General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

Blue Glow Needles DIY

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2006
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
0H3ebpEM2 will become famous soon enough0H3ebpEM2 will become famous soon enough
Blue Glow Needles DIY

The pictures in the Blue Glow Needles DIY doesn't show up on my computer. Is their something im doing wrong or are the pictures not hosted anymore. Any help would be greatly appreciated because im trying to do this on my car and it makes it easier if you have pictures to relate to.
Old 12-01-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sql_civic is a glorious beacon of lightsql_civic is a glorious beacon of lightsql_civic is a glorious beacon of lightsql_civic is a glorious beacon of lightsql_civic is a glorious beacon of lightsql_civic is a glorious beacon of light
Blue glow needles sounds cool. I hafta check that out.
Old 12-01-2006
Registered!!

_unclejuice is a jewel in the rough_unclejuice is a jewel in the rough_unclejuice is a jewel in the rough
pictures arent hosted anymore. ive got some pics for the 04-05 blue led cluster if thats what youre talkin about. if youre doin 01-03 ive got all the bulbs and bulb covers ill sell you. i bought the wrong bulbs for my cluster.
Old 12-01-2006
Registered!!

0H3ebpEM2 will become famous soon enough0H3ebpEM2 will become famous soon enough
^^^^^^^^^^
yeah sure i would like to see the pics if you wouldnt mind. my email address is airheadsman13@hotmail.com. What kind of bulbs are you selling for the 01-03 civic? also do you know if they make white face gauges for a 03 honda civic HX. Also do you know if i can change the color of the gauges in that car
Old 12-02-2006
Registered!!

DieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of light
i'd like to see the pics too. PM'ed my email address.

could u post them in this thread?
Old 12-02-2006
Registered!!

_unclejuice is a jewel in the rough_unclejuice is a jewel in the rough_unclejuice is a jewel in the rough
that is the 04-05 cluster. it is a very hard conversion because you have to break the original leds off the curciut board and custom fit and wire all those leds. theres almost 40 leds in that conversion. the 01-03 is much easier and all it requires is removing the original bulbs and replacing it with blue leds and cleaning the orange filter off the cluster.

http://www.7thgencivic.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=231594

that is the DIY for the 01-03 cluster conversion. i have all 13 led's and all 10 bulb covers needed for the DIY. never been used, still in original packaging ill sell if anyone needs them. they wont work on my cluster.
Old 12-02-2006
Registered!!

AequitasVeritas is an unknown quantity at this point
thats pimp. do you happen to know what voltage those LED's are for the 04 EX?
Old 12-02-2006
New Mod on the Block

Rennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond repute
they changed the gauge cluster in 03. so its 01-02 and 03-05. just fo you guys know.
Old 12-02-2006
Registered!!

the 03-05 leds you have to buy yourself. theyre not listed as cluster leds. you dont even wire them up like the originals. the original leds are built into the circuit board and you just take a pair of pliers and break them off. all the leds are 3 volt.
Old 12-06-2006
Registered!!

slowcivic2die4 is an unknown quantity at this point
Someone should make DIY for the 03-05 cluster!!
Old 12-06-2006
Registered!!

2K5CIVICBOY20 is an unknown quantity at this point
uncle juice..thats hott man...i like that alot! how long did that take you???
Old 12-06-2006
420 Member

BlackKnight008 has a spectacular aura aboutBlackKnight008 has a spectacular aura aboutBlackKnight008 has a spectacular aura about
yea I would also love as diy for the 03-05
Old 12-06-2006
Registered!!

the 03-05 cluster is very diffifult. that pic is actually one gearbox did but the needles didnt work right after he put it back together. something is funky with the cluster and if you put too much strain on the needles when taking them off you have to buy a new cluster. i guess i just got lucky when i took mine apart. ill try to do a diy on it when i take my cluster back out to mold my vafc-ii. the conversion takes a while because you have to wire all the leds together and there are about 36 of them and they all have to be wired in. then you have to clean the filter off the needles and guage faces and then you have to wire it into a switch power in your car. but, you wont see many people with them.
Old 12-06-2006
Registered!!

