General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

what paint for fog lights?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2006
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
what paint for fog lights?

anyone tell me what type of transparent colored paint they used to paint their foglights yellow, and do they have other colors, where did you buy? is it spray can or paint brush? thanks. i want the stuff that wont mess up from heat.
Old 06-23-2006
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
djrabbi is a name known to alldjrabbi is a name known to alldjrabbi is a name known to alldjrabbi is a name known to alldjrabbi is a name known to alldjrabbi is a name known to alldjrabbi is a name known to all
u mean like a tint spray??? ummm hit up ebay
Old 06-23-2006
Registered!!

gaugeof12 has a spectacular aura aboutgaugeof12 has a spectacular aura about
Gear, the couple of posts I have read about painting fogs always seem to mention Krylon Stained glass paint. Looks like there are a few colors.

http://www.misterart.com/store/view/...***-Colors.htm
Old 06-23-2006
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
thanks, do you know any stores that carry it?
Old 06-23-2006
...JeRsEy sTyLe...

varner88 is a glorious beacon of lightvarner88 is a glorious beacon of lightvarner88 is a glorious beacon of lightvarner88 is a glorious beacon of lightvarner88 is a glorious beacon of light
walmart and home depot cary the transparent paint
Old 06-23-2006
Premium Member

sweet thanks everyone
Old 06-23-2006
Registered!!

dj02 is a name known to alldj02 is a name known to alldj02 is a name known to alldj02 is a name known to alldj02 is a name known to alldj02 is a name known to alldj02 is a name known to alldj02 is a name known to all
why not go with http://www.lamin-x.com/
Old 06-23-2006
Premium Member

because i have projectors with tiny curved lens, and because i dont want them to look yellow on the outside. nor do i want melted plastic all over.
Old 06-23-2006
For every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you.

blackBDMcivicLX has a brilliant futureblackBDMcivicLX has a brilliant futureblackBDMcivicLX has a brilliant futureblackBDMcivicLX has a brilliant futureblackBDMcivicLX has a brilliant futureblackBDMcivicLX has a brilliant futureblackBDMcivicLX has a brilliant futureblackBDMcivicLX has a brilliant futureblackBDMcivicLX has a brilliant futureblackBDMcivicLX has a brilliant futureblackBDMcivicLX has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by gaugeof12
Gear, the couple of posts I have read about painting fogs always seem to mention Krylon Stained glass paint. Looks like there are a few colors.

http://www.misterart.com/store/view/...***-Colors.htm
it says ***-colors
Old 06-23-2006
Registered!!

GNX423 is an unknown quantity at this point
any art store should have a good selection. Or sodium filled bulbs, ie lexus IS fogs.
Old 06-23-2006
Premium Member

jeez went to all hardware and walmart, nothing. finally got amber from michaels, no yellow, so the fogs will have to wait.
Old 06-23-2006
Banned

djrabbi is a name known to alldjrabbi is a name known to alldjrabbi is a name known to alldjrabbi is a name known to alldjrabbi is a name known to alldjrabbi is a name known to alldjrabbi is a name known to all
y not go to a art store..... they def. have it.... i can pick u up a can... but i live in NJ..... lol
Old 06-23-2006
RHCP0801 is my hero

1sykcivic has a reputation beyond repute1sykcivic has a reputation beyond repute1sykcivic has a reputation beyond repute1sykcivic has a reputation beyond repute1sykcivic has a reputation beyond repute1sykcivic has a reputation beyond repute1sykcivic has a reputation beyond repute1sykcivic has a reputation beyond repute1sykcivic has a reputation beyond repute1sykcivic has a reputation beyond repute1sykcivic has a reputation beyond repute
laminx wont melt, i have it , besides its meant for foglights/headlights
Old 06-23-2006
Premium Member

well the amber is actually yellow with first few thin coats, so im gonna try it. i think it gonna work but im gonna need to buy more cans tonight.
Old 06-25-2006
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
rice4lyfe will become famous soon enough
which can did you buy? Brand and stuff? Will this work with corner bulbs too? Thanks
Old 06-26-2006
Registered!!

stephenb80 is an unknown quantity at this point
does anyone know if this stuff is heat proof, like will it get hot and catch on fire haha..
Old 06-30-2006
Premium Member

i bought the yellow amber one from michaels. works well in combination with nokya yellow bulbs

Old 06-30-2006
Registered!!

