General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

Driver seat foam removal?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cloudy is an unknown quantity at this point
Driver seat foam removal?

Not sure what was the best forum for this and searches didnt show up exactly what I was looking for. But here goes....

My 2002 Civic LX sedan driver seat is killing my back!! I'm used to mid size cars which have alot softer seats. Really like the car but my back is just about shot. We talked about replacement seats...but I want stock looking ones that use the OEM seatbelts...not easy to find. I've heard the SI Civic has nice seats though not sure if they'd fit in or if the boneyards even have any.

I tried different seat cushions but those suck. So...someone suggested trying to replace the OEM foam. Not sure how to remove the seat covering(still searching the net) but has anyone done that and seen how the foam is attached to the back section of the front seat?

Maybe buy some memory foam and replace the section my back sits into....?

TIA!!
Old 02-21-2006
Registered!!

bluestreak is an unknown quantity at this point
don't know, but alot of my friends complain the seats suck as well.
Old 02-21-2006
Registered!!

Originally Posted by bluestreak
don't know, but alot of my friends complain the seats suck as well.
Yea...these are the worst seats I've ever sat in. Not sure whats missing...either to hard or bad lumbar support.

Removing them looks easy....but how the hell do you get those covers off!?!?
Hope they arent factory sewed at the very bottom.
Old 02-21-2006
Formerly efil on evol on

Cptn. Slow has a spectacular aura aboutCptn. Slow has a spectacular aura aboutCptn. Slow has a spectacular aura about
RSX seats are the ****. Very easy to make fit and the driver's seat has adjustable lower back support

Old 02-21-2006
Registered!!

fallout is a jewel in the roughfallout is a jewel in the roughfallout is a jewel in the roughfallout is a jewel in the rough
I need to get those covers off too. Not because my back is killing me or anything. I just want to mount my amp back there. Lol.
Old 02-21-2006
Formerly efil on evol on

Cptn. Slow has a spectacular aura aboutCptn. Slow has a spectacular aura aboutCptn. Slow has a spectacular aura about
^^mounting an amp on the front seat? never seen that
Old 02-21-2006
Registered!!

Originally Posted by fallout
I need to get those covers off too. Not because my back is killing me or anything. I just want to mount my amp back there. Lol.
LOL....cool....crank that baby up and the heat would make my back feel great!

The only place I can see that the covers come off is on the very bottom...maybe the two sections of the cover(front/back) are latched together somehow. Hopefully someone will know how to get them off.
Old 02-21-2006
Registered!!

fallout is a jewel in the roughfallout is a jewel in the roughfallout is a jewel in the roughfallout is a jewel in the rough
^^ Well not on the seat, but on the back of the front and passenger seat.
I have 3 amps and two 15's. The amps are all 17in each so they dont fit in the trunk with the 15's. If i can remove the covers and the foam, maybe i can stuff the amps in there. Lol. It'll also be a custom seat warmer!!

I'll take a look at it after i get home from class.

I think i have too much creativity for my own good.
Old 02-21-2006
Registered!!

bluestreak is an unknown quantity at this point
^becareful with the amps though, I had hollowed out a piece of foam insulation in my old 300zx to mount an amp and it ended up overheating.
FYI, use an additional fan or something, so you don't overheat
Old 02-22-2006
There is gl@ss in my @SS...
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

drew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond repute
Try either buying the RSX seats or the SI seats, you won't regret getting those seats. I think the 7thgen Honda Seats are the most terrible seats for comfort and have to be the ugliest ever! Damn i can't wait till my new Recaro Speed Seats are in!

Originally Posted by fallout
^^ Well not on the seat, but on the back of the front and passenger seat.
I have 3 amps and two 15's. The amps are all 17in each so they dont fit in the trunk with the 15's. If i can remove the covers and the foam, maybe i can stuff the amps in there. Lol. It'll also be a custom seat warmer!!

I'll take a look at it after i get home from class.

I think i have too much creativity for my own good.
I'm sorry but thats about retarded if your gonna mount your amps on your seats. there should be plenty of room in the trunk to mount the amps. try mounting them on the back seat. If not mount the to the rear seats not the front.
Old 02-25-2006
Registered!!

Originally Posted by drew22mader
Try either buying the RSX seats or the SI seats, you won't regret getting those seats.
THe SI's will bolt right into the LX rails? WHere do you buy them...junkyards or can you get them new somewhere?

I think the 7thgen Honda Seats are the most terrible seats for comfort and have to be the ugliest ever!
You are not kidding!!! Just awful vs the other cars we have or owned before.

I figured out how to get the covers pulled up....if I didnt see a pic of the latch I'd never figured it out. At the very bottom of the back of the seat(recline it fully forward)...there is a plastic bar that the front of the OEM covering "plugs" into the back covering. I went to the far end...found the two pieces then pulled them apart slowly...hard to explain but once you see how its snapped together it comes apart easy.

BUT....I need to get the covers up all the way....which means removing the seat. NP with that....but has anyone taken off the plastic covers that are over the reclining lever?? The bolts to remove the back from the base are under that. Looks like it snaps on but I dont want to break anything taking them off. Thanks for any help!