irishcommie is an unknown quantity at this point
are those LEDs shaved?
Old 12-06-2006
You Stay Classy, San Diego

jamis33 is just really nicejamis33 is just really nicejamis33 is just really nicejamis33 is just really nice
Does anyone have the blue leds with the existing orange/red needles that would look awesome
Old 12-08-2006
Registered!!

what do you mean by shaved led's? i sanded the tips of the new blue ones to diffuse the light a little. gearbox came up with that idea. and i dont think the blue led's with orange neddles will work unless you dont destroy the original led that lights them. then youre going to have a mush of different colored lights behind the cluster.
Old 12-08-2006
Registered!!

jnlzr is an unknown quantity at this point
can u send me it too.. i wanna see the 04-05 cluster jnlzeror@gmail.com
Old 12-08-2006
Registered!!

pics are on the 1st page yo.
Old 12-11-2006
Registered!!

when you say the 03-05 is difficult, why is it that you feel it is difficult? Soldering LED's in isn't too difficult at least to me. any insight on the reason its difficult would be appricitated.
Old 12-12-2006
Registered!!

anyone?
Old 12-12-2006
Registered!!

because you have to place and mount all the leds. its not a pulg and play install. maybe difficult was the wrong word. if you have some know how it shouldnt be a problem.
Old 12-12-2006
Registered!!

fantastic. sounds like a nice project while i am getting my tie rods and wheel bearings replaced tomorrow.

I appriciate the insight.
Old 12-12-2006
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
i tried, then the needles would not go back on and work. so i threw the whole thing away. heres how i mounted them tho. but it didnt matter it was all junked

Old 12-12-2006
Registered!!

good luck and post pics when youre finished. ive got a wiring diagram somewhere that gearbox did that might help to get you started.
Old 12-12-2006
Registered!!

i dont know why your needles didnt work after you finished. i noticed mine were slightly bouncy after i got mine back together. atleast the speedo was. everything else is fine. i think the little probe that goes from the needle to the cluster is very sensitive.
Old 12-12-2006
Registered!!

were the LED's marked +/-?

also, any hints at how to keep the needles operating?

and, are the LED's standard size?

Last edited by AequitasVeritas; 12-12-2006 at 05:10 PM. Reason: heh, not to mention, i can tape over my SRS light while I'm at it. Stupid racing seat/Harness....
Old 12-12-2006
Registered!!

ive heard some of the led's of ebay are marked and if you hook them up backwards they exploe. sounds a little off to me. they might be marked right if you buy from a good and reputable dealer. the needles working after reinstallation is another issue. you just have to get lucky and be very ****ing gentle like its a new born baby or something. and the led's i used and i think gearbox used too were 5mm.
Old 12-12-2006
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
idk, i was very careful, i never messed up an 01-02 cluster before. these the lil pins came out with the small needles and when i pushed them in they were just loose the needle was just sitting there not moving. the bigger needles would go in softly but they would just jerk around or sit at one spot like 40mph. i tried for an hour different ways but no use.

here is stuff that might help for led wiring. you also need a resistor calculator, im not at home so i dont have the link. but i think i already posted this stuff in lighting forum.

Old 12-12-2006
Registered!!

+1 gearbox. good pics. when i pulled my cluster apart the pins the needles ride on didnt come out with the needles. they stayed in the hole. if i pushed the needles back on even a little too tight they ****ed up and i had to pull them back off and start over. also, getting the guages to read right again is a bitch and a half. i let my car warm up and set my temp, tach, and fuel. then i hit 3000 rpm in 5th gear and set the speedo needle because i didnt have anyone to tail and set it.

edit: youll have to wait on that rep. all repped out for the day.

Last edited by _unclejuice; 12-12-2006 at 08:19 PM.
Old 12-14-2006
Registered!!

so, i am attempting this as we speak. i am going a different route than y'all.

I am rewiring the circuit board and i found that the factory LED's are 2.6v.

so, whee!!!

I'll post pics asap

Quick Reply: Blue Glow Needles DIY