General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

DIY auto to manual tranny swap!?

Old 10-05-2006
Show and Go. N/A is BEST.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TeamSF_em2 will become famous soon enoughTeamSF_em2 will become famous soon enough
DIY auto to manual tranny swap!?

i did a search on this, didnt find what i was looking for more like people just rambling on the topic but nothing all too specific. im still in the middle of picking up all the parts but i only have a ball park view of what exactly needs to be done. anyone seen/have a step by step DIY!? can i use the same hardware from the auto setup for the manual setup and also can anyone tell me if im missing anything on the part list for the swap!?

Tranny (w/ flywheel & pressure plate)
Tranny Starter
Tranny mount
Subframe
Axles
Clutch Solenoid
Hard & Soft Clutch lines
Master Clutch Cylinder
Slave Cylinder
Shift Linkage
Shifter Assembly
Pedal Assembly
ECU

Help a guy out.
Old 10-05-2006
Registered!!

1_SiK_CiViC is an unknown quantity at this point
How much did you get your manual tranny for?
Old 10-05-2006
Registered!!

civicspeedster is an unknown quantity at this point
hey I don't know about this but if you do it pm me with details and **** cause i really wanan do it to my v6 coupe accord
Old 10-05-2006

TeamSF_em2 will become famous soon enoughTeamSF_em2 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by 1_SiK_CiViC
How much did you get your manual tranny for?
I got about half the parts already from Mexination on here for $520. It really depends on where you go and who you get it from. I know a guy that got ALL the parts for a tranny swap for $650. Ive seen low milage trannys go for 350-500. But I got a good deal because there was like 70k on an 04 tranny. If you dont swap yourself you could be paying like almost $1500 for a shop to do it for you(parts and labor). the way i see it, id rather buy all the parts and do it myself because the money i would spend on labor could be spent on tools id need for the swap and tools id need in the future.

Originally Posted by civicspeedster
hey I don't know about this but if you do it pm me with details and **** cause i really wanan do it to my v6 coupe accord
what year accord do you have? from what i heard some of the v6 accord's were never made availabe in manual. but then again i dont really have a care for the accords, so hell if i know. i think the 07 comes in manual tho. if i were you id do some serious searching for your accord first, cuz i dont even think you can convert it bro. GL on that tho.

Last edited by TeamSF_em2; 10-05-2006 at 05:35 AM.
Old 10-05-2006
Registered!!

xdee716 is an unknown quantity at this point
making a car from 4AT to 5MT.... can't wait to see it!

good luck on that, i wish i can do the same **** too, but im a low tech person with no money lol ... 1500 is just way too much for me.
Old 10-05-2006
Registered!!

xylamic is an unknown quantity at this point
If you switch the ECU, you always have to either switch the key assembly to match or reprogram the code in the ECU (I have heard Honda can do this). If you do not change the ECU, you will get a check engine light, but it will work.

I went the route of a new ECU and key, so no check engine light.
Old 10-05-2006

Yea that ECU thing sucks, i know the auto ecu and be used to swap to manual and i heard theres a trick to it so that theres no check engine light problem, you just have to do some rewiring on the ecu. but since i dont know jack about rewiring and what wires do what im just gonna have honda reprogram the code to match my key.
Old 10-05-2006

Originally Posted by Sujak
find a local import performance shop hopefully one that deals with hondas, i got quoted from one for $1500 including all parts and labor.

will save you A LOT of hassle trying to find the parts.
well they're alot of parts that i can get from pick and pull yards in good condition on top of that i have majority of the parts already i just need a few other small things that i can get from honda. i never found it to be a hassle to find parts, hell thats one of the joys of working on cars man, being able to know your own sh_t and do it on your own.

besides, i wouldnt pay 1500 just for a shop to do a conversion. even if it was parts and labor. ive spent a little over 650 on parts and i got another 100 maybe to get everything. thats like paying 850 for labor for a shop to do a whole day job. thats deserves a thanks but no thanks.
Old 10-05-2006

Originally Posted by xdee716
making a car from 4AT to 5MT.... can't wait to see it!

good luck on that, i wish i can do the same **** too, but im a low tech person with no money lol ... 1500 is just way too much for me.
1500? yea, i feel the same way. ill be keeping people posted for sure and most likely will end up making DIY myself for the future
Old 10-05-2006
...JeRsEy sTyLe...

varner88 is a glorious beacon of lightvarner88 is a glorious beacon of lightvarner88 is a glorious beacon of lightvarner88 is a glorious beacon of lightvarner88 is a glorious beacon of light
im already in the middle of the swap im waiting for my car to get out of the bodyshop so i can finish it.. you need engine harness and dash harness if you switching ecu's dont forget to reflash its about 150 so add that to your list im gonna gound my ecu out to make it work with the swap.

your also gonna need flywheel cover
never heard of a clutch solenoid?
our cars dont have linkage there cables
depending on what yeart you have for 25 bux you can get a brand new console insert with shift boot from honda

i posted pictures and alot of info in another thread sumwhere on the site
Old 10-05-2006
Smuggling bananas and mexicans all for one low price...
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

TheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond repute
Yeah, they need a DIY for the auto to manual swap. It would be helpful so that I could do my own k swap and do the auto to manual conversion at the same time. Also, you shouldent need a new dash harness.
Old 10-05-2006
...JeRsEy sTyLe...

varner88 is a glorious beacon of lightvarner88 is a glorious beacon of lightvarner88 is a glorious beacon of lightvarner88 is a glorious beacon of lightvarner88 is a glorious beacon of light
yea you need the dash harness for the clutch sensors.
Old 10-05-2006

Originally Posted by varner88
im already in the middle of the swap im waiting for my car to get out of the bodyshop so i can finish it.. you need engine harness and dash harness if you switching ecu's dont forget to reflash its about 150 so add that to your list im gonna gound my ecu out to make it work with the swap.

your also gonna need flywheel cover
never heard of a clutch solenoid?
our cars dont have linkage there cables
depending on what yeart you have for 25 bux you can get a brand new console insert with shift boot from honda

i posted pictures and alot of info in another thread sumwhere on the site
ill be lucky if i can get that at a pick and pull. if thats the case i should just reflash my auto ECU to manual. the clutch solenoid is connected to the tranny then the shift cables.

i got an 04 ex still think 25 for console!?
Old 10-06-2006
Registered!!

I say if you can get all those parts and labor for $1500, go do it. The number of parts needed for our car are much more than older civics. Parts are very expensive.
Old 10-06-2006

parts maybe expensive but if your in an area where parts are easy to get at junk yards and you enjoy DIY i say DIY. when the older civics were new it was the same situation. people still would search for parts and DIY

its matter of whos willing to put their blood swet and tears into what they do and those who would rather just pay to have eveything handed to them.
Old 10-06-2006
...JeRsEy sTyLe...

just looked again and theres no clutch solenoid that connects to the tranny or the shift cables.
Old 10-06-2006
Registered!!

I was saying if by some chance you CAN get parts and labor for $1500, do it, because all the junk yards around houston were saying close to $2000 just for all the pieces that are needed for our cars.
Old 10-06-2006

well that sucks that in houston 2k is for all the parts... man im paying under a grand.
Old 10-06-2006

Originally Posted by varner88
just looked again and theres no clutch solenoid that connects to the tranny or the shift cables.
did i say shift cables!? whoops. i meant the clutch lines. it part of the clutch's hydraulic system. how can i explain it better... at the end of the clutch lines and that connect to the tranny to
Old 10-06-2006
...JeRsEy sTyLe...

in the end youll be close to 1500 trust me all the little odds and ends you dont think of or if the tranny is missing parts like change wire stay and speed and reverse sensors..
Old 10-06-2006
...JeRsEy sTyLe...

Originally Posted by TeamSF_em2
did i say shift cables!? whoops. i meant the clutch lines. it part of the clutch's hydraulic system. how can i explain it better... at the end of the clutch lines and that connect to the tranny to
thats the slave cylinder
Old 10-06-2006

on the other side of the clutch lines not the slave cylinder
Old 10-08-2006
Registered!!

Civicman1988 is a glorious beacon of lightCivicman1988 is a glorious beacon of lightCivicman1988 is a glorious beacon of lightCivicman1988 is a glorious beacon of lightCivicman1988 is a glorious beacon of lightCivicman1988 is a glorious beacon of light
I have pedals if your interested?
Old 10-08-2006

how much!?
Old 10-08-2006
Registered!!

Civicman1988 is a glorious beacon of lightCivicman1988 is a glorious beacon of lightCivicman1988 is a glorious beacon of lightCivicman1988 is a glorious beacon of lightCivicman1988 is a glorious beacon of lightCivicman1988 is a glorious beacon of light
PM sent
Old 10-09-2006
Registered!!

EM2 Bluez is an unknown quantity at this point
Do you really need the subframe? and axles??
Old 10-10-2006

you dont really need subframe cuz the tranny mount will supoort it but the manual subframe supports the tranny in a different area than the auto subframe.

axles you do need since the tranny is smaller.
Old 10-10-2006
Boost is so good make you wanna slap ya mamma
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

red_sun is on a distinguished road
You need a manual tranny subframe or you will need to cut off and reweld the front tranny mount on your auto subframe because the mounting point is moved over little on manual trannys.
Old 11-25-2006
Registered!!

trurace is a jewel in the roughtrurace is a jewel in the roughtrurace is a jewel in the roughtrurace is a jewel in the rough
My tranny just blew AGAIN, so time for manual swap. Quick question..

Do I need a to swap ECU? or could I just use the ECU I have now?
Old 12-30-2006
...JeRsEy sTyLe...

just finished the auto to manual conversion

you can use auto wiring and auto ecu to complete the swap you dont need anything but wiring wise.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: DIY auto to manual tranny swap!?