Civicman1988 is a glorious beacon of lightCivicman1988 is a glorious beacon of lightCivicman1988 is a glorious beacon of lightCivicman1988 is a glorious beacon of lightCivicman1988 is a glorious beacon of lightCivicman1988 is a glorious beacon of light
use a heat paint.
Old 06-30-2006
Premium Member

here they are, turned out nice

Old 07-03-2006
Smuggling bananas and mexicans all for one low price...

TheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond repute
Hmmm. My OEM fogs with nokia hyper yellow bulbs just burned my laminx... perhaps I should go this route. How did you apply it gear.
Old 07-03-2006
Premium Member

lol. ya laminx and nokya dont mix. the H4 nokya are already really yellow, my H3 nokya however were not, so i had to paint the reflector. you could just paint the reflector on yours, or you could do the inside housing or outside. you just spray the stuff on. i haven't had problems of it melting and the bulb is 2mm from the painted reflector. just let it dry for a couple hours. i didnt even wait that long tho. put on a few coats to where its a good yellow color.
Old 07-03-2006
Registered!!

ctx66 will become famous soon enoughctx66 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Civicman1988
use a heat paint.
I was thinkin that too. fogs get very, very hot. looks like they came out nice, id just hope the paint doesnt get screwed up from heat
Old 07-03-2006
Premium Member

i've been using it for hours at a time in 80F weather, they still look nice and yellow. but i will open them up tonight just to see what happened before i aim them.
Old 07-03-2006

TheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond repute
Hmmmm. I was thinking of painting (well, tinting) the chrome relectors on the inside too, and doing the actual glass area. I'll run to Michaels tomorrow and see if I can get some of this stuff.
Old 07-03-2006
Premium Member

you could do both, i just didnt want my fogs looking yellow so i only painted the inside reflector (which isnt visible if you have projector fogs. since you have halogen, i would say paint whatever you can. i know people have painted the outer lens and not had any burning problems.
Old 07-03-2006

Hmmm. Perhaps I'll start by painting the outer glass, see how that fairs me for a while, and then try the reflector if I need more. I was also looking at buying the ebay fogs that already were yellow, but I'm skeptical.
Old 07-03-2006
Premium Member

no those are silly and you can do the same by painting yours. ya start with the outside, because once you paint the reflector, you cut down on the brightness. Mine are still fairly bright at night, but they are just for show anyway. A lil better than parking lights and i only use em at night in bad weather. i could just go without em. i was actually thinking about just taking all of it out and putting black mesh grill on the bottom but idk. too much work.
Old 07-03-2006

Yeah, I feel ya. I would imagine tinting it yelow like you did would pretty much give me the same lighting effect as me having the lamin-x (since when it DID work it looked sweet as hell lol). Ok, stupid question, but the picture you posted, the light is YELLOW in real life, right. Beacuse pcitures can be misleading for color sometimes. I'm just trying to work up the nerve to shove spray paint on my 100 dollar oem foglights :-/
Old 07-03-2006
Premium Member

ya mine were 100 too for just the projector lol. but imo it just doesnt match having it white. i will try and take more pics tonight on a concrete pavement because yea that pic looks nothing like the real color. with just the nokyas, it was terrible, just a lil yellow, then after painting it got dimmer but much more yellow. look for a few pics tonight. also if you just paint the lens, im sure you can use an alcohol to strip it off. but if you spray the chrome, count on it flaking off if you remove it.
Old 07-03-2006

Yeah. But like I said, I would imagine the light difference for the lamin-x and the paint would be the same... for output. I mean when the lamin-x was working MAN it looked good. It was a nice bright yellow. Basically I'm looking for sometihng to mimic the lamin-x, sans burning I'd imagine using this paint on the lense is the answer.

Quick Reply: what paint for fog lights?