to the engine. Its about 0.75-1 cm over the upper limit of the dipstick. Should I care or don't bother?
Old 01-03-2007
Feel safe at night, sleep with a paramedic.

AmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond repute
I'd get a straw.

Seriously, tho, how many qts did you put in??
Old 01-03-2007
Registered!!

Originally Posted by AmbulanceMonkee
I'd get a straw.

Seriously, tho, how many qts did you put in??
hmm ... 1,5 + 2,5 +- roughly about 3.8 - 4.0 litre...
while according to the guide my engline is only required 3.5 litre
Old 01-03-2007
Registered!!

Finally, I bought the better wrench and am able to open the oil filter and install the new one! Great! thanks heaps! By the way how do I know I have installed the oil filter correctly? I have tightened the best as I could and I have run the engine for about 5 minutes and I couldn't detect any leak but still because this is my first time I am still afraid that there will be a potential leaking somewhere.

What would be the best for me to make sure that there will be no leaking while I am driving.

thanks!
Could you please answer this one as well?
Old 01-03-2007
Registered!!

DDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of light
You installed the oil filter correctly if you can screw it on the thread smoothly without force, until it tightens. Just check if there is oil on the ground after you start the car or the next day. Dont forget to tighten the oil drain bolt. I didnt tighten it enough, it would drip very slowly.

And I think you might have to remove some of that extra oil you put in.
Old 01-03-2007
Registered!!

bobsagator is a glorious beacon of lightbobsagator is a glorious beacon of lightbobsagator is a glorious beacon of lightbobsagator is a glorious beacon of lightbobsagator is a glorious beacon of light
hmm ... 1,5 + 2,5 +- roughly about 3.8 - 4.0 litre...
while according to the guide my engline is only required 3.5 litre
I have always put 4 quarts in my car. I've heard some people measuring out to make it closer to what is called for. BTW the service manual calls for the following:
EX/HX: 3.5L or 3.7 quarts with filter change
LX/DX: 3.2L or 3.4 quarts with filter change

I guess if I drove a LX/DX I would try to use a half quart to get closer to the 3.4 quarts. If you put in 4 liters, you probably want to remove some of the excess oil. It would probably be easiest to drain some from the pan. Then check the level on the dipstick to see if you drained too much or not enough...

Did you read the installation directions on the filter? Usually they will say something to the effect of "lube rubber seal on filter with new oil, install until seal meets block, turn additional XX turn." If you put it on too tight, you will have the same problem next time you try to remove the filter.

Apparently there are also filters with marks and numbers on them (arrows, 1 to 4, and 1 to 8). The manual calls for 3/4 turn for arrows and 1 to 4 filters, and 7/8 turn for 1 to 8 filters.
Old 01-05-2007
Registered!!

claythorpe is an unknown quantity at this point
Oh my, dude, no offence but you really need to do more research before you touch anything else. You mentioned you tightened that oil filter as best you could ? You should only tighten it about a 1/4 turn past the touching point , with your hand not even using a wrench !! You may have a really tough time next time you need to change it. Did you check the gasket around your drain plug ? Sometimes it is best just put a new drain plug everytime, for the price of them. I just take my car to Honda for oil changes, they know the cars better than anyone and have the latest and best tools for the job. For they also put a new filter and drain plug on everytime too. I wasn't sure if they actually did all this at first, so I marked the old stuff before i went in and checked after, and they did change them. So Good Job for Honda.