General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

Blacked out OEM lights

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2006
Dain Bramaged.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jester444 is an unknown quantity at this point
Blacked out OEM lights

Yes, I searched for this.

I want to black out the OEM lights on my '01 coupe because frankly, I'm tired of seeing 17 cars EXACTLY like mine whenever I go out. And it'll look pimpin, of course. But for the life of me, I can't find a DIY article anywhere on this site. I've seen lots of references to a DIY, but I can't find one anywhere. Please help.

Jake
Old 06-02-2006
Wanna see a donkey show?

cg95660 is an unknown quantity at this point
Its not that hard you just have to be careful when pulling them apart. I also recommend 3m window sealer it never dries just like the oem stuff and mine have not leaked since I did it more than 7 months ago!
Old 06-02-2006
Registered!!

Honda_Inspired is an unknown quantity at this point
Invest in a heat gun!!! I should have written a DIY when I did mine lol.... but it's really easy. Once you take off your bumper the rest just requires a lot of patience.
Old 06-02-2006
Don't be a n00b, search ftw
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future
Okay, here's the DIY

Remove headlights from car

Turn oven to 250, let warm up

Pop clips off of the headlight housing

Put lights onto baking tray and let sit in oven for 2 minutes

Separate lense from housing

There will be one or two screws (Can't remember) holding the cover onto the lense. Remove the screw(s) and set aside. Now what you have to do is very carefully remove the cover from the lense. I had to bend mine slightly, but take your time and you'll get it. If you get those apart, then you'll be ready to paint them. The only other variable is wether to leave the amber piece out, or leave it in, or like I did, smoke it out. The power is in your hands.
Old 06-02-2006
Life is better with 5lug

HondaKorn is a name known to allHondaKorn is a name known to allHondaKorn is a name known to allHondaKorn is a name known to allHondaKorn is a name known to allHondaKorn is a name known to allHondaKorn is a name known to allHondaKorn is a name known to allHondaKorn is a name known to all
def get a heat gun, i got one at walmart for 23$ tax included......
Old 06-02-2006
Dain Bramaged.

Hmm... Yeah, I just pulled the bumper off and was lookin at the headlight assembly just so I'd know exactly what you guys were talkin about. It looks like I may not need a heat gun, I think I'll just try the oven trick. If that doesn't work, I've got a small butane torch that'll do the trick, if I'm careful. What kind of paint would you guys reccommend? Any pictures would be welcome.
Old 06-02-2006
THE LONE STAR STATE

texascivic2k1 is a glorious beacon of lighttexascivic2k1 is a glorious beacon of lighttexascivic2k1 is a glorious beacon of lighttexascivic2k1 is a glorious beacon of lighttexascivic2k1 is a glorious beacon of lighttexascivic2k1 is a glorious beacon of light
Old 06-02-2006

01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future
I used gloss black Krylon Fusion
Old 06-02-2006
Dain Bramaged.

I'll have to try that. Has the heat affected it at all? That's the only thing I'd be worried about, using spary paint like that. Did you just mask off the amber lens, or remove it and replace it?

And oh yeah, I might do a DIY on this with full pictures when I do it, just so it's out there.
Old 06-02-2006

I haven't noticed any flaking at all. When I put it on, it was dry within 15 minutes and it hasn't came off since. It says it's fully chip proof after 7 days, so I think it's good to go.

I painted the entire amber lens with a light coating of said Krylon Fusion. I think in the future I'm going to take them apart again, completely paint the amber piece so it's not translucent, and drill a hole in the amber piece for just a single beam of light to go through. It'll look a lot cleaner when lit up.
Old 06-02-2006
Dain Bramaged.

But if you paint over the amber piece completely, how is the turn signal going to be visible?
Old 06-02-2006

Through the hole that I plan to drill, to make it a single beam of light instead of one that just shows through the black. About a one incher should do it
Old 06-02-2006
Dain Bramaged.

Oh, for some reason I was thinking a hole about1/16"... Didn't see how that was going to work. Can you just put in an amber bulb and either remove or clear out the amber lens?
Old 06-02-2006

Yeah, You can just get an amber bulb and leave it out
Old 06-02-2006
Dain Bramaged.

I think that's what I'll do, then. Can I get one at an auto parts store like O'Reilly's or some place like that?
Old 06-02-2006

Most likely. I know when I checked Wal-Mart they didn't have 7443's in Amber, only in clear. so I just left mine clear. But I'll need to get an amber one when I do that thing with the lense.
Old 06-03-2006
Dain Bramaged.

Alright, I'm finally done with this.

I decided to just leave them clear, I may just paint them later. But's here's how it went down. I pulled off the bumper with only minor complaints from the annoying little plastic clips (you guys know what I mean) and removed the headlights as per the service manual. HonderCivic, you are my hero. The oven trick worked exactly as advertised. I pulled them apart and then removed the lense and the turn signal bulbs.
Okay, time for a side tangent. About 8:00 last night I went to the O'Reilly's on Granbury, after calling and recieving verbal assurances that "Sure, we've got 'em." Well, I get there, and of course, they don't got 'em. They've only got clear, which isn't gonna work since I'm removing the amber lens. So I go to the AutoZone on McCart south of Alta Mesa, and tell them what I need. They say, "Oh, sure, we've even got another brand that's cheaper. Sure enough, their computer says COMPARE TO ORIGINAL on the screen. So I go get them off the rack (part #168NA, maybe? Found out later they're the little bulbs that go in the circular receptacle, some kind of safety lights.) and with a skeptical look, fork over $8. (I also bought a copy of Super Street) I go home, hold them up to the car and lo and behold, they're not the right ones. So I go back to Auto Zone and ask for the right ones. They look in their computer and say, "oh yeah, here's the right number. Of course I didn't completely trust them, so I brought along the OEM clear bulb. They go over to the rack with me, and there's an empty slot right where the bulbs should be hanging. Of course. So they tell me I can go to the other store 4 miles up the road north of Berry and they'll have them there. I go up there, and after about 30 minutes of waiting for them to find it in the back, I head out. I run by Wal-Mart to pick up the silicone window sealant, and by the time I get home, it's about 12:30. So, of course, I get down to business and finish up around 2:00 AM.
End result: some fine looking headlights. I decided not to paint them, at least not for the time being. I like the cleared out look. And the amber bulbs (part #7443A) provide more than enough amber-ness to be safe and not **** off any cops. Thanks a bunch for all the help, there will be some rep spread around. Return the love.

Jake
Old 06-03-2006
Registered!!

depotcivic has a spectacular aura aboutdepotcivic has a spectacular aura aboutdepotcivic has a spectacular aura about
pics!!!
Old 06-03-2006
Wanna see a donkey show?

You will eventually want to go black. I am so glad I did. I have had people ask about my swapped buckets and I have to explain what I did to my oems. I also second the pics!
Old 06-03-2006
Registered!!

boxcarracer is a jewel in the roughboxcarracer is a jewel in the roughboxcarracer is a jewel in the rough
http://www.7thgencivic.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=203502

BEST DIY for blacking out i used this
Old 06-03-2006
Registered!!

DDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of light
I hear its gonna be hard to take apart the lights again once you have resealed it with silicone, since silicone has a higher heat resistance.
Old 06-03-2006
Wanna see a donkey show?

Originally Posted by DDragon7
I hear its gonna be hard to take apart the lights again once you have resealed it with silicone, since silicone has a higher heat resistance.

That sounds about right. I did not use any heat at all. I just carefully pulled them apart. I also tried to stick to oem sealant. The 3m stuff is messy as hell just have some acetone ready lol.
Old 06-06-2006
Registered!!

BSonly is an unknown quantity at this point
Hey Texaxcivic2k1! post up a picture of the headlights on your car. good job by the way
Old 06-06-2006
Registered!!

bobsagator is a glorious beacon of lightbobsagator is a glorious beacon of lightbobsagator is a glorious beacon of lightbobsagator is a glorious beacon of lightbobsagator is a glorious beacon of light
FYI, the DIY to clear the headlights is located in the DIY Section
Old 06-06-2006
THE LONE STAR STATE

texascivic2k1 is a glorious beacon of lighttexascivic2k1 is a glorious beacon of lighttexascivic2k1 is a glorious beacon of lighttexascivic2k1 is a glorious beacon of lighttexascivic2k1 is a glorious beacon of lighttexascivic2k1 is a glorious beacon of light
Hey jester444, I didn't even notice where you lived until you mentioned all those streets in your story (post#17). I am in that area frequently... I could have helped a little.

Now you need to post pics... maybe I might recognized your car.

Originally Posted by BSonly
Hey Texaxcivic2k1! post up a picture of the headlights on your car. good job by the way
Thanks. This upcoming weekend I will be taking pics of all the new stuff I have done. I'll start a new thread hopefully by next Monday.